Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #3421
BrolyTheUnholy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why does it grind your gears, specifically? Are you talking about co-workers? Employees? Employers?

I think in general, meeting the requirements of your job IS your job, but everything above it isn’t, and going above it should be commendable, while avoiding doing so should just be seen as doing your job.
I've worked at jobs where people actually got reprimanded for going "outside of their wheelhouse" and doing things that weren't in their job description. Sometimes you just have to play it safe and do exactly what you were hired for. No more, no less.
BrolyTheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #3422
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolyTheUnholy View Post
I've worked at jobs where people actually got reprimanded for going "outside of their wheelhouse" and doing things that weren't in their job description. Sometimes you just have to play it safe and do exactly what you were hired for. No more, no less.
Gross

Interesting insight into office life, but I'm glad my work is meritocratic.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #3423
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Absolutely if it’s just working your defined hours, no problem with that, but it’s being commandeered by people that just want to do the bare minimum. The ‘that’s not my job’ crowd. Those people gmg.
My rules are simple. If I am getting paid, and the job needs to be done, then its my job.

That said, if there are two people working, and one person gets paid more, any exceptional work is their job. I'll help. But extra wages come with extra responsibility.

If I am not going to be getting paid, then I am not doing it. Only exception being, I ####ed up and need to make up for it, or the extra work was my idea because I can't keep my mouth shut and tried to change the world.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #3424
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Employees. I work at the hospital where there are a many separate departments. Even within nursing there’s several groups(OR, recovery, endo, ward, pain clinic, etc.). Being lazy and not helping your co-workers by not communicating, tunnel vision and not looking around seeing if people need help, whatever.

If an instrument doesn’t get turned around and processed because people aren’t paying attention, surgeries get delayed or cancelled. Even a minor delay can cause the last case to get pushed back until the days slate is done and a new surgeon comes on. Then the whole case has to be repicked.

Nobody in our department misses their breaks and any time past 8 hours for us is overtime, as it should be. If you are in health care and looking after patients, whether directly or indirectly you should be prepared to go the extra mile once in a while. They all get paid for their time.

Most staff are really good but the ####ty ones can have an impact.

That sounds a lot more like the “work to rule” than “quiet quitting”. I’d define the latter as closer to not staying late, not responding to after hours requests, running office errands in personal vehicle, etc - but all done professionally and not causing hardship on coworkers. What you described sounds more like a “put the request in to my supervisor if you want me to do that” kind of thing. That all depends too on what is going on in that person’s sphere of responsibilities. Are they being asked to abandon something that is also important to help with your task, or are they really just being unhelpful out of principle.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #3425
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolyTheUnholy View Post
LOL, I just had this happen to me yesterday. One of our tasks is supposed to be sent to another dept to complete and the whole process takes a day or two to get back to us. The actual task itself takes 30 seconds, so I just completed it myself and later got an email from the supervisor "reminding" me that this creates unrealistic expectations from our clients as some will expect us to complete it in 30 secs and will now complain if told it takes a day or two. That's fair I suppose but maybe the expectation should be 30 seconds, no? Anyway, I hate little red tape inefficiencies like that so brought it to my manager who now wants the process reviewed, so maybe I win in the end.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #3426
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I was walking the dog last night and saw two houses that already have their Christmas tree up. How can people stand to have them up for two months? I put mine up a couple weeks before Christmas and it comes down right after the new year.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #3427
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

One time my wife put up the Christmas tree too early and she was so sick of the boys playing with it and wrecking it that it came down on Dec. 25. Like, opened presents, and then tree away.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 08:30 PM   #3428
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That sounds a lot more like the “work to rule” than “quiet quitting”. I’d define the latter as closer to not staying late, not responding to after hours requests, running office errands in personal vehicle, etc - but all done professionally and not causing hardship on coworkers. What you described sounds more like a “put the request in to my supervisor if you want me to do that” kind of thing. That all depends too on what is going on in that person’s sphere of responsibilities. Are they being asked to abandon something that is also important to help with your task, or are they really just being unhelpful out of principle.
Fair. I may have used the wrong term but these people still gmmfg. Mostly because I think if you're getting paid you should at least try and do a good job but also because I'm the one that gets called into the OR to look at the #### up and see if it can be salvaged/witness the #### up so I can educate the employee responsible or explain to the surgeon/OR staff why he/they can't use the equipment they really wanted to use. Or why the next surgery is delayed because they had to open the set/instrument they planned to use on the next case for the current one because someone ####ed up the current one.

####

Last edited by Zevo; 11-04-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #3429
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair. I may have used the wrong term but these people still gmmfg. Mostly because I think if you're getting paid you should at least try and do a good job but also because I'm the one that gets called into the OR to look at the #### up and see if it can be salvaged/witness the #### up so I can educate the employee responsible or explain to the surgeon/OR staff why he/they can't use the equipment they really wanted to use. Or why the next surgery is delayed because they had to open the set/instrument they planned to use on the next case for the current one because someone ####ed up the current one.

####
I'm all for employees exercising their rights and not being abused into over-work but in a medical setting I am shocked someone would say "not my job" and be negligent when lives are on the line. Maybe I'm being really naïve but I can't imagine someone going into life-saving medical and all the training and such that goes into that to then dangerously mail it in.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #3430
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any non-gross public bathroom in downtown? I figured I could wait until I got home but thought I might not last the bus ride back home. I tried Dragon City and the Hyatt and was basically told to eff off. I had to go back to Craft to use their facilities and hope they remembered that I was there previously.

Anyways, Calgary needs some more pay public bathrooms.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #3431
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I was walking the dog last night and saw two houses that already have their Christmas tree up. How can people stand to have them up for two months? I put mine up a couple weeks before Christmas and it comes down right after the new year.
had to check the thread title again to see if it was gear grinder because this seemed too grinch like to be something that somebody would actually post on here lol
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:50 PM   #3432
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Is there any non-gross public bathroom in downtown? I figured I could wait until I got home but thought I might not last the bus ride back home. I tried Dragon City and the Hyatt and was basically told to eff off. I had to go back to Craft to use their facilities and hope they remembered that I was there previously.

Cowboy up. Pee in the dirt. Ya @&*#
Lol.
/ green
Old 11-04-2022, 10:59 PM   #3433
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Cowboy up. Pee in the dirt. Ya @&*#
Lol.
/ green

Yeah, peeing is no problem - but not going to squat in an alley without any t.p. though.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:59 PM   #3434
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Woah going back all the way to Craft? Like on 10th? That is an insane walk from the Hyatt when you gotta go. If you were by the Hyatt I think that public skating rink across from city halls has public washrooms. Of course, they are absolutely monstrous and you risk life and limb and have a high chance of being mugged by drug addicts- but alas- it’s there in a pinch.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:24 AM   #3435
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Woah going back all the way to Craft? Like on 10th? That is an insane walk from the Hyatt when you gotta go. If you were by the Hyatt I think that public skating rink across from city halls has public washrooms. Of course, they are absolutely monstrous and you risk life and limb and have a high chance of being mugged by drug addicts- but alas- it’s there in a pinch.

It wasn’t a dire emergency, but after two rejections I figured my best bet was just go back to somewhere I actually patronized earlier. I am just disappointed how you get treated like you’re going to destroy the bathroom or something. People are so judgmental. I suppose I shouldn’t complain about that. It’s their bathroom to protect how they see fit, but Dragon City used to be my go-to prior to the pandemic. Now they’re passive-aggressive with the key-code and signs everywhere.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #3436
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's why you just slip in like you are a customer and track down the bathroom before any one has the chance to say anything or even notice you did it (assuming you've picked a key/code less venue) . always better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission in those cases

a full bladder /ground hogging has a way of making a man exceptionally brave in the moment
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:04 AM   #3437
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

There's a Tim's around the corner from Craft. By the Hyatt you could've gone to Palomino.

You'd be surprised how many office building have accessible bathrooms. Even if they require a code theyre easy to get as long as you don't look homeless.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:21 AM   #3438
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
A literal pinch, apparently
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #3439
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't remember last time I took a #### in public. I'll rupture my colon and die of sepsis before I do that
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #3440
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I'm all for employees exercising their rights and not being abused into over-work but in a medical setting I am shocked someone would say "not my job" and be negligent when lives are on the line. Maybe I'm being really naïve but I can't imagine someone going into life-saving medical and all the training and such that goes into that to then dangerously mail it in.
It's is shocking but I've learned to never underestimate the ability of some people to be selfish. Just look at anti-vaxers and the freedom convey.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote