Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #3521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dry ride for me
Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #3522
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugh the folks that monitor the bragg creek trails report 20 mm of rain last night and they further suggest to not plan on riding this weekend.

maybe something in Banff or possibly canmore will be an option
Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #3523
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it's soggy around here, I might go check out Helena this weekend. Friday afternoon off, no kid this weekend, and it's sunny and 27 over there.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #3524
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just curious, what's everyone's local bike shop, and how have they treated you for service and repairs?
I purchased my bike at Bow Cycle, but I am looking for a new LBS as Bow Cycle seems to be too busy and takes too long for repairs.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #3525
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Was really impressed with Cyclepath North up in Royal Oak. Get great and quick service everytime I go in there.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #3526
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been going to cyclepath south for years now. it took a while, several bikes and a a bunch of money; however, I would say that I'd like to think I have established a solid relationship with them and I have been successful in buying stuff at what I consider a reasonable price.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #3527
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been at Bow for years, but I know a few people, bribe them with beer and get repairs more quickly.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #3528
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've mentioned Pedalhead on here before. They are located by the Canyon Meadows theatre and I can't speak highly enough of Alex and the other guys at the shop.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #3529
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
If it's soggy around here, I might go check out Helena this weekend. Friday afternoon off, no kid this weekend, and it's sunny and 27 over there.

Great place to ride! Favorite trails in the South Hills : Little Moab, Entertainment, Helena Ridge, Show Me The Horse, Rent Money, Walkina Sky, Emmets. If you hit those you will be glad you went! All fun flow!

Favorite loop to sample a fairly wide 30km area would be Walkina Sky (might be closed now as on private land?), Stairway to Heaven, Walkina Sky, Grizzly Gulch, Mckelvey, Helena Ridge, Emmets, Mini-Ridge (climb back up), Helena Ridge to Show Me The Horse and out on Grizzly Gulch. All the rides are right from town. You basically can't go wrong down there! Have fun!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #3530
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Great place to ride! Favorite trails in the South Hills : Little Moab, Entertainment, Helena Ridge, Show Me The Horse, Rent Money, Walkina Sky, Emmets. If you hit those you will be glad you went! All fun flow!

Favorite loop to sample a fairly wide 30km area would be Walkina Sky (might be closed now as on private land?), Stairway to Heaven, Walkina Sky, Grizzly Gulch, Mckelvey, Helena Ridge, Emmets, Mini-Ridge (climb back up), Helena Ridge to Show Me The Horse and out on Grizzly Gulch. All the rides are right from town. You basically can't go wrong down there! Have fun!
Well I'm intrigued. Was planning on going to Revy but not looking great there either. Maybe I'll make a rip down south.

Is the shuttle required or can you bike to most trailheads from town?

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 07-14-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #3531
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woke up multiple times over the night, kept hearing the rain (and then thunder around 5am) and decided not to commute today. Going to have to make up for it with a longer ride this weekend.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #3532
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you are looking for closer options, fernie and whitefish are both solid choices as well.

whitefish seems to have the better weekend forecast though.

I really enjoyed the whitefish trail.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #3533
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Been wanting to check out Helena for years (including the craft beers). Plus, Bossy's been singing the praises of the trails for a long time now. I will be pointing my car south at lunch today for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #3534
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ordered a Shimano Ultegra Compact Groupset, now I am looking for some high level tips for my next steps in building a decent, bargain, commuter. My assumption are the following, and please comment if I am off:
1) Go to a cycle shop to use their fancy measuring device to determine the optimum frame geometry for me
2) Buy an aluminum or carbon fibre frame
3) Buy the remaining components
4) Watch/read tutorials and build in my living room
Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #3535
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jealous. Would like to be able to drive to better weather/conditions, but...

I'm destined for 24 Hours of Mud/Adrenaline tomorrow ; )
Should be crazy...
-hoping the event in these conditions do not damage CNC trails...
Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #3536
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Well I'm intrigued. Was planning on going to Revy but not looking great there either. Maybe I'll make a rip down south.

Is the shuttle required or can you bike to most trailheads from town?

I did them all from town. 1. Mount Ascension maybe 2kms east from the downtown and Reeders Alley (must check this place out!). 2. Mount Helena you can approach from Swaney/Prairie/1906 side which is maybe 2kms north and a little west from downtown 3. Rodney Ridge you can ride from downtown also and within 2kms but trails leading up right from town. 4. Walkina Sky same thing just a few short KMs from downtown. 4 great trailheads all just a short pedal from downtown with linking trails along the way. The only way I would use a shuttle down there would be if I was going to ride the CDT which is about 20km west of town up at the top of Macdonald Pass.

There is more than enough trails right from town though. Nothing too technical (besides Little Moab, Hogback, Backside) but all fun and flowy. The Helena Ridge is the marquee trail in the area and 17.7km of amazing ridge riding. Never busy trails but always someone to point you in the right direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #3537
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

can the words bargain and carbon fibre really beliong in the same post about building a bike?

I always thought it is ultimately cheaper to purchase an already built bike and the only reason to go the route you are going is to have the pleasure of building it yourself, and really going with boutique parts selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I ordered a Shimano Ultegra Compact Groupset, now I am looking for some high level tips for my next steps in building a decent, bargain, commuter. My assumption are the following, and please comment if I am off:
1) Go to a cycle shop to use their fancy measuring device to determine the optimum frame geometry for me
Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #3538
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I was going to use the same four step process you are going to use, but then I realized I valued my safety and well-being too much. I also found it was cheaper to buy the bike already put together, as I couldn't find everything I wanted on sale. If I built the bike it would fall apart and I would likely end up in traffic. That assumes I'd even make it out of the driveway. I was also concerned that once I had it all together it wouldn't be fit properly. Hence, I've bought three bikes. Two of them came with a free fitting, and I paid to have the other one fit. I upgrade components here and there, and put on what I can. I can do minor things like brake pads, wheels, chains, etc. I had the shop do my seat, as I couldn't get it properly. When it comes time to replace my group set, I'll likely just buy it and get them to do it for me. It'll save me time and frustration.

Good luck with your build. Please post some pictures during the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #3539
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
if you are looking for closer options, fernie and whitefish are both solid choices as well.
Yeah, Fernie was the backup choice. Doesn't look great weatherwise down there either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
I did them all from town.
Thanks, that's some awesome info. Now to see if I can convince someone else to make the 7 hour drive!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #3540
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Yeah, Fernie was the backup choice. Doesn't look great weatherwise down there either.

Thanks, that's some awesome info. Now to see if I can convince someone else to make the 7 hour drive!

Cross at Del Bonita and then straight onto the interstate. 130-140km/hour with no risk of a ticket and there in 6 hours. Going through Lethbridge always costs me a half hour to 45 minutes.
Closed Thread