Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #321
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I'm thinking your best bet is to make something to lower the one speaker by 12". Is their a reason you don't want to mount them on the wall at the same height? That would make your life a heck of a lot easier.
Oh, I want to mount them on the wall. However the left channel is on an outside wall. Makes it tough to run cable down. It's also mostly window, which makes it tough to mount the speaker. For the right channel, the wall ends before seating area starts, so the speaker would be way in front of the viewer (it's kind of a t-shaped room). My two best (if not only) options are ceiling mount, or stand mount. I don't want to be tripping over speaker stands, so ceiling it is. I could go in-ceiling, but the bulkhead again makes things difficult.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #322
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Use some threaded plumbing pipe and make a mount that way u cab make it as long as you want. Then spray paint the pipes black for a nice clean look
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #323
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Made some changes in my basement, built a room, moved my TV etc. I ordered a wall mount and 3 in-wall speakers from Monoprice. Also got the logitech IR extender which you can see dangling under the TV. I will stick it to the TV today.

8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #324
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any comments on the Denon AVR-1712 for an entry level receiver?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...082b586a3een02

After installing some rear in-wall speakers from Monoprice on the weekend at my place, my dad was really impressed and wants an entry level receiver for surround sound himself. The Denon was suggested to me but we're open to other models/brands. In fact, I wouldn't mind some suggestions for 5.1 receivers as that's all he's going to need.

Also my old Yamaha isn't HDMI so I'm very ignorant on HDMI receivers. So if say I want to hook up his TV to the receiver, how do I do that? I'm a little confused because if I'm running an HDMI cable from the HDPVR to the TV for the picture, then how do I connect the sound as well? There's only one HDMI cable involved, but somehow I need to run the output to two different devices?

Last edited by Old Yeller; 10-17-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #325
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Any comments on the Denon AVR-1712 for an entry level receiver?
I have the 2310, and love it. Can't speak for this model from anything on-hand, but specs look similar. The 2310 had pretty high praise, that it doesn't look like this one is getting as much of, not sure for the reason on that.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #326
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You connect the HDPVR with HDMI to the reciever. You connect the receiver to the TV with another HDMI cable. You have 5 more inputs to connect your blu ray player or any other components you may have. Your receiver will take the audio from the components and no other cables are needed.

Last edited by Vulcan; 10-17-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #327
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

After doing some digging I didn't realize that the receiver has an HDMI out as well to the TV, so that makes a lot more sense now.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #328
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone with advice on what to look for/buy in terms of a LCD wall mount for a 40 inch Sharp?

I'm looking for tilt and a good degree of rotation for an above gas fire place mounting position.

I see Monoprice has a huge list and I've gone through a couple, but I can't really tell if there are many, if any differences. Is it all really comparable?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10828
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #329
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have experience with electronicsforless.ca? Some of their prices are unreal, but I'm wary of it being too good to be true.

Also, is anybody using power conditioners? Or just surge protection on their gear?

TIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I see Monoprice has a huge list and I've gone through a couple, but I can't really tell if there are many, if any differences. Is it all really comparable?
Difference in mounts is usually construction quality. I've used cheaper ones that don't lock exactly where you tilt them, or tilt slightly when they're supposed to be completely vertical. Some allow for the wiring to be changed easier than others, but if you're going to set it and forget it, it's not much of an issue.

The big thing to watch out for is the spacing of screw slots to mount it to the wall. Make sure what you get will match up with your studs.

Make sure that the mount is rated for your size of tv and weight.

I can't comment on the monoprice ones as I've never used them.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #330
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I bought my receiver and blu-ray player through electronicsforless.ca. I think Photon has bought through them as well. They were great...I don't think you have to worry at all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #331
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup I got my Onkyo receiver I think through them. Either that or my sub. Or both. I can't remember for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #332
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've also purchased through electronicsforless.ca. Great prices, surprisingly quick shipping, and shockingly awesome customer service. I highly recommend them.

They have a handy lowest price guarantee, which I leveraged when purchasing a juicer/blender (the awesome Breville BJB840XL) for under $400 CDN after S&H and tax! To confirm my price challenge, a CS representative phoned me to verify my claim, and that I'd receive a 5% discount off the lowest advertised price in Canada. We had a nice conversation, he double-checked my shipping info, and assured me it would arrive within 4 business days. It arrived in 2.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #333
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monoprice mounts are good. The problem is the shipping costs twice the price of the mount. Everything I've ever bought from Monoprice has been good quality (mounts, cables, banana plugs, plates, switches).
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #334
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Monoprice mounts are good. The problem is the shipping costs twice the price of the mount.
Figured this was relavent here too. As posted in another thread, a few viable options to save on shipping costs:

http://www.packageexpress.com/
http://www.montanashipping.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #335
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Figured this was relavent here too. As posted in another thread, a few viable options to save on shipping costs:

http://www.packageexpress.com/
http://www.montanashipping.com/

Sighhh... I wish I knew of these options before now. I could've saved over $200 on speakers heading my way as we speak, and gladly would've ran down to Sweetgrass to grab them.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #336
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

guys, hoping for some feedback. i have a 10+ year old sony HTIB that has served me well over the years. now that i am now financially stable i am looking to upgrade. i have yet to buy any new components, but what are your guys feelings on these for the price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290206

(Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker - price 99.00 w/free shipping)
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #337
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
i have yet to buy any new components, but what are your guys feelings on these for the price?
AVS threads seem to be positive on those speakers (at the sale price of $139).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179592

What are you planning on for the rest of the system? Using the surrounds and center from the HTIB? Or getting the rest of the speakers down the road?
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #338
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
AVS threads seem to be positive on those speakers (at the sale price of $139).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179592

What are you planning on for the rest of the system? Using the surrounds and center from the HTIB? Or getting the rest of the speakers down the road?
yeah, i would be looking to upgrade everything eventually. if i did make this purchase, i would probably go with polk for all my speakers and then get a good receiver (which i will probably need guidance on)

my goal is to have a quality system but obviously not top end. something i can be watching a blu ray and really feel immersed. i was also wanting the ability to just do a 2.1 setup for music and such. would these would be versatile enough for that?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #339
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dad just ended up grabbing a Denon AVR-1312 from Best Buy for $219. Pretty decent deal (and it saves me buying him a new receiver for Christmas). Interesting they advertise the RMS power and not the peak wattage like most companies do.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #340
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey, anyone have any suggestions for where to get reasonably priced and decent component stands? So far Costco seems the best.

And any thoughts on the Denon 2112 Receiver? On sale for $500 bucks from $670 today, and I know the 1912 is well reviewed.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote