Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #3541
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

my only point is that there are options out there.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #3542
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal please.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #3543
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
my only point is that there are options out there.
With all due respect, out of all the players you mention as options, really only 1 player seems to be a solution to the Flames issues.

The others are either too expensive in terms of cap hit, too inconsistent to gamble on or are too valuable to their own club.

So that list that goes on and on... really doesn't.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #3544
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Neal please.
Cap hit and acquisition cost. Neal ain't gonna happen unless VGK is going to take on an anchor contract and then what else do we need to give up to acquire him?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #3545
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure there are a list of players that are available that I'm not thinking of. Duchene is even an option at this point.

And just because you don't like a player or think they'll work doesn't mean that management agrees. And a deal can be worked out to send a contract the other way or retaining salary. lots of options
Old 11-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #3546
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Friedman said on the morning show today that he thinks the Flames are still looking to add a scorer up front. He said if you have goaltending and are securely in the playoffs at the deadline, you have to go for it, as the margin of difference between playoff teams is so small now.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #3547
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'm sure there are a list of players that are available that I'm not thinking of. Duchene is even an option at this point.

And just because you don't like a player or think they'll work doesn't mean that management agrees. And a deal can be worked out to send a contract the other way or retaining salary. lots of options
My response really has nothing to do with me liking a player or not.
Even Reider seems like a bit of a impossible acquisition currently. AZ knows what they have in him and aren't going to give him away.

I'm being realistic in what other GM's will want, but also what the Flames have to give.

Let's take Mark Stone for instance. You named him. What do you think it would take for the Sens to let him go?

Evander Kane? Inconsistent as heck but still a strong supporting player. Does Buffalo give him away? Nope.

Duchene? What 3 pieces do we give up?

These players aren't realistic targets. Plain and simple and players of that caliber are going to cost in more ways than one.

BT went all in on D. And that's never a bad gamble. I think it would be irresponsible of him to start trading assets for guys who are overpaid and under-producing, don't you?

So now let's look at the players who are producing but are lesser known products, such as the JT Miller's of the NHL. What do you think it would take to acquire him?

I don't think that list is as long as you think it is. I'm not trying to argue with you by any means. I just see the landscape in a very different light is all.
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #3548
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
My response really has nothing to do with me liking a player or not.
Even Reider seems like a bit of a impossible acquisition currently. AZ knows what they have in him and aren't going to give him away.

I'm being realistic in what other GM's will want, but also what the Flames have to give.

Let's take Mark Stone for instance. You named him. What do you think it would take for the Sens to let him go?

Evander Kane? Inconsistent as heck but still a strong supporting player. Does Buffalo give him away? Nope.

Duchene? What 3 pieces do we give up?

These players aren't realistic targets. Plain and simple and players of that caliber are going to cost in more ways than one.

BT went all in on D. And that's never a bad gamble. I think it would be irresponsible of him to start trading assets for guys who are overpaid and under-producing, don't you?

So now let's look at the players who are producing but are lesser known products, such as the JT Miller's of the NHL. What do you think it would take to acquire him?

I don't think that list is as long as you think it is. I'm not trying to argue with you by any means. I just see the landscape in a very different light is all.
Wonder what it would take to get a guy like Kevin Hayes, who is about a .5 PPG but has played well beside talented guys in the past (I know of one in particular).
Old 11-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #3549
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wonder what it would take to get a guy like Kevin Hayes, who is about a .5 PPG but has played well beside talented guys in the past (I know of one in particular).
A lot. NYR use him up the middle where they have a lack of depth now, I can't see them wanting to move him.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #3550
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
It's believed Ott/Col/Nash were in discussions on 3 way trade involving Matt Duchene going to Sens. Talks have ended. No deal.

Darren Dreger‏Verified account @DarrenDreger 2m2 minutes ago
Sources say Senators GM has been pursuing Duchene since mid-September and discussions heated up in last couple of weeks.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-03-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #3551
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
It's believed Ott/Col/Nash were in discussions on 3 way trade involving Matt Duchene going to Sens. Talks have ended. No deal.

Sources say Senators GM has been pursuing Duchene since mid-September and discussions heated up in last couple of weeks.
Nashville gets Turris
Ottawa gets Duchene
Colorado gets Ekholm

GM'ing is easy
The Following User Says Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #3552
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger

Interesting. You’d have to think Nashville would be receiving either one very good roster player or a couple good ones out of the deal and Colorado would get futures. Wonder who Ottawa was considering sending to Nashville. Would’ve been pretty cool to see how that unfolded.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #3553
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Word on three-way: Duchene to OTT, Turris to NASH and not exactly sure on COL. Ekholm’s name came up, but no certainty he was in final deal
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #3554
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

CaptainCanada80 (would have) nailed that one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #3555
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
CaptainCanada80 (would have) nailed that one
Told you Easy!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #3556
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames reportedly want to sign a guy named Gaetan Haas from the Swiss league
Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #3557
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Provide a link and sources?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #3558
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Les Flames s'intéressent ŕ Gaëtan Haas

Not in english.

Translated:

Quote:
According to the "Watson" website, CP Bern striker Gaëtan Haas is closely followed by the Calgary Flames. The 25-year-old may well receive an offer from the Canadian franchise to move into NHL next year. But, the Swiss international, who signed an agreement until 2020 with the club of the Capital, would cross the Atlantic if he got a one-way contract, says his agent Jaro Tuma.

GAËTAN HAAS eliteprospects

Quote:
Gaetan Haas is an offensive center, who plays a reliable and smart two-way game. An excellent skater, who reaches very good top-speed and can make end-to-end rushes. Has soft hands and strong puck-skills. Haas sees the ice well and can play the point on the Power Play, distributing the puck using his excellent vision. He leads by example by competing hard for the puck, doing solid backchecking and not being afraid blocking shots, rounding out his solid defensive game. Haas can lead a team’s shutdown line. (by Rafik Soliman, November 2015)

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 11-07-2017 at 08:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #3559
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he's holding out for a one-way contract, he won't be signing next year. As a 26 year-old European, he'd have to sign an ELC, which is automatically a two-way deal.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #3560
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If he's holding out for a one-way contract, he won't be signing next year. As a 26 year-old European, he'd have to sign an ELC, which is automatically a two-way deal.
That's why this is such a great place. Great insight into the issue. Well done.