Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #3401
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think there's room to be skeptical about every possible solution and it's effectiveness. Problem being, you eventually have to pick one, because I can't imagine anything worse that continuing to do nothing.
Or you can pick multiple. It doesn't have to be this one thing, you can start somewhere and see if it has the significant impact you're hoping for. Moreover, it's not like any particular policy has to eliminate the problem. There's enough room for improvement that a 25% reduction would be absolutely enormous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
In your mind, what would a round of 9mm or .223 ammo cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Or more is fine too. $200? I think someone's life is worth at least $4. That seems fair.
I'd go much farther than that. $50 per round would be fine by me for 9mm ammo. Hell, apply that to every bullet except 30-06 and .308 (which I think are the most popular bullets used for hunting) and see what happens.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 06-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #3402
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Tax and insurance. Infecting American gun culture with two of the things Americans hate to pay for most is genius.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #3403
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Corsi and I agree on something. Clearly the end times are upon us.

I was foolishly trying to be somewhat reasonable in my response to whiteout's question. Realistically I'd be fine with any increase especially if it made recreational shooting prohibitively expensive.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #3404
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Logically, I would imagine that any effort to tax bullets to the point necessary to achieve any noticeable change would be viewed by American courts as a de facto effort to ban firearms, and therefore unconstitutional.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #3405
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pro-gun lobby would fight a bullet tax just as much as they'd fight a gun tax.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #3406
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I have yet to hear anyone explain why this is a bad idea, other than "it makes hunting prohibitively expensive".
Because many people will cast their own. It's estimated over 12 billion rounds (cartridges) are purchased every year in the states. Stockpiles are knee deep, never mind the people with the capacity to reload. Hello black market!

Re: firearm insurance. I have a insurance policy covering firearm use, $6 million in liability. Costs me $5 a year. I know I know... Canada vs the US.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #3407
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
It's estimated over 12 billion rounds (cartridges) are purchased every year in the states.
Holy cow, is that true? Geezus. If that's the case, if you laid every bullet sold in the States every year end to end, you'd have one long-ass line of bullets!

Seriously though, what the hell are people doing with all these bullets?

It always makes me wonder -- every time some gun nut ends up in the news, they do say something like "authorities found 61 firearms and more than 90,000 rounds of ammunition in the basement of the home he shares with his wife and dogs".

What was he going to do with all those guns, let alone all those bullets?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #3408
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Holy cow, is that true? Geezus. If that's the case, if you laid every bullet sold in the States every year end to end, you'd have one long-ass line of bullets!

It always makes me wonder -- every time some gun nut ends up in the news, they do say something like "authorities found 61 firearms and more than 90,000 rounds of ammunition in the basement of the home he shares with his wife and dogs".

Armageddon/race war/overthrowing the Rothschilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #3409
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

Shooting and stockpiling. I'm not sure how many rounds are fired each year, no real figures for that other than people spitballing to try and guess. But the number of cartridges discharged would be rather high I assume.

I guess some people collect pogs, some collect ammo. I know shooters who shoot thousands of rounds every week. Shooting a few hundred rounds inside a hour long session at the range is not out of the ordinary.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #3410
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because many people will cast their own.
I've no doubt that a black market would spring up, but I doubt the average person is going to go running out to try to learn how to make bullets. The result would still be that it would be far more expensive to fire a gun. That being said, the volume of bullets already stockpiled might present a similar issue to the number of guns out there...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #3411
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I read a study that theorized that more weapons came in by overseas transports into LA then weapons coming over the border from Mexico.

There was a report a few years back that stated the same thing for Canada and that there was a fear that the dock workers in Vancouver were completely infiltrated by criminal gangs.

Its probably easier to smuggle a large amount of guns in by sea then to go with smaller shipments coming over the border in legitimate looking transports.
There's no point in smuggling guns into the US when you can buy them cheaply anywhere on the grey market, it is also pointless smuggling them into Canada, you want a gun you drive down across the line and buy it in the US for a hundred bucks more than it cost the guy who's selling it to you.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #3412
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone on this forum actually fired a gun at a range? It is so fun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #3413
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way to fire a gun at a gun range is to not care slightly about accuracy, and just unload that clip like you're in the shootout scene in Heat.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #3414
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if these dingos have their way, you won't be able to do it both ways - the way God intended. Right, Pepsi?
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 04:46 AM   #3415
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Calgary's local shooting range is quite fun and reasonably priced. I've been a couple times, and I took my wife once. Bought 400 rounds. 100 for each of us for a glock and an M5, since she wanted to know what shooting a handgun and a "machine gun" was like. She enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 AM   #3416
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
There's no point in smuggling guns into the US when you can buy them cheaply anywhere on the grey market, it is also pointless smuggling them into Canada, you want a gun you drive down across the line and buy it in the US for a hundred bucks more than it cost the guy who's selling it to you.
Check these links out.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3543070/canadian-man-smuggled-guns-via-us-canada-border-library-prosecutors/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-man-gun-smuggling-vermont-1.4170435
http://newportvermontdailyexpress.com/content/woman-charged-gun-smuggling-derby-line
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #3417
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I would encourage anyone to go check out their local range, talk to some people and try it out. It's a safe environment, you will learn a few things and beyond that find that the people involved in the shooting sports are a diverse group who are more than willing to help new shooters do things the right way with safety and respect in mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #3418
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said, there's no point in smuggling guns into the US, anyone, even a Canadian, can easily buy a gun, a hundred guns, in the states.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #3419
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would encourage anyone to go check out their local range, talk to some people and try it out. It's a safe environment, you will learn a few things and beyond that find that the people involved in the shooting sports are a diverse group who are more than willing to help new shooters do things the right way with safety and respect in mind.
like this guy

Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #3420
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canada has a higher participation rate against all demographics in the shooting sports than even hockey. One of the best 3-gun shooters in the world and national champion is a openly gay man. The largest growing demographic in the shooting sports right now is women.

So no, duffman, your preconceived notions are off base and wrong. Nice avatar.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread