Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #321
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan
Cheese, your wrong! There IS a God!

I couldn't find the back-up file or the autosave file when I did a complete search of my system. So I gave up and Ctrl-alt-del shutdown of my word file happened.

I reopen word and lo and behold there it is with only a paragraph missing from where I was when it froze! THANK YOU DION!

Thanks for the link Rico. It helped me!

no problem, glad to hear its sorted.

now, turn on that autosave, and also save to another location like a flash drive or something every so often!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #322
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picquic
My computer wont start up on the boot all I get is a black screen is that meaning my mobo is fried?
Is your computer actually starting - first thing I would check is PS.

MYK
Old 04-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #323
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos
My laptop has an open port has a symbol underneath it that looks mostly like this: {.....} (the dots are a little higher -- in the middle).

Does anyone know what that symbol means? All the other ports are obvious -- monitor, printer, headphones et cetera but this one is a mystery. I'd like to plug a keyboard into it but it doesn't have a port for that. Just this mysterious thing that will not accomodate a keyboard wire.

Does that look like a fat phone cable - it might be your network connection?

MYK
Old 04-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #324
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal
ive been trying for months to figure out how burn avi files on dvd-r discs using a variety of burning programs with no success. The latest being Nero 7...in which the problem is that my laptpop simply shuts down (power turns off) about 10 minutes into the process. Ive done a lot of searching on the net about this topic and i believe that the problem may be that the computer is overheating or using too much power. Any ideas on how i can overcome this problem?
I would check your hibernation settings. I am going to assume you are just letting it burn and not doing anything with it. If thats the case under contol panel? power setting see what the hibernation/sleep etc mode times are set for.

MYK
Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #325
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff
I found out what the problem was!

It was a PEBKAC error (Problem Exsists Between Keyboard And Chair)

When I checked my mouse configuration it for some reason unbeknownst to me thought that I was using a wireless mouse. So I changed it, for some unknown reason, to yet another wrong mouse! I checked again today to see if there was something I just wasn't seeing and I saw that I had chosen the wrong mouse, so I chose the CORRECT mouse this time. I also changed the middle button function to be "middleclick" instead of "next window".

(and I do this kind of stuff for a living!)
I prefer telling people it was an I D 10 T (ID10T) error.

If they dont write it down they will never figure it out.

MYK
Old 04-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #326
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan
Cheese, your wrong! There IS a God!

I couldn't find the back-up file or the autosave file when I did a complete search of my system. So I gave up and Ctrl-alt-del shutdown of my word file happened.

I reopen word and lo and behold there it is with only a paragraph missing from where I was when it froze! THANK YOU DION!

Thanks for the link Rico. It helped me!
Try unhiding all files on your c and then do a search for *.doc files.

Word will place temporary copies in the strangest places (usually in the Temporary Internet Files of \local settings\application data\microsft

MYK
Old 04-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #327
lucid
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm. all fixed

Last edited by lucid; 04-10-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #328
Fobulous
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default USB Key help

Hello All,

I was having some problems with my USB key. When I try and double click the USB key to open it, an error message saying "Your USB key has not been formatted, format now?" comes up... I click ok and it says access denied.

Any ideas of how I can fix this problem? Or should I just pick up another one?

Thanks in advance!

-FOB
Old 04-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #329
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PDFs

Is there anyway to take a form on PDF, type your responses into (or more like onto) the blanks, and send it back as a PDF?

Okay, I guess I've been fata'd... I need Acrobat (which I don't have) instead of Acrobat Reader.

Last edited by icarus; 04-16-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #330
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

My USB connection seems to fail for stretches of time, and sometimes, only some devices (external HD, USB key) will work and some won't (printer). Does anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking its either
a) something on the board is shorting out
b) the drivers are screwed up

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the speed of the connection for the printer?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #331
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
Is there anyway to take a form on PDF, type your responses into (or more like onto) the blanks, and send it back as a PDF?

Okay, I guess I've been fata'd... I need Acrobat (which I don't have) instead of Acrobat Reader.
Sorry I'm too lazy to search, but there are 'free' open source programs for reading/writing PDFs. However, not sure if they can handle anything beyond the basics (ie, forms).
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #332
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobulous
Hello All,

I was having some problems with my USB key. When I try and double click the USB key to open it, an error message saying "Your USB key has not been formatted, format now?" comes up... I click ok and it says access denied.

Any ideas of how I can fix this problem? Or should I just pick up another one?

Thanks in advance!

-FOB
Pick up another. They can (and do) go bad. Newer ones are much more reliable, but sometimes pulling them out when they are still being written to will screw them.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #333
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try to format the USB key to NTFS permissions (or FAT it you are going to use on Pre W2K computers). Just right click on the drive letter and choose format, else go into computer management.

Some USB Keys have a hardware lock switch that wont let you write to the drive - make sure that is off. Also - I have seen some that require you to use its own proprietary encryption software to use.

MYK

Last edited by mykalberta; 04-19-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #334
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open Office allows you to modify PDF documents and then save them. The problem is on most Adobe documents security guards are in place to prevent that - cracks are available.

PDF is the recognized standard that everyone should be using when sending documents to those outside of a company.

MYK
Old 04-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #335
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
My USB connection seems to fail for stretches of time, and sometimes, only some devices (external HD, USB key) will work and some won't (printer). Does anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking its either
a) something on the board is shorting out
b) the drivers are screwed up

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the speed of the connection for the printer?

Thanks
What OS are you running. Some devices require the device to be powered - example USB keys and External HD. Mice/Keyboards/Cameras normally are either self powered or dont require enough power to matter. I would guess its either:

Mobo USB ports arent rated to handle power over usb devices.
Mobo USB ports are just wonky.

Intermitent problems are likely hardware (the reason for the above suggestions), and not driver problems unless you are running pre W2K.

MYK
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #336
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Help!!!

I'm having a bizarre problem on my home PC....I run Explorer as my web browser and in the last couple of days, it won't let me get to a site by typing a url in the address field. Basically what happens is that the Explorer icon starts to spin and nothing happens...the only way to stop it is to close the Explorer window. As a workaround, I've been typing the url in the Google homepage field and getting to the site through the link it brings up. I've run Norton and come up clean on viruses...any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #337
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDarts
I'm having a bizarre problem on my home PC....I run Explorer as my web browser and in the last couple of days, it won't let me get to a site by typing a url in the address field. Basically what happens is that the Explorer icon starts to spin and nothing happens...the only way to stop it is to close the Explorer window. As a workaround, I've been typing the url in the Google homepage field and getting to the site through the link it brings up. I've run Norton and come up clean on viruses...any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
I'm kind of anti-Norton. It misses stuff. As an occassional sanity check, run Housecall

Have tried any anti-spyware tools? Microsoft anti-spyware, Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D are all things to try.

Also, you can try How to reinstall or repair IE from Microsoft's site.

Finally, Get Firefox or try Opera
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #338
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Another thing you can try is look at the HOSTS file and make sure that there are no other entries other than 127.0.0.1 localhost. Alot of the the time, spyware alters the hosts file to redirect you through their sites and such.
You can find the hosts file in the following directory:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
Just right click on it and open with notepad, or select from list and find notepad.

Before you try this though, do attempt to fix it by using anti-spyware software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead
I'm kind of anti-Norton. It misses stuff.
Every AV vendor misses stuff, so it is best to use a number of different tools to keep your computer safe and clean.

Last edited by arsenal; 04-20-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #339
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal
Every AV vendor misses stuff, so it is best to use a number of different tools to keep your computer safe and clean.
For sure, but Norton has been resting on it's laurels for a long time and, IMHO has been surpassed by many AV vendors. AVG or Avast do a better job for free. Kaspersky & NOD32 are very highly rated.

Norton seemed to lose their edge when they started selling their Internet Suite. Their corporate stuff isn't too bad, but their retail offerings suck donkey balls.

In this case, I suspect something has tried to install a BHO. Probably not Hosts ot he wouldn't be able to get to sites through links either. A reinstall will probably fix it if the removal of malware doesn't work.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #340
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Thanks

Thanks to Bobblehead et al.... I ran Housecall and it found a shwack of worms/spyware, etc... got rid of that but the issuer didn;t go away. I ended up downloading firefox and that seems to run perfectly

Thanks again
Closed Thread