Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #321
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
There are no greater or lesser fans. End of the day, people are all just fans. The ideology of a good vs bandwagon vs a bad fan doesn’t matter. Cheer for whoever the hell you like. Makes no difference to me, nor do I care about anyone elses reason as to why they chose a team.

As far as the local aspect, it’s not always that way. I have been a Flames fan since I was a kid but if they were to moved to another city, I’d continue to be a Flames follower regardless. Even if a new NHL franchise came to Calgary I wouldn’t cheer for them.

I may be in the minority but I don’t follow any other local team in the city. I have other teams I cheer for in other sports (CFL, WHL, CIS) which are not Calgary based(Hitmen, Stamps, Dinos etc).
How long do you think that would last? There are a few Titans fans in Houston but most are Texans fans. Are there many Dallas Stars fans in Minnesota?

For me, at least, it's the Calgary part buy maybe that's because I've moved around a bit. I was always a bit of a Nordiques fan but hate the Avs. Maybe because I moved there when they won that first Cup and I probably resented how easy their fans had it.

But as for judging fans, boy do I hate that. Just like those who look down on fans who get emotional or negative about their team when they lose.

Your team can do no wrong? Your team can do no right? I kind of understand all of it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #322
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If you don't think signing Gaudreau to a big money long term contract makes sense, I understand. I hope we don't make a bigger mistake with Taylor Hall.
Totally agree.

Quote:
You're worried about Gaudreau leaving for nothing? Me too. But I see a bigger risk with Tkachuk and the club has a much more rapidly declining asset in Giordano.
I'm worried about Gaudreau leaving for nothing or being traded for poor return because they wait too long.

Quote:
You like the haul Gaudreau would bring? OK, let's hear it. What will the team look like post Gaudreau with the players acquired?
I don't know what he would bring, so that's an unfair question. I would be targeting a deal that expands the contending window.

Quote:
When I see countless posts calling for Gaudreau's trade, often citing his diet, and starting from when he was signed, I'm left thinking the poster is rather focused on the player being a source of the team's issues. You may well be right, but I don't think as someone who observes your take on Gaudreau this way I'm not trying to "misrepresent" your views or "bring the discussion down". That's a little harsh IMO.
This post:
"I feel like you're kind of ignoring the coaching and organizational issues and trying to scapegoat things on one player, Iginla and now Gaudreau."

Ignores what I've been trying to say and conflates different issues.
Do I think Johnny is part of the current team issues? Yes.
Is that the main reason I think they should trade him? No. It is to maximize the asset.
Do I think there are other issues, both in terms of players and coaching? Yes.

Again, the main reason I think they should trade Johnny is because it is the best outcome of the 3 scenarios I've put forth. I do not blame him for all the current team woes, but I'm also not convinced he's part of the solution.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #323
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How long do you think that would last? There are a few Titans fans in Houston but most are Texans fans. Are there many Dallas Stars fans in Minnesota?

For me, at least, it's the Calgary part buy maybe that's because I've moved around a bit. I was always a bit of a Nordiques fan but hate the Avs. Maybe because I moved there when they won that first Cup and I probably resented how easy their fans had it.

But as for judging fans, boy do I hate that. Just like those who look down on fans who get emotional or negative about their team when they lose.

Your team can do no wrong? Your team can do no right? I kind of understand all of it.
I cant say for sure how long it would last, as everyone is different. For me, it would definitely last, though keep in mind, as I have said before I am not one for civic pride. Hence, dont cheer for a team/individual in sports just cause they are local. The local Calgary kid/club means very little to me.

Anyways, I am sure that any person who lives in Calgary and happens to cheer for the Knights or any other team, probably doesnt care what anyone thinks, nor should they. Just as those who are passionate about the Flames shouldnt be concerned about what people think about their extremism either. Any thoughts about what makes a good or bad fan are opinions, which everyone will have, definitely not facts for such a subjective topic.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #324
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I've been focused on him because I think the decision needs to be made this summer, to maximize value and before he becomes harder to trade.
But I would take a look at the entire roster. Perhaps Monny needs to go too.
I almost think Monny before Gudreau. Monny is the second coming of Daymond Langkow and there's way too many monotone players with no grit or second gear, or hating to lose, call it what you want, on this team. Monny is definitely in that camp. I feel like Johnny can work with others more easily than Monny.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #325
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
I almost think Monny before Gudreau. Monny is the second coming of Daymond Langkow and there's way too many monotone players with no grit or second gear, or hating to lose, call it what you want, on this team. Monny is definitely in that camp. I feel like Johnny can work with others more easily than Monny.
Earlier in the year I felt like he was trying to evolve his game, but over the last 10 games or so his performance has been particularly poor.

So I don't disagree. I would explore what you can get for both.
But that just means you have to get at least one top line centre back somehow - that could be hard.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #326
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Earlier in the year I felt like he was trying to evolve his game, but over the last 10 games or so his performance has been particularly poor.

But that just means you have to get at least one top line centre back somehow - that could be hard.
His last 10 are 5 g 3 a +5
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #327
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Once you're honed in on the problem he's gotta go or bust man.

The response will be that they didn't trade the player sooner, instead of doing better with the rest of the roster. Some will say the team needs consistency with management but it just repeats the mediocre loop.

Build a better team. It would be far easier with someone who earns the Lucic salary at a far higher scoring clip (like Gaudreau)
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #328
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yep guy is doing what he is paid to do the last few games. Probably helps that #13 is playing well.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #329
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Totally agree.

I'm worried about Gaudreau leaving for nothing or being traded for poor return because they wait too long.

I don't know what he would bring, so that's an unfair question. I would be targeting a deal that expands the contending window.

This post:
"I feel like you're kind of ignoring the coaching and organizational issues and trying to scapegoat things on one player, Iginla and now Gaudreau."

Ignores what I've been trying to say and conflates different issues.
Do I think Johnny is part of the current team issues? Yes.
Is that the main reason I think they should trade him? No. It is to maximize the asset.
Do I think there are other issues, both in terms of players and coaching? Yes.

Again, the main reason I think they should trade Johnny is because it is the best outcome of the 3 scenarios I've put forth. I do not blame him for all the current team woes, but I'm also not convinced he's part of the solution.
Fair enough Jiri. Now if we are going to propose trading those players who aren’t everything we wish they would be, I’m up for trading a whole bunch of people even Tkachuk. Because while I like Tkachuk, I’m worried he’s neither skilled enough, nor consistent enough, to warrant the contract he is going to try and extract from this team if he is interested in staying. But at least his game should translate to the playoffs.

I just think if you have 500 posts about trading Gaudreau and none about anyone else and a few that are ok with looking for a new coach but for the most part preaching continuity within the organization, it’s hard not to think you’re pretty zeroed in on one guy and one solution. And with your focus on maximizing assets and using the Iginla example, I’m surprised you’re not more focused on Giordano.

I’ve said it too much already but it’s not about who the Flames trade away, it’s about what they bring in. And it’s pretty disappointing that the last two years the GM has allowed the club to stagnate when it needed to be pushing forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #330
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Flames are their own worst enemies:
- Come out totally flat for a big game? Check.
- Allow a reasonably early goal and get behind? Check.
- Do the above again? Check.
- Coach fails to settle down the team? Check.
- From behind, play like hell to catch up? Check.
- Tie the game in the late going? Check.
- Instantly lose focus and give up a goal? Check.
- Coach forgets there's such a thing as a time out? Check.
- Come out with nothing? Check.

Seems like this story has been written more than once this season, but they're still gonna "learn from it and move on"....reeally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This exact scenario has happened once or twice.

In Nashville they had the lead, and actually had it a few times over the game. They lost in overtime and collected a point.

Usually when they come back all the way they win.

But let's use our goldfish memory and pretend like last nights game is a regular occurence.

Slow starts have been, but not that whole sequence of events.

The parade of not well thought out posts just continues to roll in.
When Flames have been scored on first, their record is 16-20-4. Hardly stellar.
When trailing after 1, they're 8-15-4.
When trailing after 2, they're 8-26-2.

That's more than a couple of games...perhaps not with the exact scenario, but close enough to show a bad trend. Giving up the first goal, or two, sticks them in a hole they are hard-pressed to come out of. Records are very similar in that scenario, home and away.

If they're not ready to play at puck drop, they're likely going to lose.

I can't find stats (maybe someone else can) on tying and then losing, but my memory tells me there's more than "a couple" of games where that happened. Maybe I'm wrong though.

But the failure of the coach to calm the team down (or even try to) when rattled is pretty obvious to me.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #331
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

No games until Thursday...this thread is gonna be painful
Old 03-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #332
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames had won this thread would have died by now. People talk more when they lose.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #333
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
When Flames have been scored on first, their record is 16-20-4. Hardly stellar.

When trailing after 1, they're 8-15-4.

When trailing after 2, they're 8-26-2.
The Flames are the second best team in the League when trailing. I would say that is the very definition of "stellar."

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #334
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize that this was the 5th game in a row in which the Flames scored 3 goals.

Their consistent in that sense I guess.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #335
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I didn't realize that this was the 5th game in a row in which the Flames scored 3 goals.

Their consistent in that sense I guess.
The Flames are the second-highest scoring team since the ASG. They are behind only Philadelphia with 3.7 G/GP.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #336
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This one still stings today
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #337
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
This one still stings today
It will still sting tomorrow.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #338
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A deal around both of them for Eichel.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #339
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cool, go wallow in your pain and complain some more.

Can't win them all.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #340
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Cool, go wallow in your pain and complain some more.

Can't win them all.
Sure, but you cant piss away points like that and expect to be a playoff team
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote