Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #3381
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the advice all... I realize it was quite a broad question so I appreciate the tips.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #3382
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If you're looking for more realistic scenery, you should check out https://fulgaz.com. It's less social than Zwift so if you don't care about those things it should do the trick for you.
What sort of sensor do you have to purchase to put on your bike to measure the cadence/interact with the app?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #3383
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I usually have Zwift on my iPad and watch a movie or something on the TV. I honestly don't use the social aspects all that much but do enjoy the app.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:48 PM   #3384
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Took the winter beater around the block for a spin to make sure it was all working properly.

Cop pulls up beside me on a residential street and tells me to ride on the sidewalk and that because of "the conditions" people might not be able to brake in time for me. 30 seconds later, awkward interaction with a pedestrian that wasn't expecting me.

Last edited by Torture; 01-09-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 AM   #3385
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
What sort of sensor do you have to purchase to put on your bike to measure the cadence/interact with the app?
I've had a smart trainer for years so I'm a bit removed from looking at those things.

I did buy the Wahoo speed and cadence sensors for my kids bike when he wanted to try Zwift (free for kids under 16 BTW). It seemed to do the trick but I'm not sure how accurate it is compared to outside.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #3386
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Took the winter beater around the block for a spin to make sure it was all working properly.

Cop pulls up beside me on a residential street and tells me to ride on the sidewalk and that because of "the conditions" people might not be able to brake in time for me. 30 seconds later, awkward interaction with a pedestrian that wasn't expecting me.
I can only assume that cop was pulling over every single vehicle and telling them to get off the road too because they might not be able to stop and will rear end another vehicle...
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #3387
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

feeling like a bit of a cycling slug as so far this winter i have ridden my fat bike twice (have been going to the gym more often and skiing this winter).

i had hoped to get out yesterday; however, i was sidelined thanks to my booster shot on friday.

Hopefully i can find some time to get out this week.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:12 PM   #3388
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fish Creek was magnifique for fatbiking this weekend past...

Quick trail report and pics at my latest project, Trail Lynx, not-for-profit social enterprise, highlighting trail reports, ride/trip plans, product reviews, etc...

Link to report: https://hellonatureward.wixsite.com/...reek-fatbiking
Old 01-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #3389
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Curious about thoughts on riding my cross bike in fish creek, I realize that in Bragg and Canmore where the trails are groomed, skinny tires are frowned upon.
But what about fish creek, these trails aren't groomed and are post holed from walkers, half the people I see down there are on mountain bikes.
Just looking for thoughts, guy was commenting that I shouldn't as it's rude but as this is not a groomed trail so I was hard pressed to find myself caring.
Cross bike on the packed snow is a ton of fun anyways.
This could go in the AITA thread but I think I'd get a more knowledgeable response here
Old 01-10-2022, 03:58 PM   #3390
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Curious about thoughts on riding my cross bike in fish creek, I realize that in Bragg and Canmore where the trails are groomed, skinny tires are frowned upon.
But what about fish creek, these trails aren't groomed and are post holed from walkers, half the people I see down there are on mountain bikes.
Just looking for thoughts, guy was commenting that I shouldn't as it's rude but as this is not a groomed trail so I was hard pressed to find myself caring.
Cross bike on the packed snow is a ton of fun anyways.
This could go in the AITA thread but I think I'd get a more knowledgeable response here
My opinion would be to use your best judgement. Fish creek a different animal than, as you said, the groomed trails of WBC, CNC, Kananaskis VIllage, etc.

If you're not causing damage to the trails, making tons of ruts, than I say go for it. Seems to me (no expert on the matter) that Fish gets a ton of different types of traffic and trails tend to get packed pretty good.

Before I had a fatbike, I would ride mtn bike with studded tires in Fish.

I may have passed if you were out this weekend - at least I think one cross bike guy stopped for me on one trail!

JFR

(Just #####ing ride - my mantra ; )
Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #3391
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
My opinion would be to use your best judgement. Fish creek a different animal than, as you said, the groomed trails of WBC, CNC, Kananaskis VIllage, etc.

If you're not causing damage to the trails, making tons of ruts, than I say go for it. Seems to me (no expert on the matter) that Fish gets a ton of different types of traffic and trails tend to get packed pretty good.

Before I had a fatbike, I would ride mtn bike with studded tires in Fish.

I may have passed if you were out this weekend - at least I think one cross bike guy stopped for me on one trail!

JFR

(Just #####ing ride - my mantra ; )
I was out two weeks ago, ran out of daylight this past weekend before I could get out. I'll be booting around both days on the weekend coming up as long as the weather holds, so I may see you then
Old 01-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #3392
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If you're looking for more realistic scenery, you should check out https://fulgaz.com. It's less social than Zwift so if you don't care about those things it should do the trick for you.
Have you tried Rouvy which has many FulGaz type videos as well and if so why did you stick with FulGaz over it?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #3393
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post

Wow, I hope you politely but firmly suggested to him that he might need a refresher on the traffic safety act. This cop’s “advice” was wrong on multiple counts (as I’m sure you know).

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-10-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #3394
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Have you tried Rouvy which has many FulGaz type videos as well and if so why did you stick with FulGaz over it?
I’ve actually never used either. I know more people on Fulgaz though so I assumed it was a more polished platform.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 08:44 PM   #3395
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Something worth noting, what I am calling the "Lynnview Bypass" was open when I tried it today. Basically a straight shot from the Bonnybrook bridge to Glenmore along the west side of the river. There were a few sets of ashes from homeless camps so I don't think I'd be taking that route after dark.

It was nicely plowed; probably the best stretch of my entire commute.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #3396
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that is intereeting, makes for an option.

for me, i live in new brighton and if i ever get to ride to the office again, i wonder how i would incorporate that section into my ride to avoid the full lynnview climb, as i could ether cross the river at carburn park and then stick to the west side - which seems longer than heading thru carburn park - or make half the climb up lynnview, circle back a bit and take the glenmore to cross back over the river and then jump on this new path, or just finish the climb up lynnview and stay on the east side which just seems easier.

of course if i really wanted a workout, i could just stay on the west side the whole way, go up into diamond cove, down again, then could cross over to the east side and climb up douglasdale by the ball diamonds, or add on more smiles by staying on the west side to the mckenzie bridge
Old 01-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #3397
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yesterday I went continued south of Glenmore, past the car dealerships, through the dog park, and then crossed the river just south of Carburn park to head into Quarry Park. Then along the path to 130th. (I live in Copperfield, so similar commute to you.) That increased my ride from 27.25 km to 27.69 km. However avoiding the Lynnview hill, and also with how busy Carburn park is with pedestrians, I think that's worth it.

I will say that the E-W path behind the soccer fields (between New Brighton and 130 ave) was terrible. I had seen the east section was plowed, however the west part was not. Even with my mountain bike there were parts I had to walk the bike.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #3398
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yesterday I went continued south of Glenmore, past the car dealerships, through the dog park, and then crossed the river just south of Carburn park to head into Quarry Park. Then along the path to 130th. (I live in Copperfield, so similar commute to you.) That increased my ride from 27.25 km to 27.69 km. However avoiding the Lynnview hill, and also with how busy Carburn park is with pedestrians, I think that's worth it.

I will say that the E-W path behind the soccer fields (between New Brighton and 130 ave) was terrible. I had seen the east section was plowed, however the west part was not. Even with my mountain bike there were parts I had to walk the bike.
Rode that last night, wind definitely filled in the path in the last week. Was down to the pavement but now there are three foot drifts behind courts. Almost rode the whole section but broke through the crust in a couple spots.
It did suck but I just look at it as a game to see how far I can get. Rest of the ride was a blast
Old 01-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #3399
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ken - i am a little surprised and the small amount of difference in smileage. i was thinking 2 to 3 extra km's
Old 01-20-2022, 09:35 AM   #3400
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Weekend is looking great, anyone going out for a ride?