Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #3261
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still really liked Man of Steel and Batman V Superman (the extended/directors cut is awesome).

Birds of Prey - watched it once, 0 reason to return.
Suicide Squad - watched it once, 0 reason to return.
Wonder Woman - bland summer blockbuster, enjoyed it but no reason to return.
Wonder Woman 84 - absolutely awful. The worst of the worst.
Justice League - Tough for me to hate on this with what happened to Snyder’s family. I understand why he left the project, but hiring Joss Whedon was an absolutely moronic move.
AquaMan - ridiculous, but enjoyable.

WB as a studio has handled this all poorly.

I’m diving into the Snyder Cut of JL today.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-20-2021 at 10:11 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #3262
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not going to comment on Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman (although....come on!) but Birds of Prey was pure garbage.

That was a chore.

I dont know how you make a film about attractive yet violent women that uninteresting....but they found a way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #3263
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I still haven't seen Birds of Prey, WW2 or the Joker. I fell asleep during Wonder Woman 1, which was the first time I've ever fallen asleep during a comic book movie. Even the original Daredevil with Ben Affleck kept me awake. I woke up when she was fighting that guy who ended up being Ares and I was like, was that supposed to be a big reveal?

Suicide Squad I suffered through, I liked Harley Quinn and I am a fan of Will Smith, not everyone is but I always like his movies even though he basically just plays himself. BvS I enjoyed parts of, but even the hardest DC fanboism inside of me couldn't say it was 'good'. Man of Steel I thoroughly enjoyed though. Aquaman was hot garbage.

I'd say that the Snyder cut is my favourite of all those DC movies.

But I have to wonder what the plan is.. like can we just scrap this and start over. It is all just one big hot mess right now.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #3264
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I still haven't seen Birds of Prey, WW2 or the Joker. I fell asleep during Wonder Woman 1, which was the first time I've ever fallen asleep during a comic book movie. Even the original Daredevil with Ben Affleck kept me awake. I woke up when she was fighting that guy who ended up being Ares and I was like, was that supposed to be a big reveal?

Suicide Squad I suffered through, I liked Harley Quinn and I am a fan of Will Smith, not everyone is but I always like his movies even though he basically just plays himself. BvS I enjoyed parts of, but even the hardest DC fanboism inside of me couldn't say it was 'good'. Man of Steel I thoroughly enjoyed though. Aquaman was hot garbage.

I'd say that the Snyder cut is my favourite of all those DC movies.

But I have to wonder what the plan is.. like can we just scrap this and start over. It is all just one big hot mess right now.
I believe Flashpoint is going to act as a pretty hard reboot for the DCEU. I’m excited what they’re going to do.

I want Henry Cavill to remain Superman though. He’s perfect for it. I also thought Affleck was a fantastic casting - but the way Justice League’s theatrical release went down, it’s tough.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #3265
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I believe Flashpoint is going to act as a pretty hard reboot for the DCEU. I’m excited what they’re going to do.

I want Henry Cavill to remain Superman though. He’s perfect for it. I also thought Affleck was a fantastic casting - but the way Justice League’s theatrical release went down, it’s tough.
If they could do Flashpoint properly it will be pretty epic, definitely one of my favourite arcs of all time.

I don't like Affleck as Batman, to many times there has been shock and awe on his face, he's using guns, I get that it is supposed to be a more hardened version after 20 years of crime fighting. But I don't care, you're sticking him next to junior Flash/Superman/Aquaman etc.. it just doesn't work.

I look forward to Pattison's take on it, he has the brooding loner down pact. We might actually finally see a proper Bruce Wayne for the first time since Micheal Keaton.

Bah here I am getting sucked back into this swirling toilet bowl. DC just can't get it right, not like that shining example of Disney.. I'm going back to watch the new Star Wars movies and just forget that anything can ruin classic franchises for you.. oh wait.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #3266
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
If they could do Flashpoint properly it will be pretty epic, definitely one of my favourite arcs of all time.

I don't like Affleck as Batman, to many times there has been shock and awe on his face, he's using guns, I get that it is supposed to be a more hardened version after 20 years of crime fighting. But I don't care, you're sticking him next to junior Flash/Superman/Aquaman etc.. it just doesn't work.

I look forward to Pattison's take on it, he has the brooding loner down pact. We might actually finally see a proper Bruce Wayne for the first time since Micheal Keaton.

Bah here I am getting sucked back into this swirling toilet bowl. DC just can't get it right, not like that shining example of Disney.. I'm going back to watch the new Star Wars movies and just forget that anything can ruin classic franchises for you.. oh wait.
Because they've done so well with all of the rest of their excellent source material.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #3267
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this movie is a huge success, I fully expect DCEU to split into 2. Snyder can finish his 5 film arc on HBO max and Flash solo will reboot what's going on with the theatrical releases. Excited to see Keaton back in the cowl
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #3268
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I am not going to comment on Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman (although....come on!) but Birds of Prey was pure garbage.

That was a chore.

I dont know how you make a film about attractive yet violent women that uninteresting....but they found a way.
Well, if you were still wondering “what you’re in for” with JL, then there you have it.

By comparison, Birds of Prey was pretty entertaining.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #3269
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Since this movie is a huge success, I fully expect DCEU to split into 2. Snyder can finish his 5 film arc on HBO max and Flash solo will reboot what's going on with the theatrical releases. Excited to see Keaton back in the cowl
That's not happening. He's even said he won't be doing more DC movies because they're not interested. Also, this cost $70 million and all the footage was shot on another budget. They're not going to authorize a $200+ million movie just for HBO Max.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #3270
BMStrikesAgain
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Wow the MCU really have some of y'all convinced there is only one way to make a superhero film huh.
When you put out a dumpster fire you're still left with a dumpster. Millions of ways to make a comic book movie but hack zack hasn't found a way. Fox made the Xmen, Deadpool and Logan,all different movies. Deadpool and wolverine are totally different but both great!

Whatever this version justice league this was, was a joke. I literally laughed out loud at the start "to preserve zack snyder vision". He's sooo terrible and such a hack director.
BMStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #3271
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMStrikesAgain View Post
When you put out a dumpster fire you're still left with a dumpster. Millions of ways to make a comic book movie but hack zack hasn't found a way. Fox made the Xmen, Deadpool and Logan,all different movies. Deadpool and wolverine are totally different but both great!

Whatever this version justice league this was, was a joke. I literally laughed out loud at the start "to preserve zack snyder vision". He's sooo terrible and such a hack director.
I didn't know Joss Whedon had a CP account
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 02:37 PM   #3272
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't know Joss Whedon had a CP account
From the guy who straight up sounds like DC writes his cheques.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #3273
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only really good DC films recently are the first Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Joker.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #3274
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its weird, I just wasn't a huge fan of the Joker, maybe it was the type or whatever, but I guess it wasn't for me. I did like Shazam, and I did like the first wonder woman.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #3275
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Yeah, I thought I'd love the Joker but I found it boring as hell.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #3276
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Yeah, I thought I'd love the Joker but I found it boring as hell.
You probably would have liked it in it's original form, The King of Comedy.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #3277
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, it took three days and I kept notes on what looked like pertinent changes so I wouldn't lose track between viewings. Here are my takeaways :

Snyder is not a good motion picture director. He is an excellent music video director and decent at putting together a fight/action sequence. A complete movie of 'epic' visuals makes none of them epic, because they come across as a plateau.

Joe Morton and Jeremy Irons are the tits.

The ending makes sense now!

Steppenwolf, and the villains as a whole are much better represented. By making them have some depth and motivation, the heroic journey actually has some gravity. This is really basic stuff.

The CGI is soooo horrible. And it's everywhere.

The writing on anything Cyborg related is really cringy. It's what a junior high kid would think of as deep and touching.

This could use 'The Snyder Edit' and bring it down to 3 and a half hours. Pretty bloated. If the slo-mo was regular speed, this could probably be fixed. The only guy who should be slo-mo is Flash.

Here are my notes. It's mostly nonsensical on a re-read, but a couple are funny, and good reminders.

Spoiler!
Old 03-20-2021, 10:57 PM   #3278
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved your notes, I'm halfway through chapter 2 and ready to call it a night.

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 03-20-2021 at 11:03 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:27 AM   #3279
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great Break down Harry Lime I think you pretty much nailed every chapter.

I had nothing to do today so I just finished watching Joss's Justice League followed by the 4-hour marathon that is ZS Justice League.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
/snip

What is up with Aqua man constantly taking off his shirt (that is already soaking wet!) before jumping into the ocean? That little village must be covered in random shirts that have been dramatically cast aside each time Aquaman returns to the sea.

/snip
this bothered me too. Does Aquaman have the power to make boots, cable-knit sweaters, and fur-lined jackets just appear every time he shows up on land? There must be a lot of stylishly dressed villagers in that town wearing his cast offs.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:39 AM   #3280
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'll hate-watch it and get back to you.

JL is in "so bad it's good" territory, but falls short because it's 4 ####ing hours long and boring as hell. It is funny though.

Some of the funniest parts of just the first hour (or two? or three, what a horrific blur):
- Constant, pointless slow motion, including like the first entire 5 minutes in slow motion LOL
- "Show them your fear!" says queen wonder woman lady "We have no fear! Yaaaaaaa!" says others wonder womans? LOL
- Weird Finnish girls creepy singing while fishman goes for a dip in the lake (LOL)
- Wonder Woman walking like a ####ing crab while she blocks bullets instead of just grabbing the shooters gun? LOL
- Wonder Woman blasting out the entire wall of a building TO KILL ONE SINGLE HUMAN PERSON LOLLLLLLL
- A classic "I HATE MY DAD" cyborg storyline? Nice, LOL
- Aquaman standing on the dock looking SERIOUS while a VERY COOL ACOUSTIC song plays because THIS IS SERIOUS I THINK? looooooool

I'm sorry, I'll stop. I started watching this at midnight and just hate watched the rest after the first 30 minutes was unbearable. I'm sure someone likes it, good to have different opinions, but I will literally listen to nothing anyone who likes this has to say about movies (From mindless action movie to some piece of french new wave cinema) ever. What a load.
you forgot to mention the scene where WW tells a little girl she can be anything she wants to be when asked if she can be like her someday.
lol, sorry, no. Unless you are also 1/2 god, 1/2 ancient immortal race of amazon warriors.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post: