Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #3221
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yep, that one's pretty bad. I think there are actually worse ones re: homophobia, if you go further back. That being said, I don't even necessarily disagree with this one:

“providing for the poor is a provincial, not a federal responsibility.”

I'd at least be interested in a discussion on who's best suited to take on that responsibility.

Anyway, he is right that after a 20+ year political career, those being the worst quotes you can find suggests he hasn't been much of a gaffe maker. That being said, the gaffes tell you nothing about the way a party will run the country in 2015, it's just more nonsense and distraction. Same applies to Trudeau's "Quebecois > Albertans" stuff. Focus on the platforms.
I disagree

I think Harper's comments are more easily dismissed because he's had the ability to act upon those comments for several years and not done so.

Trudeau has never had the opportunity to enact legislation consistent with his comments. The jury HAS to still be out on that. Some will be convinced by his apology, some will not.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #3222
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I disagree

I think Harper's comments are more easily dismissed because he's had the ability to act upon those comments for several years and not done so.

Trudeau has never had the opportunity to enact legislation consistent with his comments. The jury HAS to still be out on that. Some will be convinced by his apology, some will not.
I don't think a comment like the one I quoted can be dismissed at all. With some of the riding re-works it actually tries to give him an advantage over what he spoke about. For instance: Combining the Mount Seymour area with Burnaby. They took a riding that was notoriously white and affluent in Seymour, that has been a right-of-center stronghold for more than 20 years (the only non-conservative/reform MP since 1988 was former Mayor, and Liberal, Don Bell who was center-right) and merged it with a riding that had been orange since creation. While not a Liberal riding, it does have some of the characteristics that Harper described. Truth is these two places have next to nothing in common. In fact you can't even visit both sides of the riding without driving through two or three other ridings. It makes no sense.

A lot of this sort of "gerrymandering" is being attributed to the removal of the long form census, which was done by Harper.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #3223
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhinoceros party platform for those who may have missed it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle25995001/

Highlights:

Nationalize Tim Hortons
Privatize the military
Move capital closer to geographic center of Canada.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #3224
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Interesting, I wasn't aware the NDP gets 103 seats locked in before the election and just needs 35 more. The more desperate Mulcair looks, the more it drives his voters to the Liberals.

Of course the funniest thing about this advert is that Kirk Huesur, according to polling data, is a distant third behind Matt Grant and Len Webber. So voting Kirk Huseur actually does the opposite of what the flyer is saying.

Who ever approved of this national strategy for the NDP needs a head shake. This just seems desperate.
The Following User Says Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #3225
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Votes at advanced polls today. Place was packed on three of the four polling stations there. Almost 40 minute line up. One line had like no one at all and only one or two people trickling in every few minutes. Weird
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #3226
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Votes at advanced polls today. Place was packed on three of the four polling stations there. Almost 40 minute line up. One line had like no one at all and only one or two people trickling in every few minutes. Weird

That was probably the 'M' line. The Mc's and Mac's. Damn Scots. They ruined Scotland.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #3227
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Interesting, I wasn't aware the NDP gets 103 seats locked in before the election and just needs 35 more. The more desperate Mulcair looks, the more it drives his voters to the Liberals.
Yes, he's been pushing that "only 35 more" line pretty hard lately. Not that I blame him... his campaign has no momentum and he's down in the polls, it's just about the only argument he has left (and it's a half-arsed argument).
Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #3228
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before everybody goes running off in a state of Trudeaumania maybe we should look at some of the policies that differ the Liberals from the NDP such as this.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #3229
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^I'm actually a little worried about TPP, to be honest, but it's more a bigger picture concern with the overall increasing freedom and power of TNCs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #3230
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
^^I'm actually a little worried about TPP, to be honest, but it's more a bigger picture concern with the overall increasing freedom and power of TNCs.
Yeah, it could compromise our democracy even more than NAFTA.

Quote:
Countries would be obliged to conform all their domestic laws and regulations to the TPP’s rules—in effect, a corporate coup d’état. The proposed pact would limit even how governments can spend their tax dollars.
https://www.globalpolicy.org/empire/...itemid=id#1052
Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #3231
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'm all for TPP, but then again I have only heard of it's perspective from over here in Japan. TPP is for the most part well received here and looked forward to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrambler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 04:41 AM   #3232
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Before everybody goes running off in a state of Trudeaumania maybe we should look at some of the policies that differ the Liberals from the NDP such as this.

Also, hasn't Trudeau gone on the record to say that the Libs are 'pro-trade', IE: they will accept TPP? Not sure I agree with the video that 'Trudeau is not saying anything until after the election"
Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #3233
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TPP should be getting much more attention in this election than it is.

The TPP is really about economic containment of China and American economic influence in the Pacific. I don't even think it's a good deal for Americans, but their government is motivated by increasing their soft power in the region and setting terms to constrain Chinese economic influence. Canada is going along in order to get along rather than taking a shrewd position based on best interest of Canadians.

I believe the points made in that video are fair. Canadians will be put in competition with workers who earn much lower wages. On the other side, the global market that Canada currently has access to is more than large enough to accommodate Canadian products and is a growing market anyways, so there is no significant benefit to Canadian producers in opening larger markets.

The greatest beneficiaries of the TPP are likely to be the multinational corporations who will be able to take most advantage of the open markets for labor as well as for their products. Unfortunately, the increased success of those companies isn't going to mean increased success for Canadians. America and other countries concerned about containment of China will be the second largest beneficiaries, though again this seems like no great advantage to Canadians.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #3234
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ed Fast said he would release a provisional copy of the agreement within a few days. Hopefully it is a good deal for Canada.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #3235
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
Also, hasn't Trudeau gone on the record to say that the Libs are 'pro-trade', IE: they will accept TPP? Not sure I agree with the video that 'Trudeau is not saying anything until after the election"
Also, the text of the agreement hasn't even been released. So it is a bit hard for Trudeau to have a position on something that he hasn't actually read.

That being said, some of the leaks that are coming out do have me worried. I think that blindly accepting an agreement like this could become a major problem for Trudeau (if he takes power, of course) once the details are made public. There are a lot of information, privacy, and sovereignty concerns rolled up into this - much more than milk and cars.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #3236
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Also, the text of the agreement hasn't even been released. So it is a bit hard for Trudeau to have a position on something that he hasn't actually read.

That being said, some of the leaks that are coming out do have me worried. I think that blindly accepting an agreement like this could become a major problem for Trudeau (if he takes power, of course) once the details are made public. There are a lot of information, privacy, and sovereignty concerns rolled up into this - much more than milk and cars.
If its a two horse race like it appears and they both are accepting it I can't really see it having much of an impact. If he came out against it, then it could become a bigger issue.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #3237
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Trudeau is still waiting for his people to tell him what he really thinks of the agreement.

My opinion obviously, but he is the epitome of a 'style over substance' candidate. An actor reciting the lines given to him.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #3238
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just out of curiosity would people prefer that the rest of the countries go ahead with the TPP and Canada just sit this one out? I obviously don't know everything about the agreement, but that does seem like a foolish position to take.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #3239
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

About 45 minutes to vote last night in Calgary - Signal Hill. Our station had the second longest queue. The longest one looked as though the people would be there 90 minutes or longer, by how slow it was moving. Happy it's done now.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #3240
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Trudeau is still waiting for his people to tell him what he really thinks of the agreement.

My opinion obviously, but he is the epitome of a 'style over substance' candidate. An actor reciting the lines given to him.
Even if that were true, then so be it. Trudeau and his "puppet masters" are still a better option than Harper or Muclair

And looking at it more realistically, with Trudeau actually receiving good advise from his team and acting on it, isn't that better than the Harper regime where it was his way or nothing?
Closed Thread