Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #3221
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd be a bit wary of stats when looking at backup who could possibly turn into number ones, because of the lower sample size and possible lower quality of opposition. Some backups with lesser stats have turned into quality starters and some who looked great and had nice stats did not.
This is also slightly true for goalies that are starters, but haven't carried a heavy workload. Examples of this would be Reimer and Andersen.

In 6 full seasons in the NHL, Reimer has never played more than 37 games. Since he's somewhat of a veteran goaltender overall, I think we'd be fairly sure what we're getting with him. Unlike former LA, NY, and Boston goalies, Reimer has played behind bad defenses.

In 3 full seasons, Andersen has played over 50 games once. However, this was his worst season statistically. He has also played behind a strong defense. He's also younger with more possible upside.

We should evaluate all goaltenders on the same criteria, rather than just evaluating backups on their team quality and historic starts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #3222
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The Stars' pick being upgraded to a 1st could give the Flames' the exact type of extra ammo they need to upgrade goaltending, with something more than a stop-gap. Come on Dallas!
is the difference between 27 and 35 really that great where it gives up the ammo? You would think 35 plus something small would make up any difference.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #3223
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
is the difference between 27 and 35 really that great where it gives up the ammo? You would think 35 plus something small would make up any difference.
What if you trade 27 and 35 to get a goalie. Adding a late first is going to be a much better asset than the late second we get if the Blues win.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #3224
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What if you trade 27 and 35 to get a goalie. Adding a late first is going to be a much better asset than the late second we get if the Blues win.
I hope to god we wouldn't be giving up 27 + 35 for a goalie, none of the ones rumored to be available are worth that cost IMO. Obviously it is in our best interest to have Dallas win, but I think 35+ either the FLA, DAL 2nd or a prospect could get it done without us needing the Dallas 1st.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:24 AM   #3225
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope to god we wouldn't be giving up 27 + 35 for a goalie, none of the ones rumored to be available are worth that cost IMO.
Are any of the goaltenders rumored to be available any better than what is available in free agency? If you can get Reimer in free agency for less than $5M, which is highly likely considering the state of goaltending around the league, you have saved yourself at least one quality asset and only spent money to address the need.

I suspect we'll have an announcement on expansion prior to the draft, which may shake some players loose. But I would still wait until after July 1st to make a deal for a goaltender. At that point the market will be much cleared and we'll know just how much of a buyer's market it is going to be and who is likely to make goaltending assets available long term.

I still think the best duo available for the Flames based off of the pool available is Reimer/Raanta. If the Flames have a chub to make a deal for a goaltender then I think the duo is Reimer/Keumper. I don't see a ton of difference in possible performance between the two duos, so I would be satisfied with either. The acquisition cost of the former duo is only dollars, and should come in less than $6M. The acquisition cost of the later is likely to set the team back a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or possibly a prospect in our system. I guess it all boils down to the confidence level the team has in Gillies and MacDonald and the schedule the team has for their arrival to the NHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #3226
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like nhl and nhlpa have agreed to expansion terms. Just saw it on twitter. With that established hopefully the nhl makes it known if expansion will happen so we can open up the goalie buffet.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #3227
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is, expansion draft won't happen until next off season, so many of the teams with solid tandems won't have incentive to trade one of their goalies this off season.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #3228
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Thing is, expansion draft won't happen until next off season, so many of the teams with solid tandems won't have incentive to trade one of their goalies this off season.
I think the key thing is that there will be a lot more sellers than buyers. Teams may want to try to get value so they aren't left without a chair when the music stops.

The list is pretty short with teams that don't have a goalie worth protecting. I guess it is premature until the rules are released.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #3229
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if you see any long term strategy at play too.

What if you are a team with two good goalies and you have more then 3 d-men or 7 - forwards that you like?

Could you keep a goalie unprotected in hopes that the expansion team takes him - thus protecting all your position players.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #3230
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Although the supply/demand ratio will change, the Flames could still target a goalie after the expansion draft. If I recall correctly, the last expansion teams picked 4 or 5 goalies each. They might be bait to trade for other positions of need.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #3231
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope to god we wouldn't be giving up 27 + 35 for a goalie, none of the ones rumored to be available are worth that cost IMO. Obviously it is in our best interest to have Dallas win, but I think 35+ either the FLA, DAL 2nd or a prospect could get it done without us needing the Dallas 1st.
What if the flames trade 27 and 35 for a goalie and a top 6 winger?

It is very beneficial to the Flames to have the late first to go with their early second to either add to the prospect cupboard or help add the positions that we are lacking.

I feel the Flames can dangle 2 of their draft picks this summer for help now and in the future. I fee it is important they draft a prospect with one of their seconds, obviously their first is untouchable (unless moving up or down) and they will have either 2 seconds or a 1st and 2nd they can dangle to help fill the large holes in net and up front
Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #3232
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
Alexander Radulov confirms he will play in the #NHL next season
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #3233
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is very beneficial to the Flames to have the late first to go with their early second to either add to the prospect cupboard or help add the positions that we are lacking.

I feel the Flames can dangle 2 of their draft picks this summer for help now and in the future. I fee it is important they draft a prospect with one of their seconds, obviously their first is untouchable (unless moving up or down) and they will have either 2 seconds or a 1st and 2nd they can dangle to help fill the large holes in net and up front
I would love if we could somehow get Kevin Hayes and a goalie out of those extra picks we grabbed at deadline.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #3234
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which was covered by me saying it is obviously in the Flames best interest to have Dallas advance, you're just looking to argue now.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #3235
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a way we could get Bobby Ryan out of Ottawa? He hasn't played up to his contract and would be nice to nab with 1m retained.

Bobby Ryan(1m retained) for

Dal 1st
Emile Porier
Dennis Wideman
Old 04-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #3236
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Is there a way we could get Bobby Ryan out of Ottawa? He hasn't played up to his contract and would be nice to nab with 1m retained.

Bobby Ryan(1m retained) for

Dal 1st
Emile Porier
Dennis Wideman
Decent player but thats an expensive long-term contract. Can't have it with Gaudreau/Monahan and then potentially Bennett having big contracts too.

Doesn't help Ottawa. If only they want to get rid of the contract then they might look at something like this.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #3237
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that is a lot to give up.

However, if it means a better, more suitable player, I would consider it.

With a bit more light shed on the expansion draft, Pittsburgh has a dilemma. If I were them, I would want to protect Murray before MAF.

However, for the right price, I would be willing to go the other way. Would you rather have Murray, or MAF plus a couple picks?

Again for the right price, I might be more inclined to move Murray.

What about on the Flames' side? #27 and #35 is a lot to give up. However, I look at it as 2 of Poirier, Shinkaruk and Klimchuk (because that is about the kind of player you're looking at for those picks).

If the Flames could walk out of the draft with a top 6 pick, Murray, and the later round picks, I would consider that a massive win for the team.

Adding a young stud (such as, but not necessarily Murray - maybe it's another, similar player) would really solidify the Flames in net:

Murray
Ortio
Gillies
McDonald
Schneider

Yes, lacking in experience, but I am not worried about this next season anyway. I am more concerned with long term.

If the Flames add a top 6 forward (first pick) and a solid, ready to start, goalie out of the draft, that is a huge win IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #3238
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flsmes can trade for Murray (Ortio, McDonald, 2nd) and then sign Reimer to a 2 year deal. Flames then roll with a tandem of Murray and Reimer with Gillies getting top time in the AHL and in a few years decide between Murray and Gillies
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #3239
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope the Flsmes can trade for Murray (Ortio, McDonald, 2nd) and then sign Reimer to a 2 year deal. Flames then roll with a tandem of Murray and Reimer with Gillies getting top time in the AHL and in a few years decide between Murray and Gillies
I like that idea as well. But I can't see Pitt being interested in Ortio in return, because they would have to expose him too.

If they were willing to move Murray, and they wanted a young goalie in return, I would think they would demand McDonald so that they wouldn't have to protect him.

And I think it would take more than McDonald + 2nd, but that would be nice.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #3240
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I like that idea as well. But I can't see Pitt being interested in Ortio in return, because they would have to expose him too.

If they were willing to move Murray, and they wanted a young goalie in return, I would think they would demand McDonald so that they wouldn't have to protect him.

And I think it would take more than McDonald + 2nd, but that would be nice.
Why would the Pens trade Murray? I thought they considered him their next franchise goalie?
Closed Thread