Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #321
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel if there is a big trade it will be with Buffalo just due to the sheer amount of scouting the Flames have done.

Flames targets likely include- Kane, O’Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo

Buffalo likely wants one of our D prospects. I doubt the Flames entertain moving Valimaki, or Andersson but Fox and Kylington could be in play.

I don’t think the Flames would be willling to spend the assets on Kane without an extension in place but sometimes he feels like the guy that plays the style they want and he scores goals.

RoR makes sense if the team is looking to move on from Backlund due to co tract demands but I have a feeling the Flames and Backs get a deal done.

Reinhart is someone I could see the Flames targeting if Buffalo is looking to move on.

Okposo is a contract risk and has had injuries so I hope the Flames steer clear.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #322
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
For real? Where is that "If only we had a solid goaltening ever since Kipper left". Now there is a glimpse of a real steal, noname guy from Europe came for no cost and took the backup job with reliable perfomances, so lets trade him straight away, so we can cry the next decade for a quality goaltender, as we are used to.
I think my original post is being misunderstood here. If Ottawa is willing to overpay for him, I hope it's listened to.

I don't want to shop Rittich, and I would be upset at a ho-hum trade. But if a desperate team can be pillaged here, I think it's worth the thought.

I'm thinking Forsberg to Nashville trade - where a desperate move clearly benefited the team with something to give. With Gillies and Parsons, this is a gamble we could still come out with great goaltending from.

Of course, Rittich as part of our goalie options going forward is my preference. I really like Rittich, and am excited that were in a great position going fkrward. I am only saying that potential for overpayment is here - and Ottawa is the team I could see doing it.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #323
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I feel if there is a big trade it will be with Buffalo just due to the sheer amount of scouting the Flames have done.

Flames targets likely include- Kane, O’Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo

Buffalo likely wants one of our D prospects. I doubt the Flames entertain moving Valimaki, or Andersson but Fox and Kylington could be in play.

I don’t think the Flames would be willling to spend the assets on Kane without an extension in place but sometimes he feels like the guy that plays the style they want and he scores goals.

RoR makes sense if the team is looking to move on from Backlund due to co tract demands but I have a feeling the Flames and Backs get a deal done.

Reinhart is someone I could see the Flames targeting if Buffalo is looking to move on.

Okposo is a contract risk and has had injuries so I hope the Flames steer clear.
Would someone like Fox be a piece Buffalo would be interested in enough to want to see a package that would involve eating some of Okposos salary?

With how Okposo and Tavares played, I would love to see what he does with Gaudreau.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #324
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn’t seem that likely Rittich is getting a ton of trade attention is it? Then again, Berra fetched a 2nd.

I suppose he or Gillies could be pieces of a bigger trade. If either coupled with someone like Brodie helps land an elite player, I’d be interested.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #325
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a feeling they will ride oit the season for better or worse. Maybe another call up or 2, but thats it.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #326
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Have they scouted buffalo more than other teams though? Or has it just been reported more because Buffalo is awful? This is an honest question, is there a stat for this somewhere?

ROR makes the LEAST sense to move on from Backlund. $7.5mil through 22-23. That's more than the most exaggerated guesses on this board, and I think Backlund settles in for the same term and $2-3mil less than ROR.

Even on the same contract I'd take Backlund on this team, with its current C depth, over ROR.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #327
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno about that, I like Backlund bought ROR is 2 years younger and brings more offense to the table, which is what our forward group lacks right now, and he's no slouch defensively either.

On the same contract I take ROR, but they can't be had on the same contract so I guess that's a pointless discussion.

I've said it before though, if they snag ROR my opinion is that they also try to re-sign Backlund and keep both if possible. ROR has played lots of wing as well, and would give that added depth.

Kind of in the same way that Tre traded for Hamonic and then was still able to re-sign Stone when nobody really thought that was the plan. Basically here is a fair deal, go see what's out there and if you want the little bit of extra money over taking a slight haircut to stay here then go ahead that's fine, but the deal will still be here after you shop around. If you decide to move on that's OK too we will just slide ROR into your spot as #2 center then.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #328
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Have they scouted buffalo more than other teams though? Or has it just been reported more because Buffalo is awful? This is an honest question, is there a stat for this somewhere?

ROR makes the LEAST sense to move on from Backlund. $7.5mil through 22-23. That's more than the most exaggerated guesses on this board, and I think Backlund settles in for the same term and $2-3mil less than ROR.

Even on the same contract I'd take Backlund on this team, with its current C depth, over ROR.
RoR is a couple years younger and has 5 seasons of 50+ points to Backlunds 1. They are scoring at a similar rate this year but agree RoR has a pretty tough cap hit to swallow.

If Backs wants $6M at 6-8 years I could see the team moving on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #329
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q: How many left shot forwards does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Who cares? We're the Flames, we need more because an essentially entire top nine of them isn't enough.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #330
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dougie Hamilton+ for Karlsson (after he agrees to extend with us)
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #331
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there is a deal with Buffalo you could see it coming after the outdoor game today. Give Flames time to integrate a new piece.

However since Buffalo is out of the playoff race, they have no motivation to make a deal now unless there is a bidding war. That makes me nervous as Treliving has shown a willingness to overpay for what he wants. My guess is there is no major deal imminent.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #332
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I'm getting the feeling that Karlsson is nosediving at the same time his contract is up. Dangerous situation. He'll rebound, because there's no way he's THIS bad, but he's going to get paid for past performance, not the future.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #333
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Karlsson is obviously the better player, but I'd rather have Dougie at his current salary than Karlsson at his inevitable $12M+ that he's about to get
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #334
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m beginning to think we’re missing something on the Backlund front. No extension talks, no news on that front. It feels an awful lot like how Glencross was handled. He hadn’t heard anything from the team, and then he was traded.

Not saying I want it to happen, but I am starting to think it may be something that does happen.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #335
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Re: Buffalo trade talk.

I'd take Okposso at his current contract, over Kane with an extension. And the acquisition cost would likely be lower as well.

ROR > Backlund (IMO) no reason we can't have both though. Acquisition cost won't be spare parts like many are suggesting.

Don't think Reinhart will be sold for peanuts, it's not like he's Sven. Guy is half a year removed from 47 points.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #336
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would only want Okposo if Buffalo took back Brouwer. Assuming the cap went up in future years, Okposo’s contract isn’t entirely bad.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #337
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Q: How many left shot forwards does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Who cares? We're the Flames, we need more because an essentially entire top nine of them isn't enough.
But only an idiot thinks right-shooting defencemen are important, amirite?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #338
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If there is a deal with Buffalo you could see it coming after the outdoor game today. Give Flames time to integrate a new piece.

However since Buffalo is out of the playoff race, they have no motivation to make a deal now unless there is a bidding war. That makes me nervous as Treliving has shown a willingness to overpay for what he wants. My guess is there is no major deal imminent.
What is the basis for that statement?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #339
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
What is the basis for that statement?
Probably referencing Hamonic and maybe Lazar?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #340
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably referencing Hamonic and maybe Lazar?
That's insanity. Hamonic was market rate. We got hamonic for a second round draft pick. Overpay. Jesus some people overrate draft picks like no ones business.

I think Lazar is a dud but was definitely worth a gamble for a second round pick. Look at the depth the team has on the farm. Just total nonsense.