Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2024, 04:41 PM   #321
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Interesting that women’s sports isn’t already over then, given that trans women competing in women’s sports and women who are genetically predisposed to much higher levels of testosterone (and the accompanying muscle mass potential) competing in women’s sports isn’t new.

It’s going to be especially difficult when you force trans men to compete in women’s sports and they also dominate, as has already happened.
Sorry as I'm joining late, we are talking about elite level sport, correct?
Or are we just talking about beer league local participation?
If we are talking elite level the I stand by my earlier comments and I can't think of any trans athletes competing at an elite world class level in any sport.
I can only speak on cycling as that is what I follow but after a Canadian trans female won a world championship and two American trans females podiumed at an elite level race in the states cycling immediately moved to change rules.
If we are talking rec sports I have no issue but at some point rec sports becomes elite level and at that point trans women will have to stay in rec or go to mens/open.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:11 AM   #322
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Town of Westlock narrowly votes to pass their bylaw to erase the single rainbow crosswalk in town. Of course it’s couched as a neutrality bylaw, crosswalks must be painted with white lines and the only flags allowed to be flown at municipal buildings are federal, provincial, and municipal.

The bylaw is not neutral, it is clearly anti lgbtq+. I just can’t even fathom how you can get this worked up about a crosswalk, which was proposed by kids in the town. Nice message to send to a marginalized community in rural Alberta. I imagine kids who are still closeted feel quite supported today. Watch for this to spread.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 06:47 AM   #323
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Presumably they'll also be converting the town Catholic school to a neutral public one, too? Wouldn't want to be seen as giving any one group something different.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:13 AM   #324
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2499332.html

Incredibly sad to have to share this story.
When someone posted it on social media, I was hoping it was fake news.
Like what do these families that support these outdated and bigoted views do at home?

The best and biggest bathroom for the boys and the other bathroom for the girls?

No, they all use the same bathroom because it's just a toilet and when you gotta go, you gotta go.

And now we have lost another LGBTQ+ youth who only wanted to exist as their true self. RIP Nex.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:37 AM   #325
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Presumably they'll also be converting the town Catholic school to a neutral public one, too? Wouldn't want to be seen as giving any one group something different.
And in case there’s in any doubt about the background of this so called neutrality bylaw a quick research gets you to it. The organizer of the group ne westlock was most recently featured in a podcast called Talk Truth. The host is none other than Allan Hunsperger, the Wildrose candidate and church minister infamous for his lake of fire comments.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:43 AM   #326
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet somehow, people think rural Albertans would ever consider voting for a party other than one controlled by the far right bigots. And it's not a few bad apples, it's clearly over half of voters. We have a looooooong way to go, and we are moving backwards because we elect governments that support this bigotry. Please. ####ing stop it.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:31 AM   #327
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
The Town of Westlock narrowly votes to pass their bylaw to erase the single rainbow crosswalk in town. Of course it’s couched as a neutrality bylaw, crosswalks must be painted with white lines and the only flags allowed to be flown at municipal buildings are federal, provincial, and municipal.

The bylaw is not neutral, it is clearly anti lgbtq+. I just can’t even fathom how you can get this worked up about a crosswalk, which was proposed by kids in the town. Nice message to send to a marginalized community in rural Alberta. I imagine kids who are still closeted feel quite supported today. Watch for this to spread.
I'll be the first to admit I hate the rainbow crosswalks where I live.

But not because I'm anti-LBTQ2S+

I've seen how they paint them in Vancouver and Toronto.

is far superior to

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:32 AM   #328
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

is far superior to

Very “graphic design is my passion”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 AM   #329
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

What are the chances people get offended in Westlock if a private business chooses to fly a flag? My guess is Town Council will hear about how there should be no publicly visible support for social groups. "#### Trudeau" stickers are exempt.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:37 AM   #330
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
What are the chances people get offended in Westlock if a private business chooses to fly a flag? My guess is Town Council will hear about how there should be no publicly visible support for social groups. "#### Trudeau" stickers are exempt.
I sometimes wonder what cruise ship passengers from rural US think when they get off the ship in Canada to explore the local area to find pride flags, and trans flags and notices on shop doors and window saying everyone is welcome.

Must be a culture shock for sure.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:38 AM   #331
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

is far superior to

"We support alternative lifestyles...but we have a very limited amount of paint."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:42 AM   #332
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I sometimes wonder what cruise ship passengers from rural US think when they get off the ship in Canada to explore the local area to find pride flags, and trans flags and notices on shop doors and window saying everyone is welcome.

I'd like to think that's what they see when they arrive, but in today's climate and backwards sliding stance towards LGBTQ2S+ communities, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes muted out of fear of reprisal or violence. Also doesn't help the next future PM is making statements that validate said regression.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 09:18 AM   #333
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'd like to think that's what they see when they arrive, but in today's climate and backwards sliding stance towards LGBTQ2S+ communities, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes muted out of fear of reprisal or violence. Also doesn't help the next future PM is making statements that validate said regression.
This may be a location specific thing. Scout is from Cape Breton and that is different then here. I went there in 2022 and I even commented on here that it was like a different planet. There were lots of pride flags in windows, both public and private buildings. There were much fewer F Trudeau items as well. It was like the opposite of here. Halifax they were all over the place, even a very large flag on the ferries.
We are going back this summer as well and will see if things have changed.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:44 AM   #334
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if the Westlock Neutrality people will next demand that the town not put up any Christmas decorations. It’s not about Christianiaty it’s just that people should feel comfortable and not have to see something they don’t believe in or isn’t part of their lifestyle(a quote from them on the crosswalk).

Something tells me that isn’t really an issue for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 08:15 AM   #335
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
This may be a location specific thing. Scout is from Cape Breton and that is different then here. I went there in 2022 and I even commented on here that it was like a different planet. There were lots of pride flags in windows, both public and private buildings. There were much fewer F Trudeau items as well. It was like the opposite of here. Halifax they were all over the place, even a very large flag on the ferries.
We are going back this summer as well and will see if things have changed.
Yeah, I could have been clearer, and in fairness I didn't take into consideration how many cruise ships pass through Calgary harbour :P

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a pub that doesn't have a pride flag sticker on it. My local watering home has a huge flag next to the door.

I'm sure there's some cultural differences between here and Alberta.

We, on the whole, don't give a flying f*** if you're gay.

You want to develop downtown, and house the homeless? Now that'll divide us and have people ready to throw hands.

... we're an odd bunch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 08:21 AM   #336
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
To me a separate category just feels like a separate water fountain or seating area at a diner.

What makes the difference between the people at varying levels in their sports? Seems like it's the sum of genetics and training. There's always been people who can achieve more because of their genes. There's always been people who can achieve more because of their access to training (can do it full time, better coaches, better facilities, whatever). Isn't a trans woman just coming to their supposed advantage via a different route than what we're used to?

Was there ever a time when there was a desire to have different categories based on race because people of one race had an advantage?
So...to expand on this.

When I was young, I was a competitive downhill skier and competed in Luge.

So you rub shoulders with other winter sports guys, and I wondered why Bobsled was segregated.

"Because women dont weigh enough."

I mean, we're talking about razor-thin margins here. Tenths of seconds.

There were some pretty misogynistic comments made, which I wont repeat (but were funny as long as they're not directed at anyone specific) but...if thats the nature of the game, then thats what it is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:54 AM   #337
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://bsky.app/profile/pairofclaws.../3km6aopzoq42m

This is what our politicians are doing to kids. This is what voting for morally repugnant people gets. Now tell me again how you are doing this for them. ####ing monsters.

Sorry kid, the world is ####ing awful. Sorry.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:01 AM   #338
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

https://bsky.app/profile/pairofclaws.../3km6aopzoq42m

This is what our politicians are doing to kids. This is what voting for morally repugnant people gets. Now tell me again how you are doing this for them. ####ing monsters.

Sorry kid, the world is ####ing awful. Sorry.
The Pro-Life "Won't Somebody Think of the Children" Party

Old 02-24-2024, 03:14 PM   #339
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are no cruise ship passengers from rural USA. Most have never left the county they were born in.
I expect it would be more correct to say that rural Albertans visiting USA might be shocked by the broad support for the community in most of America, except for those ####ty backwoods places.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:58 PM   #340
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
There are no cruise ship passengers from rural USA. Most have never left the county they were born in.
I expect it would be more correct to say that rural Albertans visiting USA might be shocked by the broad support for the community in most of America, except for those ####ty backwoods places.
Ahhh yes, those folks from Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi I chat with are obviously lying and from New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. Silly me, my bad.