Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #3541
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
We all enjoy the good laughs we get from HF Oilers and some of their insane posts. However there is a poster named GreatKeith that seems to have a level head when it comes to the Oilers and especially when it comes to why the franchise is what it is. As a lurker of the site I enjoy reading some of his viewpoints and feel his latest is posting is spot on.
TL;DR: The Oilers care more about one player than they do the entire team. That is why they fail.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #3542
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe Chia is secretly a Flames fan? I mean he kept the Canucks from winning a cup and now he’s ensuring that E stays NG.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 AM   #3543
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid being way back in the scoring race can't be sitting well with the fans
Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #3544
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
McDavid being way back in the scoring race can't be sitting well with the fans
Yep. They treat McDavid winning the Art Ross like their participation trophy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #3545
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the funny thing about the possibility of McDavid possibly wanting out at some point when he realizes he wont win there is that whatever team trades for him will be weakened significantly by what they have to give up. Either way, he is on a team with limited depth and likely not a great chance to win. No good
Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #3546
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
the funny thing about the possibility of McDavid possibly wanting out at some point when he realizes he wont win there is that whatever team trades for him will be weakened significantly by what they have to give up. Either way, he is on a team with limited depth and likely not a great chance to win. No good
Not if Chia is still in Edmonton.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #3547
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not if Chia is still in Edmonton.
Even then, I remain convinced that in today’s capped League that sets such a high value on young players/draft picks it would be difficult for any GM to move McDavid. The return is quite likely to be fairly underwhelming, and almost certainly not reflective of his value to the Oilers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 11-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #3548
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even then, I remain convinced that in today’s capped League that sets such a high value on young players/draft picks it would be difficult for any GM to move McDavid. The return is quite likely to be fairly underwhelming, and almost certainly not reflective of his value to the Oilers.

you are likely right. in the capped world, McDavid would likely command less than Eric Lindros before he even played in the NHL, combine that with Chia getting pennies on the dollar in most every trade he makes and it would be interesting.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #3549
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
combine that with Chia getting pennies on the dollar in most every trade he makes and it would be interesting.
Clearly we need to figure out which 1 for 1 trade we feel would make the most cents for Chia. Shouldn't be too hard...
Old 11-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #3550
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It could be an interesting exercise trying to gauge the trade value. If McDavid was put on the market today, who would be the best candidates and what would their trade package be?

I agree with you in general that it probably would be underwhelming (especially in the eyes of many Oilers fans) but I think it would most likely still be quite a haul.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #3551
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was helping my daughter (she's 5) with her activity book this morning

this next page will be SOOOOO educational!!!

ha! ha!

IMG_3079 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #3552
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It could be an interesting exercise trying to gauge the trade value. If McDavid was put on the market today, who would be the best candidates and what would their trade package be?

I agree with you in general that it probably would be underwhelming (especially in the eyes of many Oilers fans) but I think it would most likely still be quite a haul.
Absolutely. I think the starting point is to gauge a potential McDavid deal relative to the Matt Duchene trade—arguably the biggest deal of its kind in the capped NHL:

to Ottawa:
· Matt Duchene

to Nashville
· Kyle Turris

to Colorado:
· 2019 1st round pick
· 2019 3rd round pick
· Shane Bowers
· Andrew Hammond
· 2018 2nd round pick
· Samuel Girard
· Vladislav Kamenev

McDavid would garner a higher return than this, but how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 11-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #3553
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

A McDavid deal starts with the other team's best player - and they have to be young, and a legit star. Then add from there, with a very strong secondary piece, plus a couple more pieces to round it out.

The biggest problem would be that a fair amount of salary would also have to be coming back.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #3554
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A McDavid deal starts with the other team's best player - and they have to be young, and a legit star.
We're talking Chiarelli here...

I have this nightmare whereby Toronto acquires McDavid and somehow still retain Auston Matthews. With Chia, that's a distinctly possible scenario.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #3555
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its likely that if Edmonton wanted to trade McDavid and bring back a bunch of young stars and high draft picks most teams would refuse unless they could send back some undesirable contracts to even the dollars out.

I think most GM's are seeing the struggles that are happening when you have a top heavy player or two in your lineup salary wise, and cap space is everything.

I guess the question is, would you rather have McDavid as your top line guy making 12.5 million dollars a year scoring a gaudy 100 points, or two players making 6 million dollars each that maybe combined are scoring 140 points and making up your first line?

In a NHL where depth is king and cap space even more so, what gives you the most bang for your buck?

I mean a top line in Edmonton of McDavid, Draisaitl and Chiasson for example might be scoring 36 goals and 36 assists and be bringing in about 22 million dollars.

At the same time a Calgary line of Gaudreau, Monahan, and Lindholm for example is scoring 33 goals 45 assists and making about a 18 million dollars a year.

That extra 4 million can go a long way.

I don't know if I'm a GM if I'd want to build my team around one uber player anymore, I'd be more inclined to build around a core group of 3 or 4 players and have that cap flexibility. Plus blowing your brains out to the extent of lets say trading a young first line center, a young top pairing blueliner and future prospect and a first round pick for one player makes your team a lot less threatening in the future.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #3556
Sgrath
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I may be off base here, but it's almost as if the only team that could make the trade work in money and players is an expansion team.

Chia really has done God's work keeping E=NG.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #3557
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Absolutely. I think the starting point is to gauge a potential McDavid deal relative to the Matt Duchene trade—arguably the biggest deal of its kind in the capped NHL.

McDavid would garner a higher return than this, but how much?
For me, I'd push for more quality over quantity when compared to the Duchene deal. I'd want 4 top end assets. I'd be asking for a teams two best young players (under 23, at least one must be a Center, and both having 1st line/pairing potential) and 2 first round picks with options to control when they are used.

I would also use the opportunity to get rid of my detritus. If you want, McDavid you have to take Lucic too.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #3558
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any team in the league could make a deal for McDavid work and we would be fooling ourselves if we think otherwise.

Edmonton is far more screwed because of the Lucic, Russell, Sekera, Talbot, Draisaitl contracts more than McDavid.

This would never happen but the Flames could send a package around Monahan/Hanifin/Jankowski and make the money work. Gaudreau/Backlund/Kylington something like that works as well. Obviously he would NEVER be traded to Calgary.

Basically a team would need to send 2 of their solid $6M contracts and picks/prospects to make it work but 30 teams would try and get McDavid if he was getting shopped and any team would likely take the full $12.5M cap hit no problem
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #3559
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For me, I'd push for more quality over quantity when compared to the Duchene deal. I'd want 4 top end assets. I'd be asking for a teams two best young players (under 23, at least one must be a Center, and both having 1st line/pairing potential) and 2 first round picks with options to control when they are used.

I would also use the opportunity to get rid of my detritus. If you want, McDavid you have to take Lucic too.
Why dilute the value of the best player in the league by attaching an absolute boat anchor? Maximize what you get for the best player in the league.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #3560
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I honestly wouldn't do it for that kind of cost, and I would consider having to take Lucic an insult.

If I'm giving up my best young center and best young blueliner for example, and lets say they're very good, dumping them to bring in Connor doesn't make me a stronger team, then adding in 2 first round picks probably handicaps me even more.

I'm just not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze. Plus if a GM told me that I had to basically take on Lucic's deal, I would be like all Dragon's den with the I'm out, I'll just finish ahead of you in the standings.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Closed Thread