Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #3341
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
This is a fairly giant response for an alleged nothing-burger.

Colin Kaepernick is one of the biggest celebrity faces of the BLM movement, and Madden is one of the biggest video game franchises.

The amount of pearl clutching over my original post is ####ing incredible considering all the responses are "omg stop being so offended".

It's newsworthy, it's political in nature, and I think it's dumb EA is virtue signaling by making him an 81 which puts him ahead of fully half the QB's who are currently in the game. All the Karens who are upset this is being posted here: feel free to ignore the post
Do you notice how often it's you vs a bunch of "pearl clutching Karens" on this board? There the old adage that "if most of the people you encounter everyday are #######s, then you're the #######" I think applies here
Old 09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #3342
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Do you notice how often it's you vs a bunch of "pearl clutching Karens" on this board? There the old adage that "if most of the people you encounter everyday are #######s, then you're the #######" I think applies here
Can't disagree. I am definitely an #######.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #3343
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't think Colin Kaepernick is related to American Politics? That's a pretty #### opinion no offense.
It's more about context. Kaepernick kneeling and the reaction to it was political. This is just business though.

Kaepernick is trying to make a comeback and being in the EA game is a way to keep himself in the public eye. By the sounds of it, EA approached him first. The rating was probably part of the negotiation to use his likeness and not a political statement. If a player wants to make a comeback and the company wants to use your likeness for marketing, why wouldn't you ensure that your rating is decent?
Old 09-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #3344
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shocker here, but not everything that the corporate news media reports on is actually newsworthy. It's a distraction to drive clicks, it's not meaningful news to anyone except the Karens who want to be offended by it. Media wins again getting people riled up enough to spend time on this (ironically the same people moaning about this likely always complain about the media).
Old 09-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #3345
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Weird how they all put it in their sports and tech sections, no mention of it in the Politics section and no mention in the articles of his being a face of the BLM movement. I guess they missed how political it was in nature.

Maybe if this board has sports or tech sections we would have discussed it there. I guess we'll never know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #3346
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never more appropriate.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #3347
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't disagree. I am definitely an #######.
You realise the reasons he stopped playing I hope? Was not due to his talent but the institutional racism within the nfl and their internal politics of perception.

You've made yourself a nice little hill to die on, but you should probably stfu about it and go pick some other cherry trees.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #3348
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

Some ominous approval polls out today, not highly regarded pollsters so hopefully just outliers.

Trump approval in one at 47%.

Florida highly rated pollster Marist College shows the race is basically a coin toss 48:48.
Florida being a coin toss in nothing new
Old 09-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #3349
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/8/21...ports-added-qb

I know this is probably better suited for a game thread, but, yeah.

Dude was a 74 overall in the last madden he was in, hasn't played a down since, and is now 81. Garbage.
Counter rebuttal

https://medium.com/s/story/how-many-...l-b82aa77207ab

Quote:
According to Madden Ratings, Kaepernick’s overall player ratings at the launches of Madden NFL 12–17 (released between 2011 and 2016) were 70, 70, 89, 89, 81, and 74, respectively. Kaepernick’s overall rating of 73 in Madden NFL 18 is odd, because the 2016 NFL season, which should have been used to determine his ratings, was the best statistical season he’d had in years. While his team, the San Francisco 49ers, didn’t have the season he did, One could argue Kaepernick was due for an upgrade.
I can't believe I found a counter rebuttal for something as trivial like this, but it is the internet after all.

I really don't care, I just did it to counter your argument. EA points is serious business.

Last edited by Firebot; 09-08-2020 at 03:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #3350
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think what EA is doing is pretty lame, but Kaepernick has scarified more for what he believes in than many other 'celebrities' and sports figures.

Who was kneeling with him 5 years ago? Almost nobody. He stood alone and it cost him his career. Sure, he makes more than enough money in other ways, but you gotta admire someone who stands up for what they believe at the expense of whatever comes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #3351
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Good god next they’ll let them into our schools. Our neighbourhoods. They’ll even be dating our daughters and sisters. It starts with a video game but where does it stop? Ask yourself that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #3352
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a fairly giant response for an alleged nothing-burger.

Colin Kaepernick is one of the biggest celebrity faces of the BLM movement, and Madden is one of the biggest video game franchises.

The amount of pearl clutching over my original post is ####ing incredible considering all the responses are "omg stop being so offended".

It's newsworthy, it's political in nature, and I think it's dumb EA is virtue signaling by making him an 81 which puts him ahead of fully half the QB's who are currently in the game. All the Karens who are upset this is being posted here: feel free to ignore the post
Actually, it's about ethics in gaming journalism.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #3353
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Maybe he’s improved on the Uncle Ricky work out

It's uncle Rico- Show the man some respect, he can throw a football over a mountain!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #3354
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I don't think anyone is counting on Biden being healthy enough to run in four years. He's barely healthy enough to be a credible candidate now. Trump was already the oldest president ever to be elected for first term, and he was 70. Biden is about to be 78.
This all makes sense, and I could certainly see him not seeking re-election, but don't count out the desire to win and the perceived impact of being an incumbent president. Trump is the exception to every political rule, but one such rule is that if you're running against an incumbent, you're running uphill. So if things are actually looking okay - i.e. his approval rating is solid - I would expect him to seek a second term. Not written in stone, but if I were to bet on one outcome or the other, that's what I'd bet on.
Quote:
I also really doubt Harris is in the longterm plans for Democrats.
This, I don't agree with. I'm sure there will be a nomination process like this one but if you've been the VP, unless the administration you were in is deeply unpopular, you're the presumptive nominee next time around if you want to run. Harris clearly wants it. So, again, unless something goes very wrong for the Democrats, she's almost certainly their next presidential candidate, whether it's in 4 years or 8.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #3355
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I can't believe the Democrats are dumb enough to go with Harris as anything more than a VP candidate, and we all know they did that to appeal to what is going on in the US right now.

Seriously, take a dive into her career. She is evil. The fact that the media isn't even bothering to report it is pretty telling.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #3356
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Uncle Rico.
Dammit I knew it too. Should’ve checked before my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
It's uncle Rico- Show the man some respect, he can throw a football over a mountain!
I think you mean “some DANG respect”.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #3357
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I should also go back and dig up some posts where people like Lanny jumped all over me when I said McCain wasn't too old to be President.

*crickets*
Old 09-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #3358
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
That might be a good enough reason. After all, Biden’s campaign is currently flush with cash, and while we don’t know how Trump’s is doing there are signs (like going dark in Arizona) that he may be hurting for money right now.
Quote:
In the middle of a NYT story explaining why Trump, whose campaign has raised over $1 billion, is facing a cash crunch, it reveals that Trump’s bodyguard — whom they don’t name — has been paid $500,000 since 2017.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2020/09/0...eith-schiller/
Old 09-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #3359
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I should also go back and dig up some posts where people like Lanny jumped all over me when I said McCain wasn't too old to be President.

*crickets*
Really? You mean quotes from over a decade ago?
Old 09-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #3360
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Really? You mean quotes from over a decade ago?
McCain would have been 72 if he would have been elected.

Biden will be what, 78?

Why are we electing old white guys who can't possibly deal with the stress of being President?
Closed Thread