Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #321
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. The Charlie Rose revelation is the first one to really hit me (in terms of affecting my media consumption). I PVR his show on PBS and watch virtually every one in its entirety. It's been the way I stay most informed. Now to hear the details of his serial harassment of a score of women. . . . I'm not sure I could watch him again, even if PBS doesn't drop his show.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #322
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am watching all of these guys get accused of sexual harassment and I just cringe every time.

I am a woman.

I worked for a company and we had an all male office except for me and one older lady who'd worked there for 20 plus years. During the time I was there, I was groped, grabbed, repeatedly verbally abused with disgusting language- and I was so afraid to say something because I wanted to appear tough- like they weren't getting to me. The thing that pushed me over the edge was a business trip in Chicago where my boss took off his pants in a bus from the airport to the hotel and asked me to 'come back and have a good time with him' while others jeered and cheered.

I lost it. I cried. I went to the hotel that night and felt shamed. One of the guys on the bus approached me later and asked me if I was ok, and suggested I tell HR about the incident- and I decided I would. When we got home from the trip, I called HR. They told me to stay at home while they did a thorough investigation. The men told HR that my skirts were too short, that I was a flirt, that I was a tramp, and nothing was ever done to me that was inappropriate. They said my boss was just 'changing his pants' in the bus. HR told me their 'findings' and told me to go back to work, and nothing would be done. I quit. They won.

Hopefully the women and men who are speaking out now are 1) being honest and 2) not scarred and emotionally hurt from these incidents.

I know how they feel. And, it totally sucks.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
AC, afc wimbledon, anyonebutedmonton, bigtmac19, Boo Radley, calf, Calgary Highlander, calgarybornnraised, Calgaryflamesgirl34, calgarywinning, cal_guy, Cheese, ClubFlames, Coach, Coys1882, D as in David, devel, DownInFlames, Fire, firebug, flamesrule_kipper34, Flamezzz, foshizzle11, Fuzz, gallione11, GirlySports, habernac, handgroen, Hyde, InglewoodFan, J pold, jayswin, Jiri Hrdina, killer_carlson, KootenayFlamesFan, KTrain, MarchHare, Mass_nerder, Mazrim, metallicat, Minnie, MrCallahan, Nage Waza, nfotiu, Nyah, Party Elephant, PepsiFree, photon, psyang, PsYcNeT, puckedoff, Puppet Guy, Rathji, Reaper, Red Ice Player, Red Slinger, redflamesfan08, redforever, ricosuave, Rubicant, Russic, SportsJunky, Swift, Titan, TopChed, troutman, undercoverbrother, verda13, wittynickname, woob, Wormius, Yamer, Zevo
Old 11-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #323
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What I don't get is, people like Louis CK get 3 or 4 accusers, Al Franken gets 2, etc. and they get ostracized, etc. (as they should, mind you).

Meanwhile, whatever happened to the 16 people who accused Donald Trump? How does he just skirt by?? Heck, he got elected PRESIDENT after the accusations.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #324
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
What I don't get is, people like Louis CK get 3 or 4 accusers, Al Franken gets 2, etc. and they get ostracized, etc. (as they should, mind you).

Meanwhile, whatever happened to the 16 people who accused Donald Trump? How does he just skirt by?? Heck, he got elected PRESIDENT after the accusations.
They got ostracized but really nothing has happened top them yet. There have been no charges, just accusations. Louis CK will come back. He's a comedian, they are always on the edge. He can be disgusting AND hilarious. Weinstein and Spacey could be back sooner then later.

Frankin is the most interesting one because he is a politician. He is being ostracized but also defended by many people. Again, no charges just allegations.

When you look at the entire scope, Trump is the same. No charges, all allegations.

This is what makes it incredibly tough for women. It takes so much to get a charge and they totally get slut-shammed in the process.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #325
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
I am watching all of these guys get accused of sexual harassment and I just cringe every time.

I am a woman.

I worked for a company and we had an all male office except for me and one older lady who'd worked there for 20 plus years. During the time I was there, I was groped, grabbed, repeatedly verbally abused with disgusting language- and I was so afraid to say something because I wanted to appear tough- like they weren't getting to me. The thing that pushed me over the edge was a business trip in Chicago where my boss took off his pants in a bus from the airport to the hotel and asked me to 'come back and have a good time with him' while others jeered and cheered.

I lost it. I cried. I went to the hotel that night and felt shamed. One of the guys on the bus approached me later and asked me if I was ok, and suggested I tell HR about the incident- and I decided I would. When we got home from the trip, I called HR. They told me to stay at home while they did a thorough investigation. The men told HR that my skirts were too short, that I was a flirt, that I was a tramp, and nothing was ever done to me that was inappropriate. They said my boss was just 'changing his pants' in the bus. HR told me their 'findings' and told me to go back to work, and nothing would be done. I quit. They won.

Hopefully the women and men who are speaking out now are 1) being honest and 2) not scarred and emotionally hurt from these incidents.

This isn't an easy post to read, sorry you had to deal with that, it is inexcusable.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #326
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I am a woman.

I'm sorry to hear that, but you did the right things and the best that you could do.

I wonder if these peoples wives know that their husband is a complete dirtbag.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #327
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post

Huckabee-Sanders would say Louis CK and Franken admitted and apologized for the behavior, and that Trump has strongly denied all accusations.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #328
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Huckabee-Sanders would say Louis CK and Franken admitted and apologized for the behavior, and that Trump has strongly denied all accusations.
Franken was also on camera. I was listening to the news the other day, and they were praising Franken for taking responsibility for his actions. What choice did he have? And he didn't come out and apologize until after the photos surfaced. Once again I think that Louis CK's behaviour was so specific and came from so many sources, that there was no way for him to deny it. And, once again, he didn't apologize until being confronted with irrefutable evidence in the media. Both are essentially begging for forgiveness after waiting until there was no way out.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #329
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I am a woman.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, it sounds completely crazy. Honestly it sounds so ridiculous it should only appear on tv or in movies.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #330
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Charlie Rose gets canned by CBS.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #331
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Franken was also on camera. I was listening to the news the other day, and they were praising Franken for taking responsibility for his actions. What choice did he have? And he didn't come out and apologize until after the photos surfaced. Once again I think that Louis CK's behaviour was so specific and came from so many sources, that there was no way for him to deny it. And, once again, he didn't apologize until being confronted with irrefutable evidence in the media. Both are essentially begging for forgiveness after waiting until there was no way out.
Exactly. I don't see any of these scum bags owning up to their mistakes before being exposed. The only reason they are sorry is because they were caught.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #332
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Exactly. I don't see any of these scum bags owning up to their mistakes before being exposed. The only reason they are sorry is because they were caught.
Unless your name is Roy Moore. Still waiting for his apology.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #333
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
Unless your name is Roy Moore. Still waiting for his apology.
Yeah I'm not sure why he is getting a pass. I doubt he gets the vote after all of this.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #334
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a societal issue. I doubt there is an adult hetero male in this world that doesn't have some sort of inappropriate behaviour towards women in the past. I'm not talking assault necessarily but of harassment and disrespect. And have we gone though our memories and made the necessary apologies? I doubt it.

The only thing I can say is the measure of a man is made on how one learns from their stupid behavior and on balance what they have offered society.

I think many of these revelations can be explained based on how society as a whole has taught men. Do I think Franken was likely trying to be funny in the picture? Ya I do. I think it was very much like the stupid pictures and things we do to friends/acquaintances when they pass out. We try to do silly things that in the end are plain stupid, offensive or worse. Do I think that it was an intentional assault? No.

It doesn't make it right. It WAS assault.

The societal factor DOES explain why many wouldn't apologize until outed; they never really realized the issue. It's a poor reason...but it is also a very human one.

I want to make it clear: we do have to stop blowing it off as "the era a person grew up in". It HAS to stop. Which is why the Me Too movement and holding people accountable is so important. As I think I've mentioned it saddens me that basically every woman I am friends with on facebook has posted "Me Too". Sad becasue they are my friends. Sad because I'm part of a society that quite frankly has condoned the behavior even when we pretend we don't.

Franken should have consequences for his actions. No doubt. But I also don't think he has to be necessarily run out of his job unless that is what the consequences need to be. I don't think based on the current info that he is a "sexual predator" even with 100% believing the women felt violated. I don't. I also think that someone owning up to his inappropriate behavior IS important...that is how we learn to be better people. My opinion can change if other things come out of course...that's how I feel right now.

Louis...is a different story IMO. I know people are focusing on his whipping it out and getting himself off. That is of course an issue if there is a power imbalance for more. The other thing that has seemingly been glossed over is he also prevented women from leaving his room. He not only used his power to get "consent" (which of course was not true consent) he then also forced them to be present when consent was clearly not given or was taken away.

Moore is also something else. He is a pedophile and predator.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #335
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Al Franken receives support, and condemnation, from his female peers and former co-workers on Saturday Night Live.

Quote:
Thirty-six women who worked with Al Franken on Saturday Night Live both chastised and expressed solidarity with the former comedian and current Minnesota senator after he was accused of groping radio/TV host, Leeann Tweeden.

The letter featured the signatures of writers and members of the production staff, including longtime producer Marci Klein alongside Jane Curtin and Loraine Newman, the two surviving women from SNL's original Not Ready for Prime Time Players cast. They did not excuse Franken's behavior, calling his actions "stupid and foolish," but nevertheless said they felt "compelled to stand up for" their former co-worker.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...sation-w512294

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #336
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit, now John Lasseter (head of Pixar): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ssteps-1057113

It's not really clear from the statement what his "missteps" were, but I'm sure we'll hear more soon.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #337
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm not sure if it was linked here but the stories about Russell Simmons and Brett Ratner are super ####ing disturbing. Predatory serial rapist kind of stuff.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ns-allegations

Quote:
In the latest piece, a model named Keri Claussen Khalighi claims that in 1991, when she was 17, the duo took her to dinner in New York, then brought her back to Simmons’s apartment to show her a music video they were working on. It was there that Simmons allegedly “began making aggressive sexual advances, yanking off her clothes,” the Times writes.
“I looked over at Brett and said ‘help me’ and I’ll never forget the look on his face,” she said. “In that moment, the realization fell on me that they were in it together.”
Khalighi said that Simmons tried to force her to have sex. She “fought it wildly,” and eventually performed oral sex on him, while Ratner allegedly watched. Khalighi added that she then went to take a shower and Simmons tried to join her minutes later, briefly penetrating her without her consent. She resisted, then he left. “It hurt so much,” she recalled.

Also, everyone's favorite "feminist" Lena Dunham was the subject of a lot of internet wrath when she called an alleged sexual assault victim a liar. Of course the accused was a friend of Dunham. The same Lena Dunham that previously claimed that women don't lie about rape...I guess unless it is about Lena's friends, then it's cool to shame that woman and call her a liar.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #338
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Also, everyone's favorite "feminist" Lena Dunham was the subject of a lot of internet wrath when she called an alleged sexual assault victim a liar. Of course the accused was a friend of Dunham. The same Lena Dunham that previously claimed that women don't lie about rape...I guess unless it is about Lena's friends, then it's cool to shame that woman and call her a liar.
Well of course she defended him. Much the same way she defends her own sexual assault on her younger sister. Dunham is skeevy. Why anyone gives that woman the time of day, I will never understand.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #339
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Dammit, now John Lasseter (head of Pixar): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ssteps-1057113

It's not really clear from the statement what his "missteps" were, but I'm sure we'll hear more soon.
Details: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...siders-1059594
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #340
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Although Trump was also caught on tape talking about sexually assaulting women. That didn't do anything, either!
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote