Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #3481
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Naw this is always how it happens, when smackdown started the first few shows were huge, same when it went live

They want to get people in the habit of watching the new show, those first few shows were always gonna be stacked, this is just another level

Sunday night heat would be a better example. Smackdown was a prime time show on a (weak) network to fight with wcw thunder, this is a 10pm show that will get half the viewers of dynamite.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #3482
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sunday night heat would be a better example. Smackdown was a prime time show on a (weak) network to fight with wcw thunder, this is a 10pm show that will get half the viewers of dynamite.
Nxt to Wednesday's is probably a good example as well

Regardless, they will stack the first few weeks cards to maximize viewership on the new show
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #3483
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So that United center Friday night show has to be punks return

They couldn't book that city and that venue and have leaned so hard into it with Darby and stings promo, for it not to be
Nah, Khan is a mark and wants the pop. It'll be at all in. Could see Bryan at the Friday night show though.

EDIT: This is actually one of the many things I appreciate about AEW. They don't try to pop ratings. They do surprises and hope the momentum carries them over to the following week. Very old school promoting.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 04:58 AM   #3484
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, say what you want about the Bucks, but they sold their asses off for Hangman.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #3485
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Christ, MJF is only 25.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:59 AM   #3486
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Jesus Christ, MJF is only 25.
I'm not sure that he reads this board/thread, but I would bet he knows his age already. Although, seeing how MJF doesn't follow his religion I doubt he cares much about MJF's age.

On the other hand, it's mind-boggling to think MJF is only 25.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #3487
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm not sure that he reads this board/thread, but I would bet he knows his age already. Although, seeing how MJF doesn't follow his religion I doubt he cares much about MJF's age.

On the other hand, it's mind-boggling to think MJF is only 25.
I do kind of think he's our generation's Flair. Maybe not a master in the ring but completely untouchable on the mic. Him and Sammy have legacy-defining rivalry built in I think.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #3488
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nxt to Wednesday's is probably a good example as well

Regardless, they will stack the first few weeks cards to maximize viewership on the new show

And then having John cena return on nxt? Yes agreed.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #3489
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, Khan is a mark and wants the pop. It'll be at all in. Could see Bryan at the Friday night show though.

EDIT: This is actually one of the many things I appreciate about AEW. They don't try to pop ratings. They do surprises and hope the momentum carries them over to the following week. Very old school promoting.
Didnt it come out after sting that TNT doesnt want them to do that anymore with big names?

It wants the ratings bump, meltzer said that I believe and he clearly gets info from some of the AEW VPs

So that's why Andrade, Christian, and I think someone else first appeared at the PPVs, I guess Black appearing at fyter fest a few weeks ago goes against that but hes not as big of a name in the general public as the others, also it was first show with fans so maybe they had that built in expectation

Either way, I agree with you on Khan, I think the last 6 months almost every call hes made is perfect. The American Dragon coming out for the friday rampage show would be a great swerve and save punk for all out
Old 07-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #3490
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do kind of think he's our generation's Flair. Maybe not a master in the ring but completely untouchable on the mic. Him and Sammy have legacy-defining rivalry built in I think.
Flair is the perfect example I hadn't thought of

Used to see the Miz ones, and it makes sense, but he has the edge miz doesnt have, not a knock on miz either hes had a great career

But MJF is incredible, and even in the last 2 years hes already improved a ton in the ring, By the time hes 30 who knows how much better he could get.

He has generational talent
Old 07-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #3491
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to say dynamite and smackdown were pretty much 1A and 1B, with nxt behind (it's gone back to pre dynamite era style as well), and Raw way behind, where it has maybe 30 minutes worth of entertaining content in the 3 hours, which is 2 segments,

But Khans run the last little while has pushed it ahead as the clear 1, even fixing his mistakes quickly, I.e chavo replacing vickie as Andrades manager, just such a better fit

They rarely have even a bad segment

I know I said it on wednesday too, but that opening 30 minutes of dynamite may have been the best 30 minutes on tv of any promotion this year

Everything was perfect, the cowboy opening leading to that MASSIVE hangman pop. The elite coming out like the space Jam Monstars. Match was awesome and had so many cool callbacks.
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #3492
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I used to say dynamite and smackdown were pretty much 1A and 1B, with nxt behind (it's gone back to pre dynamite era style as well), and Raw way behind, where it has maybe 30 minutes worth of entertaining content in the 3 hours, which is 2 segments,

But Khans run the last little while has pushed it ahead as the clear 1, even fixing his mistakes quickly, I.e chavo replacing vickie as Andrades manager, just such a better fit

They rarely have even a bad segment

I know I said it on wednesday too, but that opening 30 minutes of dynamite may have been the best 30 minutes on tv of any promotion this year

Everything was perfect, the cowboy opening leading to that MASSIVE hangman pop. The elite coming out like the space Jam Monstars. Match was awesome and had so many cool callbacks.
AEW are like a streaky hitter in baseball that also has solid advanced stats. They rarely strikeout and when they get locked into a streak, they're just outstanding.

I think the thing that makes TK a better booker than Vince is just humility. He's not afraid to admit when he screws up and is willing to call audibles when necessary, whereas Vince thinks he knows best. I also think AEW services their fanbase much better.

Prime example of this I think is how they're using Cody these days. He was over as hell when AEW started up but TK was smart enough to see that was a bit of a novelty and hasn't tried to push him too hard. He's put him in a perfect role as the mid card vet with enough clout and brand recognition that he can elevate new stars, but he's not the focal point.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #3493
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Flair is the perfect example I hadn't thought of

Used to see the Miz ones, and it makes sense, but he has the edge miz doesnt have, not a knock on miz either hes had a great career

But MJF is incredible, and even in the last 2 years hes already improved a ton in the ring, By the time hes 30 who knows how much better he could get.

He has generational talent

I remember that Miz in the beginning of his wrestling career had a lot of edge, but he's become the corporate guy. But I will say one thing about Miz, he's probably one of the best off the cuff mic workers since guys like Cena and Rock and Mick Foley faded.

I like MJF a great deal. He's a natural heel, he's not trying to be the cool heel or the likable heel. I will always say that the one thing that completely wrecked wrestling was the NWO wanting to be the cool likeable heel.

Wrestling is a simple story that is mainly the ages old battle of good versus evil. occasionally you'll have good versus good or bad versus bad, but its a simple story.

Because every heel wants to be the cool heel, or likable heel, we've lost the irredeemable vicious heel, and its to me a big loss.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #3494
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I like MJF a great deal. He's a natural heel, he's not trying to be the cool heel or the likable heel. I will always say that the one thing that completely wrecked wrestling was the NWO wanting to be the cool likeable heel.
The thing with MJF (I think Jericho talked about this) is he's actually a massive wrestling nerd and has encyclopedic knowledge of the industry back to the territory days. He also staunchly believes in maintaining kayfabe. Total throwback.

Like I said, I think him, Sammy, Britt, and Hangman are the future of the industry on the AEW side and I just don't see WWE creating new stars in the same way. It's such a shame too because WWE has the more talented roster, but they just refuse to let things develop organically.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:50 PM   #3495
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The thing with MJF (I think Jericho talked about this) is he's actually a massive wrestling nerd and has encyclopedic knowledge of the industry back to the territory days. He also staunchly believes in maintaining kayfabe. Total throwback.

Like I said, I think him, Sammy, Britt, and Hangman are the future of the industry on the AEW side and I just don't see WWE creating new stars in the same way. It's such a shame too because WWE has the more talented roster, but they just refuse to let things develop organically.

I think WWE does a better job of building stars on the woman's side. Maybe that's TJ's effect. But Belair is a megastar in the making for example. They've built a ton of home grown talent on the woman's side.

But yeah I agree on the men's side, who's the star of the future, I'm not sure I even see it in nxt right now.

Oh total Sasha heel turn.

I'm still not a huge fan of AEW's story telling to be honest.

Now this Sasha thing builds instant heat and was well done. SmackDown knows their secret sauce, Raw lost it in the dumpster and can't find it.

Maybe they need to hire us CP talking heads to write a show.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:52 PM   #3496
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

By the way Rube, I think you inadvertantly bought up a brilliant point. WWE has gone so far to hiring writers that are not linked to the business, don't love the business, have no clue how a feud or a match is structured, and are trying to do soap opera writing that WWE lost what made them great when they had passionate wrestling writers during the attitude and ruthless aggression eras.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:54 AM   #3497
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think WWE does a better job of building stars on the woman's side. Maybe that's TJ's effect. But Belair is a megastar in the making for example. They've built a ton of home grown talent on the woman's side.
I like Bianca and think she's one of the most athletically gifted superstars in all of wrestling, but I think Britt is miles ahead in terms of character development, mic work, etc., and I think AEW did a far superior job building her than WWE has with Bianca.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:40 AM   #3498
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

One thing I don't like about most of the WWE women's division is that characters all appear to have have been told to have a generic brand, have a catch phrase, be a social media influencer, and wear wrestling gear that looks like a million crayons were melted, blended, and dumped on their heads. AEW has been far better at creating believable women's characters IMO.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #3499
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Bray Wyatt (Wyndham Routunda) has been released by WWE.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:02 AM   #3500
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There was a picture over the last couple of days of Bray and he looked to be in phenomenal shape. There was a rumor that he took time away from the business because he took the death of Brodie extremely hard.

I would expect that the lunatic preacher will end up in AEW if he wants to keep wrestling. I've always liked his creativity and his mic work. Not a terrific worker though, but maybe the fiend gear hobbled him.

Its funny because one of the online reporters, I think Raj, had said that a major WWE stars contract was expiring in the next couple of days, sounds like its this one.

I think that AEW could bring him in as a salute to Brodie.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-31-2021 at 11:13 AM.