Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #3461
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’ve got the radwagon 4. Ask me anything!

Feel free to PM for my phone number as well and I can walk you through the bike.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #3462
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

We pulled the trigger on a RadRunner Plus a couple of weeks ago, for my wife and oldest to be able to use. Looking forward to it getting here and putting it through its paces.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #3463
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I’ve got the radwagon 4. Ask me anything!

Feel free to PM for my phone number as well and I can walk you through the bike.

Thanks. PM sent.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #3464
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yesterday i took my full suspension mtn bike into the shop for a tune up, brake bleed, fork and shock service etc and the labour will be around $400 - which was about $100 more than i suspected it might be.......i beleive this $400 incldues some new cables and what not as well as servicing of all the bike suspension parts/linkages etc.

today i need to take my gravel bike in - however, that should be less......
Old 03-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #3465
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always forget about Vitasport, not far from my place. Sure enough, they had a decent wheel for $125(they actually had 3 options in to choose from!). Super nice guy, hooked me up with everything I needed. Back in business!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 08:44 PM   #3466
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Vitasport is a great little shop. I love going in there to look at their vintage bikes. He almost sold me on a 70s Bianchi but I'm holding out for a celeste coloured one.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #3467
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Thoughts on Nakamuras as a kids bike? Decent brand yes/no?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #3468
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think for a kids bike you don't need to be that choosy so the nakamura will be fine. you just want a bike that runs properly and has working brakes.

now, if you kid is into racing or doing jumps then that may be a different story
Old 03-24-2022, 02:26 PM   #3469
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so over the course of the pandemic my office moved into 5th and 5th. today I took a tour of the bike and shower facilities and wow - what a setup.

the bike room has direct card secured access from the street. When you come in there is a bike wash station. Back in the room there is some hand tools and an air compressor. The room has video cameras and is supposedly patrolled.

the shower and change facilities are real nice and clean and towels are supplied.

I belevie that it was all recently renoed.

Props to the folks here who put this together, as i can't imagine a nicer facility. I cant see being overly worried about the security of my bike.

It will cost me $120 annually to use this. I will likely bike to work a little more in the summer to get miles in and use the facilities.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #3470
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just curious of the group who has cycled up the Moraine Lake road prior to it's opened up and how hard it is. I still consider myself a novice cyclist, but it's something I'd like to try and do. The incline is a bit scary to me as I've never really done significant climbing before, but did spend the indoor season (I'm fairweather) on Zwift pretty regularly and have climbed Alpe de Zwift a couple of times, though it takes me some time to do so and I understand I'm indoors doing that lol.

I'm not really concerned if it takes a good chunk of the day away, I just have a spare weekend on May long with nothing much going on and it seems like a good excuse to get away from Edmonton.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #3471
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where were you planning on starting? And when does it open?

I did it a couple of years ago, and I don’t remember thinking it was anything really brutal at all. Road was good and it was very beautiful, climby going in but nothing exceptionally steep.

The road out of Louise to the moraine lake road was the part I didn’t like. It was steep, road was in poor shape with not much of a shoulder, and it was quite busy with traffic. If you can avoid that part I would for sure.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #3472
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Where were you planning on starting? And when does it open?

I did it a couple of years ago, and I don’t remember thinking it was anything really brutal at all. Road was good and it was very beautiful, climby going in but nothing exceptionally steep.

The road out of Louise to the moraine lake road was the part I didn’t like. It was steep, road was in poor shape with not much of a shoulder, and it was quite busy with traffic. If you can avoid that part I would for sure.
You are probably better to take the dashed trail you can see here, if you aren't on a road bike. A bit longer, but avoids traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/CsDjVzieNHHUYbJ38

I've never road it, but xc skied the first half with my wife, who is a solid green skier. She was fine on it, so shouldn't be too steep.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2022, 07:04 PM   #3473
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is the old lake Louise tramline. Bit of a grunt at the start, but then a manageable uphill after that.

I recall it being a almost crushed gravel type surface
Old 03-27-2022, 12:09 AM   #3474
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Just curious of the group who has cycled up the Moraine Lake road prior to it's opened up and how hard it is. I still consider myself a novice cyclist, but it's something I'd like to try and do. The incline is a bit scary to me as I've never really done significant climbing before, but did spend the indoor season (I'm fairweather) on Zwift pretty regularly and have climbed Alpe de Zwift a couple of times, though it takes me some time to do so and I understand I'm indoors doing that lol.

I'm not really concerned if it takes a good chunk of the day away, I just have a spare weekend on May long with nothing much going on and it seems like a good excuse to get away from Edmonton.
We did it last year and it wasn't too bad. Take your time, if you've been training all winter you'll likely be fine. There were kids doing it when we went. If there's room you can park at the Moraine Lake Road gate, if not drive just past the gate (towards Lake Louise) and there's a parking lot immediately on your right. No need to ride up from the townsite.

Pack a lunch, park your bike, and hike up the rockpile when you get to the top. Such a treat to be there without crowds.
A few photos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPi4r4qAnlt/

Last edited by Torture; 03-27-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #3475
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should get my bikes back from the shop this week. I am looking forward to it as I feel I have my sliding bike hanging solution dialled in now and am just needing my bikes to hang.

I will post a video when I get this all together
Old 03-27-2022, 08:50 PM   #3476
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the comments and advice all, plan to do it with a friend of mine who is more experienced than I.

Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Deegee; 03-27-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:57 PM   #3477
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Managed about half the Ronde van set Cowtown epic in-town ride today before weather turned bad. Lots of city navigating required and definitely download the map to your computer. Some nasty steep hills - close to 20% back alley in Bridgeland being the worst. Definitely a lot to bite off for a single day but worth the tour of the city. Or consider breaking into 2 shorter days… hit the hill as your interval then soft pedal to the next one.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #3478
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Managed about half the Ronde van set Cowtown epic in-town ride today before weather turned bad. Lots of city navigating required and definitely download the map to your computer. Some nasty steep hills - close to 20% back alley in Bridgeland being the worst. Definitely a lot to bite off for a single day but worth the tour of the city. Or consider breaking into 2 shorter days… hit the hill as your interval then soft pedal to the next one.
Could you share the map for this? I didn't know it was a thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #3479
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We bought an ebike this week. Main purpose is so my wife can now tag along with me without me always stopping after finding myself a hundred metres ahead. Secondary purpose is for myself, now I should be able to keep up with KTrain et al if we want to do a CP ride; and they aren't doing the same thing.

This is what we bought, in case anybody is curious:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...-commuter-2024

Question for you guys- is there a way to have Strava not record my speed on a given ride? Yesterday I took it for a ~15km test run, mostly to see how it handles hills like Douglasdale. However I want my personal speed milestones to reflect my speed on a regular bike, not what I was able to do with electric assist.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #3480
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

You can change the activity type to E-Bike Ride. I don't think that will hide the speed, but it should remove that activity from segments and your PRs for those segments..
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: