Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #3381
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Oh yeah, fair enough - I didn't notice it was the Sens. That makes it a little better. If that turns out to be a top 5, then we're getting closer.
I actually think that is a pretty bad deal for the Avs. Rantanen is on pace for more points this year than McDavid. Given that they are from the same draft class outside of a slow first year he has been somewhat comparable with McDavid, at a bare minimum not so significantly worse than him to justify 3 first rounders to be thrown on to the pile. McDavid had 24 more points than Rantanen last year. This year Rantanen is on pace for 17 more points than McDavid. I am not sure whatever intangibles he brings are worth an additional 3 first round draft picks which could set up the Avs to have the type of young depth needed in a cap world to compete longterm.

The Oilers on the other hand, who actually need a 5th rebuild should be interested. It allows them to ride out the bad contracts in a rebuild, they would get 5 first rounders over the next two years and a good young player in Rantanen. A trade like that could help the Oilers rebuild depth quicker than their current 2-4 year trajectory in an optimistic world. The good thing is that the Oilers would never consider moving McDavid, so it is an irrelevant point. But on a pure hockey level I would seriously look at that trade if I was the Oilers.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #3382
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
A deal I thought of this morning that could work out for both teams.

To Col: McDavid
To EDM: Rantanen + Avs 1st (19)+ Sens 1st (19) + Avs 1st (20)

They get a similar aged young superstar and 3 draft picks which could include 1 very high pick. Maybe the Avs could put conditions on their 2020 pick if that is too much going back to the Oil. It eliminates the issue of paying Rantanen 2-3M more per season than McKinnon and gives the Avs the 2 fastest centers in the league. Oilers build their top line around Draisaitl and Rantanen and have 3 1st rounders next draft (1-2 would be high picks).
Honestly, I wouldn't do that trade if I was Colorado. Yes, McDavid is the better player and has more marketability, but having him destroys cap flexibility. Having three 1st rounders and potentially drafting young players that can help the cap by contributing on entry level contracts, is a big advantage in the cap world.

Plus, Rantanen is elite in his own right.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #3383
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a parody this is a real thread on HF

With so many holes on this team should we consider trading McDavid to fix the problems
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #3384
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

HF oilers board actually have a thread suggesting they tank for Jack Hughes...

what a travesty that would be... NHL needs to rejig the "Oiler rules" again... one first overall pick every 5 years...2 top 2 picks every five years and 3 top three picks every five years.

its damn embarrassing to the league

edit i wouldn't touch that trade for McDavid if i were colorado

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 11-26-2018 at 10:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #3385
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
HF oilers board actually have a thread suggesting they tank for Jack Hughes...

what a travesty that would be... NHL needs to rejig the "Oiler rules" again... one first overall pick every 5 years...2 top 2 picks every five years and 3 top three picks every five years.

its damn embarrassing to the league

edit i wouldn't touch that trade for McDavid if i were colorado

Relegate the team to the AHL and brink up another team.

Bettman should completely pull the Oilers balls out of the lottery machine if they finish in a position to draft first.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #3386
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Now come up with something clever for what his jersey number "re" means
Maybe if he reverses his numbers he can paddle back through time to the date of the lottery for a re-draft.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #3387
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He can do it all!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #3388
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The thing is EVERY team in the NHL has a player or two who likely draws more penalties than are actually called. The Oilers and McDavid are not special.
Exactly the reason why I loathe when Flames fans on CP constantly whine about non-calls in PGTs.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:34 AM   #3389
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Relegate the team to the AHL and brink up another team.

Bettman should completely pull the Oilers balls out of the lottery machine if they finish in a position to draft first.
That may work, problem is that Bettman has no clue or care that the NHL actually has teams in Edmonton and Calgary...
Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #3390
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
That may work, problem is that Bettman has no clue or care that the NHL actually has teams in Edmonton and Calgary...
Bettman is a huge reason there are still teams in Edmonton and Calgary. This lazy narrative that Bettman hates Canada and is ambivalent about our teams is just ridiculous.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #3391
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Might want to read up on the 90s relocations. Because Bettman is a reason there is still hockey in Calgary...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #3392
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good VI: Chia•den•freu•de

Bettman will also be a big reason why there might not be any more hockey in Calgary if taxpayers refuse to give the owners a free lunch on the arena deal.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #3393
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Not a parody this is a real thread on HF

With so many holes on this team should we consider trading McDavid to fix the problems
The thing is, of all the insane crap of HF that is actually pretty reasonable.

The fact of the matter as it is, is that as good a player as McDavid is, Edmonton has too many holes.

Sure, it would be ideal to keep McDavid and surround him with talent and create a winning team. Thats the idea. The problem is that Edmonton is very literally No Good.

They are No Good at drafting.
They are No good at developing the players they draft.
They are No Good at trading.
They are No Good at signing Free Agents.

So really, they've got Connor McDavid and whole lot of filler.

They have two #1 draft picks and Draisaitl. After that their top scorer is Alex Chiasson.

Really, the only reason they shouldnt consider trading McDavid to actually make their team good...well, okay, not 'Good' just 'not as bad as it currently is' is that Chiarelli is an idiot who would screw it up.

Trading McDavid is not a terrible idea but you have to really get 'Lindros'd.'

That trade has to re-shape your entire franchise for the next decade at least. Hell, I dont even know if it could be done in the modern NHL.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #3394
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Bettman will also be a big reason why there might not be any more hockey in Calgary if taxpayers refuse to give the owners a free lunch on the arena deal.

Nothing to do with Bettman. Everything to do with a city and hockey team fighting over who has the bigger set of balls.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #3395
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't do that trade if I was Colorado. Yes, McDavid is the better player and has more marketability, but having him destroys cap flexibility. Having three 1st rounders and potentially drafting young players that can help the cap by contributing on entry level contracts, is a big advantage in the cap world.

Plus, Rantanen is elite in his own right.
Fair points but if you can trade for the best player in the league while also retaining the best player on your team (Mackinnon) I think you do it. Rantsnem is going to command $8-10M himself this summer which could be a tough negotiation for a team that wants to pay him similar to Mackinnon.

Colorado could easily make it work cap wise it would be a no brainerfor them imo. McDavid won the scoring title 2 of the 3 years he has been in the league. The risky piece is the Sens first because of that turns into Hughes then a Rantenan, Hughes, 2 1st package is more valuable than McDavid
Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #3396
Movechkin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Huh, for some reason oilers fans on HF are under the impression that they are only on rebuild 3.0. I don't think they are very proficient in the English language. They all seem to be adding an extra period in between the 3 and the 0.

E=NFG
The Following User Says Thank You to Movechkin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #3397
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movechkin View Post
Huh, for some reason oilers fans on HF are under the impression that they are only on rebuild 3.0. I don't think they are very proficient in the English language. They all seem to be adding an extra period in between the 3 and the 0.

E=NFG
The funny part is that even though this is hilarious wishful thinking, even if we let them have it, they'll still have 'rebuilt' 3 times in the last 10 years with 4 #1 draft picks.

3 is probably the lowest number they could get away with. The real number is probably between 5-7 but it doesnt really matter because all the answers make them look hilariously incompetent.

Some of them even think they're rebuilding right now.

I dont know how to explain the concept of: if you have one of the highest payrolls in the league and are right, right up against the cap you arent a rebuilding team, you're a competing team, dont cry about it just because you cant compete.

Yes....I know the Oilers are spending a lot of money to get their asses kicked on a regular basis, but thats just the way it is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #3398
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

We all know the Oilers will never deal McDavid from a position of strength to maximize the return.

That would require logic & competence on the part of management.

They will deal him from a position of weakness once he’s completely disillusioned with the franchise.

Their position will significantly marginalize the return.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #3399
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
We all know the Oilers will never deal McDavid from a position of strength to maximize the return.

That would require logic & competence on the part of management.

They will deal him from a position of weakness once he’s completely disillusioned with the franchise.

Their position will significantly marginalize the return.
You're basically never dealing a franchise player from a position of strength.

And if you're the Oilers you're never in a position of strength. I mean, the player will be leaving Edmonton which is a win for everyone.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #3400
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...nterview-ever/

Leave it to the oilers to do some due diligence in their scouting & drafting techniques
Closed Thread