Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #3241
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Davies as a centre back? Truly, bizarre.
Why would Davies be the CB? Bizzare take.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #3242
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Why would Davies be the CB? Bizzare take.

Quote:
I'd probably try and play on a warm/dry surface against the US, and let Davies work the right side. We will need to out-pace and out-run them; focus on tiring them out. Our boys seem to have deft control at long-passes and through-passes, so let's make them run. Also not let Davies try and be a dipsy-doodling hero, it cost him multiple times during his games in Edmonton.

3-4-3 sounds proper, with Adekugbe, Estaquio, Laryea and Buchanan manning the middle, Johnston, Miller and Davies on the backend, and get Larin/David up front taking switches and through-passes, with Ugbo swapping in depending on pace.
You said Davies on the backend. Are you not familiar with how a 3-4-3 works?
Those 3 in the back are LCB, CB, RCB. CB's can advance the ball, but won't be asked for any overlaps, which is what we want from Davies.

Perhaps you're thinking of a 5-3-2 (Herdman has utilized), that allows the width that Davies flourishes at, on the wing. Larin & David up front, as you mentioned.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #3243
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You nailed it - Exactly this. From the original tweet, and to those who are endorsing it, they all fully believe that goals scored ranking, are a reflections of their Nation's FIFA ranking.

Not though, that a simple stat is bringing Canadian Mens soccer into the international conversation, & that they're no longer irrelevant.

Lol,

It was a simple stat tweet relax Graham Leggatt.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1461129073602666498
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #3244
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #3245
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tell us another great story of what an amazing AMSL player you were.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #3246
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Inappropriate

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 11-20-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #3247
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You nailed it - Exactly this. From the original tweet, and to those who are endorsing it, they all fully believe that goals scored ranking, are a reflections of their Nation's FIFA ranking.

Not though, that a simple stat is bringing Canadian Mens soccer into the international conversation, & that they're no longer irrelevant.

Lol,

What is an unbiased view of how Canada rates? Will they be chewed up and spat out by traditional football powers or are they a legitimate (though still lower tier) team?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #3248
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Those 3 in the back are LCB, CB, RCB. CB's can advance the ball, but won't be asked for any overlaps, which is what we want from Davies.

Perhaps you're thinking of a 5-3-2 (Herdman has utilized), that allows the width that Davies flourishes at, on the wing. Larin & David up front, as you mentioned.
Nah. While technically the position he would play is LCB on a coaches' game sheet, he would be playing more as a wing-back, which has a heavier emphasis on attack and one of the successful components of a 3-4-3 to function effectively. Davies is a capable wing-back, and can play both winger and fullback. Combined with his speed and strength on controlling the ball and pressing, Davies has the qualities to provide width on the backend, much like Dani Alves or Roberto Carlos had.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #3249
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 5-3-2 against the Americans. It's such a rare formation, but I think it would work well to frustrate the Americans while also allowing Davies to flourish like you mentioned. Having only three in the middle should free up some space for him on the outside, which has been hard to come by as teams are focusing on him.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #3250
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1461450768645509132
Old 11-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #3251
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah. While technically the position he would play is LCB on a coaches' game sheet, he would be playing more as a wing-back, which has a heavier emphasis on attack and one of the successful components of a 3-4-3 to function effectively. Davies is a capable wing-back, and can play both winger and fullback. Combined with his speed and strength on controlling the ball and pressing, Davies has the qualities to provide width on the backend, much like Dani Alves or Roberto Carlos had.
Ok right originally, but left it is. It's where he plays on Bayern, to allow that late step inside, banger.. vs run to the flag and bang a cross, or step-over.

But the 3-4-3 formation, does not promote those centre backs to make those overlaps. You're asking them to provide a third of the defending, while advancing in attack. It's not feasible, you're asking for 20+ km of running. I appreciate the want for Total Football, but if the other 9 outfield positions follow the 3-4-3, formation you're leaving your other two defenders grossly exposed on counters, and early dispossessions.

Alves and Carlos, would've never attacked from a 3 in the back back-line. Instead a flat 4, or 3 CBs with advanced 2 WB's (where they were widest). I'm honestly not sure if Madrid & Barcelona, even used 3 in the back back then. Usually, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #3252
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
What is an unbiased view of how Canada rates? Will they be chewed up and spat out by traditional football powers or are they a legitimate (though still lower tier) team?
I am not gospel, but I feel they'd be competitive to the second tier in UEFA.
(Irish, Swedes, Swiss, Scotts, Welsh, Ukraine, Poles)

d_phaneuf, and similar would give better insight.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #3253
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ok right originally, but left it is. It's where he plays on Bayern, to allow that late step inside, banger.. vs run to the flag and bang a cross, or step-over.

But the 3-4-3 formation, does not promote those centre backs to make those overlaps. You're asking them to provide a third of the defending, while advancing in attack. It's not feasible, you're asking for 20+ km of running. I appreciate the want for Total Football, but if the other 9 outfield positions follow the 3-4-3, formation you're leaving your other two defenders grossly exposed on counters, and early dispossessions.

Alves and Carlos, would've never attacked from a 3 in the back back-line. Instead a flat 4, or 3 CBs with advanced 2 WB's (where they were widest). I'm honestly not sure if Madrid & Barcelona, even used 3 in the back back then. Usually, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1
As someone who plays as the CB in a 3-4-3 fairly often, it is INTEGRAL that your LCB and RCB stay close. You can have the strong side guy venture a little more, as long as the weak side winger covers. I lose my mind when my defenders get lost, b/c then I'm facing a 2v1 down my throat.

Cam is right...a 3-4-3 is more conducive to the RCB and LCB supporting as opposed to overlapping/flying down the wings. With three in the back, they need to stay more central and keep opposition to the outside.

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 11-18-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #3254
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Agree to disagree then. I find wing-backs like Davies are absolutely useful as LCB or RCB in a 3-4-3 for their type of game. He'd be playing LCB but his stamina allows him to play a more offensive-oriented game. He's also quick enough to get back, where the LWB can step behind on an overlap run.

Davies excels as a fullback, but utilizing his speed and strength to push up and switch as needed is making the best use of his play.

Switch to 5-3-2 is it doesn't generate results.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #3255
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

A 3-4-3 isn't designed for the RCB and LCB to be very offensive though. Leaves you too exposed at the back.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #3256
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree to disagree then. I find wing-backs like Davies are absolutely useful as LCB or RCB in a 3-4-3 for their type of game. He'd be playing LCB but his stamina allows him to play a more offensive-oriented game. He's also quick enough to get back, where the LWB can step behind on an overlap run.

Davies excels as a fullback, but utilizing his speed and strength to push up and switch as needed is making the best use of his play.

Is there an example of a player like Davies playing CB in a back three? I’m not saying it’s never happened, but I’ve never seen it. I’m far from an expert on this topic though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #3257
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Firstly, you mention a LWB. That position doesn't exist in a 3-4-3. Depending on whether a diamond, or flat-4 is used, you have either Central Midfielders, or simply left or right midfielders (wingers).

More so, show me an example of a 3-4-3, where either the LCB or RCB advances in attack regularly, like a WB or even RB/LB would. You cite, two of the greatest WB/FB's in history, surely you'd be able to show me either of those two in attack, with they start as one of the three in the back.

You won't. Cuz you won't find any. Simply put, you're asking too much of the player.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #3258
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is there an example of a player like Davies playing CB in a back three? I’m not saying it’s never happened, but I’ve never seen it. I’m far from an expert on this topic though.
I mean, maybe Kyle Walker? He's pretty utilitarian, in that he can play CB, WB, RB. Walker doesn't have the attack like Davies, but similar speed.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #3259
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
A 3-4-3 isn't designed for the RCB and LCB to be very offensive though. Leaves you too exposed at the back.
Not if your LWB is also a wing-back or at least reliably defensive to swap on a push. If Davies does a swap and has to press back, then he collapses to an LWB for defensive play until Canada gains possession and pushes back up.

Davies is one of the few that can pull that off with his natural abilities. And we should use it.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #3260
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^Also asking too much of the CB.