Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #321
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
The solution to gun violence is,,,more guns
The solution to gun violence is a solution that will never happen.

However man has been killing his neighbours long before guns came into being. There were probably mass murders and rage killings in the days of swords, slingshots, arrows and clubs.

Humanity has a thrill kill gene that not many other creatures that we share the planet with have.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #322
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

However man has been killing his neighbours long before guns came into being. There were probably mass murders and rage killings in the days of swords, slingshots, arrows and clubs.

Humanity has a thrill kill gene that not many other creatures that we share the planet with have.
sure, but we also have the ability to evolve and progess our societal well being, such as heated homes and vehicles and health care, and I would think killing each other is the opposite of that. I would have to say the more advanced a country is, the less accepted killing each other is, aside from one country, that comes to mind.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #323
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The persentage of "thrill kills" is probably extremely low especially when it comes to gun related deaths, take away guns and deaths would go way down...this can't be argued
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #324
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
The persentage of "thrill kills" is probably extremely low especially when it comes to gun related deaths, take away guns and deaths would go way down...this can't be argued
In a world without guns we'd find another way. Man's predatory instincts are far beyond any other species on this planet.

We're a species who has based a large chunk of science on better ways to kill people.

I don't buy the argument that taking away the gun will reduce deaths. It will merely redirect the way that we kill.

Murders would still happen, people going nuts and killing in numbers would still happen.

The human being is a killer covered in a velvet glove.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #325
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man has an urge to kill people? Thats why we have guns? Really?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #326
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In a world without guns we'd find another way. Man's predatory instincts are far beyond any other species on this planet.

We're a species who has based a large chunk of science on better ways to kill people.

I don't buy the argument that taking away the gun will reduce deaths. It will merely redirect the way that we kill.

Murders would still happen, people going nuts and killing in numbers would still happen.

You can't really argue that it's a lot easier to kill a lot of people with a pistol you can hide in a jacket pocket than it is with a stabbing spree. It's not even close.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #327
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would assume we`re the only species on Earth that kills for other reasons that finding food and self-defense.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #328
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I would assume we`re the only species on Earth that kills for other reasons that finding food and self-defense.
Other animals will kill to show force and protect their territory...Lions for instance.

Quote:

B.S ..Most gun deaths are not the result of a planned murder, accidental deaths alone is a good enough reason to ban handguns in America.

Humans aren't as bad as you think, if another animal species(lets say dogs) could use a gun we would be toast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #329
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we didn't have the tools, I'm sure we wouldn't stand out much.

Unarmed fights tend to be pretty similar to be most animal fights; a lot of huffing and puffing and banging of chests, a short wrestle or a few blows, and the loser bows out or runs away.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #330
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
If we didn't have the tools, I'm sure we wouldn't stand out much.

Unarmed fights tend to be pretty similar to be most animal fights; a lot of huffing and puffing and banging of chests, a short wrestle or a few blows, and the loser bows out or runs away.
Not in Florida
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #331
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How long have you been an NRA member?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #332
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
How long have you been an NRA member?
Really?

you clearly just blather on without knowing a single thing, its a funny pattern with you.

Go back and review my post history, I'm pretty much anti-NRA major gun control.

Its getting hard to take you seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #333
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Other animals will kill to show force and protect their territory...Lions for instance.

B.S ..Most gun deaths are not the result of a planned murder, accidental deaths alone is a good enough reason to ban handguns in America.

Humans aren't as bad as you think, if another animal species(lets say dogs) could use a gun we would be toast.
Sorry I don't have much faith in the human species. We find reasons to kill beyond territory and food.

A lot of the major mass shootings were planned and scouted. and thought about.

Personally I would love to see the removal of guns from average Joe society, I don't see a purpose in it, especially with hand guns, I agree with the accidential deaths going down, I would even agree that the over eager home defense nut killings would go down.

The mass killings wouldn't be as spectacular in body count so in a way your right they would reduce. But believe me they would still happen. People have been finding ways to poison each other, stab each other and blugeon each other since the beginning of time.

Not to joke, but if we got rid of guns we might see people taking out their rage on each other in more road runner vs While E Coyote type of methods.

One minute your talking to your neighbour the next your both under a 10 tonne acme weight.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #334
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really?

you clearly just blather on without knowing a single thing, its a funny pattern with you.

Go back and review my post history, I'm pretty much anti-NRA major gun control.

Its getting hard to take you seriously.
Maybe you're just confusing me.

Quote:

Quote:
Personally I would love to see the removal of guns from average Joe society, I don't see a purpose in it, especially with hand guns, I agree with the accidential deaths going down, I would even agree that the over eager home defense nut killings would go down.

The mass killings wouldn't be as spectacular in body count so in a way your right they would reduce. But believe me they would still happen. People have been finding ways to poison each other, stab each other and blugeon each other since the beginning of time.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #335
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Toddlers kill more Americans than terrorists this year.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...rists-did-year
Jan. 10: 6-year-old playmate shoots and kills 4-year-old Trinity Ross, Kansas City, Kan.
Feb. 11: 4-year-old Joshua Johnson shoots and kills himself, Memphis, Tenn.
Feb. 24: 4-year-old Jaiden Pratt dies after shooting himself in the stomach while his father sleeps, Houston.
March 30: 4-year-old Rahquel Carr shot and killed either by 6-year-old brother or another young playmate, Miami.
April 6: Josephine Fanning, 48, shot and killed by 4-year-old boy at a barbecue, Wilson County, Tenn.
April 8: 4-year-old shoots and kills 6-year-old friend Brandon Holt, Toms River, N.J.
April 9: 3-year-old is killed after he finds a pink gun that he thinks is a toy, Greenville, S.C.
April 30: 2-year-old Caroline Sparks killed by her 5-year-old brother with his Cricket “My First Rifle” marketed to kids, Cumberland County, Ky.
May 1: 3-year-old Darrien Nez shoots himself in the face and dies after finding his grandmother’s gun, Yuma, Ariz.
May 7: 3-year-old Jadarrius Speights fatally shoots himself with his uncle’s gun, Tampa, Fla.
June 7: 4-year-old fatally shoots his father, Green Beret Justin Thomas, Prescott Valley, Ariz.
Man's predatory nature at work.

If it wasn't a gun, it would have been a stuffed toy or a jolly jumper.

Nature finds a way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #336
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I would say any reduction to the current levels is a huge win, even if it doesn't eliminate it. I liken it to lowering the legal blood/alcohol level; if you were to set it at .05 instead of .08, you would get more dangerous people off the road and people would be more reluctant to even step in the drivers seat after a beer or two (and after a big steak dinner). The thought of risking it even after one beer would be a no-no for the average citizen.

It may be more arduous to enforce, but I believe society would find that balance much in the same manner when .08 became the legal limit. You wouldn't reduce all the drunk driving incidents, but you would certainly create more of a deterrent. Some people would argue "I need a gun to live!" as openly and irrationally as people who say "I need alcohol to have a good time" and have next to no understanding of the dangers of firearms, but stricter rules are never a bad thing, as long as the cost-benefit isn't more greatly negative on the general population (e.g. unsustainable higher taxes to fund stricter drunk driving laws).

Now, until someone invents an instant-sobriety pill for drunk driving, any reduction to incidents is the next best thing. The same thing applies to guns.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 08-09-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #337
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry I don't have much faith in the human species. We find reasons to kill beyond territory and food.

A lot of the major mass shootings were planned and scouted. and thought about.

Not to joke, but if we got rid of guns we might see people taking out their rage on each other in more road runner vs While E Coyote type of methods.

One minute your talking to your neighbour the next your both under a 10 tonne acme weight.
Okay now you're just getting crazy. When was the last time you heard of a truly mass killing that used anything but a firearm or explosive? When has their ever been a mass killing involving Wil-E-Coyote methods?

The whole argument here is that the removal of guns drastically reduces the ability of anyone to perpetrate a mass killing, and I see nothing that counters that besides some fanciful notions of elaborate plans involving cartoons. People will still kill each other, nobody has said otherwise, but without firearms the ability to do so on a mass scale is drastically reduced.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #338
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
April 30: 2-year-old Caroline Sparks killed by her 5-year-old brother with his Cricket “My First Rifle” marketed to kids, Cumberland County, Ky.
just crazy
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #339
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Most house cats are pathological killers. Ask any mouse that's been tortured and left to die.
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #340
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Cats. Cats would totally kill us.
Closed Thread