Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #321
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt any SAGD operation shuts in. That would irreperably damage the reservoir to some extent. It is much more likely that someone with a stronger balance sheet would snap that asset up first and just weather the losses.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #322
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It means to stop producing oil.

So Sagd it means turning off the steam gens and closing the producers and letting the resivoirs slowly cool and de pressurize. This makes it more difficult to regain production and may permenantly lower the total production from the well long term.
My understanding is that the costs to restart Sagd is astronomically high, so I'm sure that is factored into the overall timing of pulling the pin. I'm sure there are lots of engineers here that can chime in.

The fuel cost, and carbon footprint of having to reheat the entire system can't be insignificant. And if there is risk of long term production degradation, risky to say the least.

Last edited by Flacker; 01-18-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #323
edmontonice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, on the surface that could be correct, but realistically what is the benefit in flooding the market that has surplus supply already at a ridiculously low price?

Sure, its dollars coming in the door, but are those dollars profit? If the price is low it makes more sense to hold back and wait until it comes up so you can maximize the benefit of your resource.

Its the same mistake the Saudis are making. "Flood the market and gain marketshare!!!"

Great. Lots of people are buying what you're selling, just at rock-bottom prices. So you're selling lots of stuff, just not making much while you're at it.

Congratulations?
I don't think Iran is making a mistake.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ojects-in-play

As for choosing to keep barrels in the ground: if you know what the price of oil is going to be in the future so you can compare to today and decide what's worth more to you, then you might as well skip producing and just play in the futures markets.
edmontonice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edmontonice For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #324
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to ask this, but are there any environmental effects or extra costs with cutting a tap?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #325
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
My understanding is that the costs to restart Sagd is astronomically high, so I'm sure that is factored into the overall timing of pulling the pin. I'm sure there are lots of engineers here that can chime in.

The fuel cost, and carbon footprint of having to reheat the entire system can't be insignificant. And if there is risk of long term production degradation, risky to say the least.
Yep this is true. Which is why I think that most Sagd producers would have hedged enough of 2016 production to survive the $20 oil scenario. The downside risk is just too high if you were forced to shut in.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #326
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I hate to ask this, but are there any environmental effects or extra costs with cutting a tap?
At some point you have to abandon the wells and pipelines which costs money or you have to continue to monitor well integrity. I would assume most would just suspend operations so the only costs would me monitoring integrity.

One risk to the province would be companies going bankrupt without doing any reclamation on old non productive assets. This could lead to environmental liability falling to the province.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #327
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
From the reports I've read, oil sands production is unlikely to see shut-ins unless WTI gets to the low $20's and stays there. Based on the average variable costs, mining projects will continue down below $10/bbl and SAGD projects could see shut-ins in the $20-30/bbl range. This is all for existing production where the fixed capital has largely been spent.
With heavy oil and bitumen there is talk that some producers are getting less than $10 us per barrel in Alberta. That is nowhere close to break even price levels.

Here is an article about the US patch. This may not be far off in Alberta.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...s-than-nothing

Quote:

January 18, 2016 — 1:28 AM MST Updated on January 18, 2016 — 3:01 PM MST

Oil is so plentiful and cheap in the U.S. that at least one buyer says it would pay almost nothing to take a certain type of low-quality crude.

Flint Hills Resources LLC, the refining arm of billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch’s industrial empire, said it offered to pay $1.50 a barrel Friday for North Dakota Sour, a high-sulfur grade of crude, according to a corrected list of prices posted on its website Monday. It had previously posted a price of -$0.50. The crude is down from $13.50 a barrel a year ago and $47.60 in January 2014.

While the near-zero price is due to the lack of pipeline capacity for a particular variety of ultra low quality crude, it underscores how dire things are in the U.S. oil patch. U.S. benchmark oil prices have collapsed more than 70 percent in the past 18 months and fell below $30 a barrel for the first time in 12 years last week. West Texas Intermediate traded as low as $28.36 in New York. Brent, the international benchmark, settled at $28.55 in London.

“Telling producers that they have to pay you to take away their oil certainly gives the producers a whole bunch of incentive to shut in their wells,” Andy Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates LLC in Houston, said of the price that was posted as negative until Flint Hills revised it on Monday.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #328
Jag_Gator
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I love how you quoted me for this, I'm a senior tech consultant and I know all to well the market for tech jobs in Alberta - of which there are many opportunities right now and will have many more on the way with the amount of startups resulting from this oil crash.

Highly recommend Code Academy too, as well as Treehouse. Basically any website that lets you learn code incrementally, as well as track your progress is a huge benefit.
Yep this what I've been doing since the end of October. I've done a lot of WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) and content management system development over the years and am trying to make the transition to full stack web as well as software development. I love this stuff.
Jag_Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #329
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its the same mistake the Saudis are making.
And Canada. And the US. And everywhere else.

Prices high? Get it out of the ground! Prices low? Get it out of the ground!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #330
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, on the surface that could be correct, but realistically what is the benefit in flooding the market that has surplus supply already at a ridiculously low price?

Sure, its dollars coming in the door, but are those dollars profit? If the price is low it makes more sense to hold back and wait until it comes up so you can maximize the benefit of your resource.

Its the same mistake the Saudis are making. "Flood the market and gain marketshare!!!"

Great. Lots of people are buying what you're selling, just at rock-bottom prices. So you're selling lots of stuff, just not making much while you're at it.

Congratulations?
For both Iran and the Saudis, yes it is operating profit (as in revenue minus opex). Extraction costs for both are ridiculously low.

However the difference between the two is that for Iran it literally is found money. They've been living for a while and building budgets on essentially zero oil revenue. So any extra dollars coming in the door increases their standard of living. Their old budgets effectively break even at opex (say, $5).

Saudi on the other hand has been living off of their insane oil profits to maintain a higher standard of living. It's not their operations that break even at $120 or whatever, it is their budget that breaks even at $120. Their operations probably break even at like $5. So at these low low prices their standard of living is taking a huge hit, or at least will take a huge hit when they get sick of burning a hole in their $700B sovereign wealth fund.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #331
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
With heavy oil and bitumen there is talk that some producers are getting less than $10 us per barrel in Alberta. That is nowhere close to break even price levels.

Here is an article about the US patch. This may not be far off in Alberta.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...s-than-nothing
$10 Canadian for bitumen is break even for the lowest cost SAGD producers as it essentially excludes the silent addition. So if you are getting 8.50 U.S. For bitumen a company like MEG is still above break even as op cost is only $9.10 cad.

http://www.megenergy.com/sites/defau...5%20Report.pdf

Cenovous is like $8.

The interesting thing about the Alberta Industry as opposed to US shale is that while the initial capital intensity is very high the op costs are actually relatively low and the penalties for shut in high. Compared to shale which requires ongoing capital reinvestment of oil produced by the previous well to keep going. This means that shale should blink first in terms of production cuts.

Last edited by GGG; 01-18-2016 at 09:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #332
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So realistically, how much EXTRA oil is showing up from Iran, understanding that they have obviously been sending it elsewhere?

I understand the big future risk is they have sanctions lifted so they can develop more easy oil, but in the meantime, is their any net change? how much?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #333
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So who else has been following oil with HOD in the last while?

More importantly, with all the knowledge in this thread, when should one take a monster long position? (and, by long, I mean the leveraged HOU - so not long at all in a temporal sense)?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #334
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy! I guess if it approached zero that would be a safe time to go in :-)
I'd have some Advil on hand for sure if I took a bite
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #335
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
So who else has been following oil with HOD in the last while?

More importantly, with all the knowledge in this thread, when should one take a monster long position? (and, by long, I mean the leveraged HOU - so not long at all in a temporal sense)?
The forward strip pricing isn't all that unreasonable right now. You would be betting on an event that causes a disruption and a price increase which is very unpredictable.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #336
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
At some point you have to abandon the wells and pipelines which costs money or you have to continue to monitor well integrity. I would assume most would just suspend operations so the only costs would me monitoring integrity.

One risk to the province would be companies going bankrupt without doing any reclamation on old non productive assets. This could lead to environmental liability falling to the province.

This was more of a problem in the past but I believe regulators have started collecting funds from producers in a separate trust fund to pay for these abandonments in the futures. I'm not sure about wells, but for pipelines I know the NEB is going this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #337
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
It means to stop producing oil.

So Sagd it means turning off the steam gens and closing the producers and letting the resivoirs slowly cool and de pressurize. This makes it more difficult to regain production and may permenantly lower the total production from the well long term.
I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but doesn't the term derive from conventional oil, where a well is "shut in"?
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #338
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Early trading appears to indicate that Iranian production was largely priced in.

In positive news:

http://boereport.com/2016/01/18/trud...d-hit-alberta/

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #339
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Early trading appears to indicate that Iranian production was largely priced in.

In positive news:

http://boereport.com/2016/01/18/trud...d-hit-alberta/
The government is in talks to quickly allocate C$1 billion ($690 million) for infrastructure projects in the two provinces

Sweet, that basically covers CalgaryNext!
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #340
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
The government is in talks to quickly allocate C$1 billion ($690 million) for infrastructure projects in the two provinces

Sweet, that basically covers CalgaryNext!
What encouraged me was not the $ figure, but that Trudeau's government recognizes how serious things are in Alberta and Saskatchewan right now.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote