Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #3201
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today's WestJet's Blue Tag is '40% off' flights to Florida.

It's resulting in some pretty decent prices for their non-stop flights. Orlando can be had for $380 roundtrip after taxes. September 28 to October 05 for example.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...blue-tag.shtml

The code expires at 6PM tonight.

Air Canada has matched: http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...l#.Uh-_eUc3HX9

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 08-29-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Air Canada has matched
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #3202
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

YYC Deals Alert: Calgary to Saudi Arabia - $771 roundtrip after taxes

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-s...ip-after-taxes

Thanks to a new route on Saudi Airlines from Toronto to Jeddah (JED), Calgary is currently experiencing some crazy price drops to Saudi Arabia via a connection through YYZ. The flights are over 40% cheaper than they've ever been before.

The cheap flights from Calgary to Saudi Arabia look to be available between November 2013 and March 2014, on a fairly large variety of date combinations within those months.

Google Flights Explorer is also showing some major price drops between Calgary and other destinations in the Middle East and India, related to this fare drop between Toronto and Jeddah.

Destinations such as Dubai, Bahrain, Lebanon, and Jordan in the Middle East, and Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, and Hyderabad in India.

Google Flights Explorer is showing these destinations as available for $800 to $900 roundtrip after taxes.

However, so far, I have yet to see these prices as verifying or being bookable. If anyone does find that they are bookable anywhere, please let me know.

UPDATE: It looks like you might be able to click through from Google Flights Explorer to Flight Network to make a booking to *some* of these other destinations. After selecting your flight with Google Flights Explorer, click on the Book button at the bottom left and choose Flight Network.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 09-03-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #3203
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Icelandair announces new flights from Vancouver and Edmonton - and some pretty crazy prices ($564 roundtrip after taxes from YEG, $683 from YVR)

http://yegdeals.com/edmonton-to-icel...ome-icelandair

http://yvrdeals.com/vancouver-to-iceland-683-roundtrip-after-taxes-and-welcome-icelandair

Wish they would have added Calgary as well! Maybe after the YYC expansion is complete.

Here's what they had to say about choosing Edmonton:

Quote:
The Edmonton economy is strong with the 1.2 million inhabitants enjoying the rich natural resources of the area and creating a vibrant science- and academic community.

"We think we can offer very competitive service between Europe and Edmonton and are aiming for a full year service to the city“, says Birkir. Edmonton and Alberta have a sizable Scandinavian population and large numbers of people of Icelandic descent as well.

In addition Edmonton has the largest shopping mall in North America."

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #3204
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
YYC Deals Alert: Calgary to Saudi Arabia - $771 roundtrip after taxes

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-s...ip-after-taxes

Thanks to a new route on Saudi Airlines from Toronto to Jeddah (JED), Calgary is currently experiencing some crazy price drops to Saudi Arabia via a connection through YYZ. The flights are over 40% cheaper than they've ever been before.

The cheap flights from Calgary to Saudi Arabia look to be available between November 2013 and March 2014, on a fairly large variety of date combinations within those months.

Google Flights Explorer is also showing some major price drops between Calgary and other destinations in the Middle East and India, related to this fare drop between Toronto and Jeddah.

Destinations such as Dubai, Bahrain, Lebanon, and Jordan in the Middle East, and Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai, and Hyderabad in India.

Google Flights Explorer is showing these destinations as available for $800 to $900 roundtrip after taxes.

However, so far, I have yet to see these prices as verifying or being bookable. If anyone does find that they are bookable anywhere, please let me know.
People... you all need to book flights and go to the above two places. Seriously, they're awesome!
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #3205
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, some great options the last little while. Time to start planning.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3206
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any Iceland input? Would a week be enough to get a little reasonable taste of the place? Was always known as a pretty expensive place. Is that still the case after 08?
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #3207
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any tips on deals for flights from Calgary to Punta Cana Dec 15-22? I know it's the busy season so I'm not expecting much but anything on price would be helpful. Also, is there a reason why the flights leave at such odd times or else have really long layovers? All the flights I have seen so far fall into these categories.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #3208
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Will be busy tomorrow and might not have time to write up a blog post about it, but flights from YYC/YEG to Shanghai on Air Canada have dropped even further from their already record lows! They're now down to $694 roundtrip after taxes.

example:
http://www.kayak.com/flights/#/YYC-P...12-11-flexible

Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #3209
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone has any helpful travel advice/tips for Spain.

I am flying into Barcelona, I am there for 10 days in the middle of October and just wondering if anyone has any tips on where else in Spain to go (will probably spend 2-3 days in Barcelona), hotel/rental/hostel ideas, tips on food - thanks.

Initial thought was spend 3 days in Barca, fly to Mallorca for 3 days then 4 days somewhere else. Has anyone been to Mallorca, is it worth it?

Thanks
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #3210
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Anybody fly from Calgary to Munich Germany before.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #3211
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Anybody fly from Calgary to Munich Germany before.
Yes, last October. Questions?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #3212
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

So I am looking for an affordable winter vacation to take with the GF - the only problem - she is a teacher, which basically restricts the flying time from Dec 21 - Jan 4.

Any suggestions?

I don't think I've found a single destination that hasn't doubled or tripled its normal prices during that time frame.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #3213
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

This might be a bit random, but I am trying to get some info on Iraqi Airways. Their website doesn't seem to work and their flights don't seem to show up on any travel websites. I am looking for options between Amman and Erbil which Iraqi flies on a daily basis.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #3214
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
So I am looking for an affordable winter vacation to take with the GF - the only problem - she is a teacher, which basically restricts the flying time from Dec 21 - Jan 4.

Any suggestions?

I don't think I've found a single destination that hasn't doubled or tripled its normal prices during that time frame.
You and me both. We went a couple years ago to Cuba, left on December 28th I believe. It ended up being around $1400 but I forget when we booked. This year, the plan is to pick a set of dates that work for us, and then wait until the last week or so to book something to try and score a deal.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #3215
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post

Any suggestions?

December 21st to January 4th are two of the busiest days for sun travel in Canada, so I would say the biggest thing is to adjust the dates.

I am just guessing, but Vegas (before New Years) may be one option though, as it is not typically seen as a prime Christmas getaway...
Claeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #3216
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm heading to South Africa in a couple of months - doing the usual touristy Cape Town, Garden Route and Kruger.

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips for things to do in Cape Town or along the Garden Route that might not be that well known. Or for the stuff that is pretty common to do, what did you like the most?

Thanks!
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #3217
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just booked a flight to Prague for November. I am heading to Krakow for a week but I'll have a day and a half to kill in Prague. I am thinking of visiting the bone chapel in Kutna Hora. Any other suggestions? Any must sees in Krakow aside from Auschwitz?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #3218
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Looking for a recommendation here.

I am booking a honeymoon in January (dates are flexible), looking to spend around $8k for 10 days, all inclusive. Only catch is we will have a 5 month old baby, so the destination would have to be relatively close (within 4 hours per leg). Possibly YYC-YYZ, overnight, then somewhere else, and also have some kind of child care.

Looked at Turks and Caicos, but F me is it ever pricey for a mid level room. I'll spend the money if I have to, but I would think that for a 10 day hotel stay in T&C you could get something as good or better in Mexico or maybe Jamaica.

Anyone have a recommendation on resort? something along the lines of "best resort I've EVER been to"? I'm hoping a 1%er on here has something to say.....
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #3219
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Looking for a recommendation here.

I am booking a honeymoon in January (dates are flexible), looking to spend around $8k for 10 days, all inclusive. Only catch is we will have a 5 month old baby, so the destination would have to be relatively close (within 4 hours per leg). Possibly YYC-YYZ, overnight, then somewhere else, and also have some kind of child care.

Looked at Turks and Caicos, but F me is it ever pricey for a mid level room. I'll spend the money if I have to, but I would think that for a 10 day hotel stay in T&C you could get something as good or better in Mexico or maybe Jamaica.

Anyone have a recommendation on resort? something along the lines of "best resort I've EVER been to"? I'm hoping a 1%er on here has something to say.....
Stay at the Atlantis in the Bahammas - it's beautiful there and they cater to families.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #3220
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Anyone know anything about this hotel in Cancun?

http://www.belovedhotels.com/
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote