Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2023, 11:42 AM   #3441
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Star Trek V is awesome and I will stand by that. So is Into Darkness. The only legitimately bad Trek film is Nemesis.

Nemesis main issue was actually something we are seeing a lot of in modern Sci-Fi/Fantasy that is causing issues. Directors/Show Runners who hold the source material/previous iterations in contempt.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:13 PM   #3442
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Apparently Slater was a massive Trekkie and just wanted to be in it, no matter how small the part. Pretty cool that they gave him his wish.
Anybody mentioned Seth Macfarlane yet? Family Guy... guy?

Wrote the preamble to one of the Trek books, and talked about when he dies and they look back on his career, the one thing that he wants to be known for is being Ensign Rivers on that one episode of Enterprise.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Rivers

Wish I could find the quote. Although in fairness it pre-dated his Orville days, so perhaps his opinion has changed.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:18 PM   #3443
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Orville was a love letter to traditional Trek, I don't think his opinion on it has changed.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #3444
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Anybody mentioned Seth Macfarlane yet? Family Guy... guy?

Wrote the preamble to one of the Trek books, and talked about when he dies and they look back on his career, the one thing that he wants to be known for is being Ensign Rivers on that one episode of Enterprise.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Rivers

Wish I could find the quote. Although in fairness it pre-dated his Orville days, so perhaps his opinion has changed.
The Orville was a wonderful homage to Trek. I'll never forget the spiral staircase.

Get MacFarlane on an episode of SNW! Make him some kind of Admiral of the Terran Federation in a Mirror Universe episode or something.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 07:01 PM   #3445
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Look...if you want to start poking holes in the very serious and complex plot of Star Trek 5 we could be here all night.

There was a 'fan dance' there were some rocket boots...maybe or not 'God' as well as all of Spock's extended family. They should have introduced Spock's dog.

Look...it was a bit of a muddled mess. I dont think anyone disputes that.

But, if we ask ourselves..."Why do we watch Star Trek 5" the only reasonable answer is..."Because its there."
Oh don't get me wrong, I still watch it.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:28 AM   #3446
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Star Trek V is awesome and I will stand by that. So is Into Darkness. The only legitimately bad Trek film is Nemesis.
Insurrection was truly a awful film, Nemesis was worse though and should have been called Star Trek, we're just cashing checks here.

I wasn't a big fan of the next generation films, because outside of First Contact, it felt like they could never capture the formula that made the TV series work.

By the time Insurrection came around the movies were basically the Picard and Data vehicle, and the rest of the cast became uninteresting or looked like they couldn't care less.

In terms of Star Trek V, yeah it was a below average movie at best, and had the misfortune of coming before a awesome Star Trek VI, and coming after the Spock Trilogy (TWOK, TSFS and TVG). You look at the Star Trek Movies that worked they offered either a really good villain, or threat.

The Best

Star Trek 2 - Khan, there is no better villain then him, I just wish they wouldn't have tried to recreate him in NuTrek.

Star Trek 3 - Kruge, Christopher Lloyd was absolutely awesome and chewed up the scenery in that movie and made for a satisfying villain death in the end.

Star Trek 4 - Yeah a whale probe isn't a villain, I doubt it was actually trying to murder humanity. But it was a really well created threat without an easy solution.

Star Trek VI - Christopher Plumber was excellent as the Shakespeare spouting villain. But he wasn't really the villain, the antagonist was humanities darker nature and Plumber was a weapon.

Star Trek - Nero, you could understand his reasons, but not his actions. He was obsession and vengence personified and Eric Bana put in a really good and serious performance.

In the middle

Star Trek TMP - This was as close to Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek as it gets. Because of that it was dry, lacked action and was just bland. But there were some absolutely brilliant story beats in this one. As a opponent, I loved the concept of V'ger. A probe that left earth was damaged and repaired and made sentient and returned home looking for its creator to ask the question "Is this all that I am". There was no malice as it seemed impossible to V'ger that humans were his creator so he saw them as parasites harming its ability to connect with its god.

Star Trek First Contact - The Borg are one of the most terrifying villains in the Star Trek universe. They are literally a combination of that zombie fungus that takes over insects minds and locusts. While Alice Kreige was great as the Queen, I never did like the idea of individuals within the collective, and ones that at times seemed to be really petty and emotional.

Star Trek into Darkness - Khan, I wish they would have left Khan alone. While they picked a great actor to portray him, he didn't feel like Khan at all. While RM's Khan was passionate and fiery, and later on obsessed with vengeance. This Khan was more cool and dispassionate for the most part, and I just felt that he didn't feel like Khan.

The Bad

Star Trek V - Pulling Spock's half brother emotionally handicapped out of their butt seemed weird, a holographic fake god, and a really bad Klingon didn't ever let you believe that they were a threat to Kirk. The way they killed the God was uninspiring.

Star Trek Insurrection - Ru'afo was just plain bad, he was basically a fall guy who pretty much lost at every turn, and the corrupt Star Fleet Admiral was more annoying then menacing.

Star Trek Nemesis - Poor Tom Hardy, this movie almost wrecked his career. But Shinzon was just so poorly written, and Star Trek's first foray into making a evil character just to be evil. But then again that whole movie should be strikened from the record.

Star Trek Beyond - Another franchise killing movie. But Krall just wasn't a standout villain, he felt more like a back ground villain then anything else, he wasn't interesting or brilliant in anyway, and he had zero charisma.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:25 AM   #3447
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luckily Tom Hardy didn't look like Tom Hardy in that movie or else yeah, that might have been it for him.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:47 AM   #3448
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Luckily Tom Hardy didn't look like Tom Hardy in that movie or else yeah, that might have been it for him.
Beware playing a Star Trek Villain...careers dont often improve afterwards.

Ugh...Star Trek Nemesis...what giant brain greenlit that script?

Wasnt it written by a fan?

"This looks cheap! great!"

Narrator: "It wasn't."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-31-2023, 12:36 PM   #3449
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Beware playing a Star Trek Villain...careers dont often improve afterwards.

Ugh...Star Trek Nemesis...what giant brain greenlit that script?

Wasnt it written by a fan?

"This looks cheap! great!"

Narrator: "It wasn't."
I still remember that there were so many eye rolling moments in Nemisis, and this was after the hype of John Logan being a writer. But they trusted the franchise to an inexperienced director who has never directed again.

But the creepy "Can I touch your hair line", or scanning the enemy ship and it had like 5000 torpedo tubes and 5000 phaser banks and a cloak. The whole rotten dune buggy chase. The B4 crap. Or the lets rape Troi mentally for no reason.

It was so amazingly ham handed and their were no surprises in how the movie went.

I sometimes wish that the Mystery Science 3000 crew would do a viewing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:40 PM   #3450
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont even remember it that well apparently.

Now I'm spending New Years' Eve watching Star Trek Nemesis. After the Flames game.

Old lang syne...something, something, nobody knows the words.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:00 PM   #3451
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should Nemesis just be forgot
And never talked about?
Should that accursed be blown up
And the mem'ry be wiped out?

Last edited by Ped; 12-31-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #3452
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Insurrection had been a two part episode, and they ditched the singing, and just let the thing breathe a little bit I still think it would of been good. Admiral Dbag was poorly cast, and F Murray Abraham really came off sub-par. I'm convinced he got screwed in editing, because he is just too good and cares too much for that to be it.

If Nemesis had been a two part episode, and they ditched the dune buggy, and just let the thing breathe a little bit I still think it would of been good. Did anyone know Ron Pearlman was in this movie? And Tom Hardy came off as really sub-par. I'm convinced he got screwed in editing, because he is just too good and cares too much for that to be it.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 09:15 PM   #3453
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The whole move got screwed in the directing. The Director did not want to make a star trek movie, he apparently reviled the franchise.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-31-2023, 09:23 PM   #3454
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The whole move got screwed in the directing. The Director did not want to make a star trek movie, he apparently reviled the franchise.
Did he not know what he was signing up for? Did the financers not know who they were signing up? Was it not obvious to everyone early on that this wasn't working?

I blame Frakes for not directing it because "he didn't want to just be a guy that directs Star Trek" but then ended up happily becoming that guy anyway. And we love him for it. If he wasn't so selfish he'd of gone right to the brass the moment it was amiss and said "eff this guy, I made a mistake, let me save this thing."

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:24 PM   #3455
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Did he not know what he was signing up for? Did the financers not know who they were signing up? Was it not obvious to everyone early on that this wasn't working?

I blame Frakes for not directing it because "he didn't want to just be a guy that directs Star Trek" but then ended up happily becoming that guy anyway. And we love him for it. If he wasn't so selfish he'd of gone right to the brass the moment it was amiss and said "eff this guy, I made a mistake, let me save this thing."
Hey! Star Trek has a long and proud history of ridiculous mismanagement!

Its part of our Ethos man!!

Old 01-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #3456
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-10-2024, 12:32 PM   #3457
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
If Insurrection had been a two part episode, and they ditched the singing, and just let the thing breathe a little bit I still think it would of been good. Admiral Dbag was poorly cast, and F Murray Abraham really came off sub-par. I'm convinced he got screwed in editing, because he is just too good and cares too much for that to be it.

If Nemesis had been a two part episode, and they ditched the dune buggy, and just let the thing breathe a little bit I still think it would of been good. Did anyone know Ron Pearlman was in this movie? And Tom Hardy came off as really sub-par. I'm convinced he got screwed in editing, because he is just too good and cares too much for that to be it.
Both Insurrection and Nemesis were poor scripts. Insurrection itself was a recycled TV episode script extended to movie length. A lot of the Berman era blandness was also infecting the process. Patrick Stewart's creative control to make himself an action star in action scenes also ruined them. Looking back now, even First Contact is a nonsensical and not-so-great film. TNG never got its great character moments movies or great concept movies like TOS. They were just like television calibre stories.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:54 PM   #3458
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Both Insurrection and Nemesis were poor scripts. Insurrection itself was a recycled TV episode script extended to movie length. A lot of the Berman era blandness was also infecting the process. Patrick Stewart's creative control to make himself an action star in action scenes also ruined them. Looking back now, even First Contact is a nonsensical and not-so-great film. TNG never got its great character moments movies or great concept movies like TOS. They were just like television calibre stories.
I still don't get what Picard was saying about the Borg invading their space and assimilating worlds. Like so they're just hanging out close to the Federation?
Old 01-10-2024, 12:57 PM   #3459
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I still don't get what Picard was saying about the Borg invading their space and assimilating worlds. Like so they're just hanging out close to the Federation?
I think they were making probing moves on the Federation and picking up colonies and such. Not a full fledged invasion as yet, but certainly the precursor.

I don't think Picard's statement was just about losing Federation worlds, but more so that they were very clearly encroaching on the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and the general response from the major powers was to kick the can down the road, and just avoid them. Also, he justifiably hates the Borg and views their threat as much more severe than many probably do.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-10-2024, 10:23 PM   #3460
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently a new Abrams-produced Trek film is in the works, but set before the other movies. https://deadline.com/2024/01/andor-t...ng-1235712646/
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote