Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #3181
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
When does the KLM voting end and the 48 hr purchase window start?
Should be any time now. Unlike last time where they had a Facebook poll, this time they asked people to 'comment' manually on their FB post, so maybe they'll have to get the KLM summer intern to add up all the votes! Looking like it's likely going to be Moscow though.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #3182
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Las Vegas | $273 roundtrip after taxes | nonstop flights!

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-las-v...onstop-flights

I'm struggling to think of the last time flights from Calgary to Las Vegas were this cheap, particularly non-stop flights!

The flights are being sold on a codeshare by Delta, but the flights are actually operated by WestJet. It looks to have affected Tue-Fri, Wed-Sat, Sat-Tue, Sun-Wed date combinations between now and mid January 2014.

The easiest way to see what's available is to do this...

1. Go to Google Flights Explorer

2. Search for flights to Las Vegas. Under 'Stops' change the pulldown to 'Nonstop'

3. Click through to Delta to verify the price and book.

Just to stress the point, Delta does not have nonstop flights between Calgary and Las Vegas. You can book the flights through Delta, but you'll actually be on a WestJet flight.

For comparison, booking the exact same flights through WestJet will cost you 40% more. Why? Who knows, it's just one of the odd things that happens with code-shared flights sometimes.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #3183
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lisbon is the winner: http://bit.ly/1352mAn
Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #3184
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn, was really hoping for Russia. With that said, anyone who hasn't been to Lisbon/Portugal should really hit this deal up, its an awesome city, one of my favourites in all of Europe.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #3185
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
Darn, was really hoping for Russia. With that said, anyone who hasn't been to Lisbon/Portugal should really hit this deal up, its an awesome city, one of my favourites in all of Europe.
Any reasons in particular that you can share? I'm tempted, but mostly because I want to visit Madeira or the Azores islands, which are really cheap to get to from Lisbon. Trying to decide how much time to spend in Lisbon itself.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #3186
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
For anyone who has parked long term at the airport, if im looking to park in the P2 lot or economy, do I just grab the ticket from the booth as I usually do and when im leaving pay at the exit. or do I have to fill out a form etc.
Just grab a ticket and pay on the way out. Don't need to fill out anything.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #3187
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

UPDATE: British Airways is now undercutting all other airlines on this price drop. Their flights to Lisbon are down to $804 roundtrip, but it's also causing certain flights to drop as low as $790 roundtrip when a combination of airlines are used.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #3188
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Any reasons in particular that you can share? I'm tempted, but mostly because I want to visit Madeira or the Azores islands, which are really cheap to get to from Lisbon. Trying to decide how much time to spend in Lisbon itself.
The city of Lisbon has a little bit of something for everybody. Some great history to start with, the Castle of Sao Jorge is amazing and definitely a can't miss, the pictures of the city/ocean you can take while up at the Castle are more then worth the price of admission themselves. The Belem tower, the Cathedral, Monastery and the Palace are all pretty awesome as well to view and photograph.

The Bairro Alto district was maybe my favourite part of Lisbon. During the day is appears to be nothing more then 10-20 blocks of small, deserted cobblestone streets with metal shutters covering shabby looking storefronts. But every night (more so on the weekends of course) all of these storefronts open up and everyone is a small (some not so small) bar/pub. Almost every place has live music playing and you can really hear everything from Beatles covers to traditional Portuguese music, to hip hop to Jazz...the list goes on. Not only that, but the bars give you your drinks in plastic cups and people fill the streets going from bar to bar, randomly chatting with each other...it is a great atmosphere.

I visited the Lisbon Oceanarium while there and found that to be pretty amazing and would recommend visiting it if you're at all interesting in that sort of thing. It was built (IIRC) for a World's Fair back in the late 90's and is very impressive, as is the boardwalk area they built around it. There are also some great beaches around the city (apparently, I went during the winter so obviously didn't visit any), some really impressive (and underrated IMO) museums and there is a ton of great local food at very reasonable prices for Western Europe. Transit system is awesome and fairly modern also, which is nice if you travel on the cheap like I do and try to avoid cabs whenever possible!

The ultimate highlight for me though may have been the people I met. The locals are amazingly friendly and always wanting to engage you in conversation, they also (for whatever reason) spoke really great english almost everywhere, which was a nice bonus. Maybe I'll make another post later about the other areas in Portugal I've seen, but IMO Lisbon is the best the country has to offer.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov

Last edited by kipperfan; 07-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #3189
Fueled By Fire
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this....

I am looking to take advantage of the Lisbon deal and fly sometime in May 2014, but I my passport expires in December 2013.

Since I won't be able to renew my passport before the deal expires tomorrow, can I enter my old passport information and update my passport information once I receive my new passport? Or do I even need to do this? Maybe will it be okay to just set off with my new passport?
Fueled By Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #3190
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueled By Fire View Post
I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this....

I am looking to take advantage of the Lisbon deal and fly sometime in May 2014, but I my passport expires in December 2013.

Since I won't be able to renew my passport before the deal expires tomorrow, can I enter my old passport information and update my passport information once I receive my new passport? Or do I even need to do this? Maybe will it be okay to just set off with my new passport?
We just booked the Lisbon trip and didn't have to put in any passport information, so you should be good. Ours will not have expired by the time we go, but we'll have to renew before to have them good for 6 months after the trip. We're going for 3 weeks, end of April to Victoria day, with a stopover in Amsterdam. Should be fun!
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #3191
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
UPDATE: British Airways is now undercutting all other airlines on this price drop. Their flights to Lisbon are down to $804 roundtrip, but it's also causing certain flights to drop as low as $790 roundtrip when a combination of airlines are used.
Nice. Was able to get the Lisbon for $805 deal with BA.

I hope this becomes an annual tradition for KLM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #3192
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe someone can answer this question for me. My girlfriend and I have to travel to a wedding in Winnipeg next month. I will be leaving from Saskatoon, she will be leaving from Calgary. I was hoping to use Avion points to cover this. Cost from Saskatoon is 15,000 points, cost from Calgary is 35,000 points. The thing is, all flights from Saskatoon end up going through Calgary. Basically YXE-YYC-YWG. I would like to book her on the Saskatoon flight but have her get on in Calgary, saving myself 20,000 Avion points. Does anyone know if this possible? I imagine the airline (wj) wouldn't be thrilled, but can they or will they stop it?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #3193
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Maybe someone can answer this question for me. My girlfriend and I have to travel to a wedding in Winnipeg next month. I will be leaving from Saskatoon, she will be leaving from Calgary. I was hoping to use Avion points to cover this. Cost from Saskatoon is 15,000 points, cost from Calgary is 35,000 points. The thing is, all flights from Saskatoon end up going through Calgary. Basically YXE-YYC-YWG. I would like to book her on the Saskatoon flight but have her get on in Calgary, saving myself 20,000 Avion points. Does anyone know if this possible? I imagine the airline (wj) wouldn't be thrilled, but can they or will they stop it?
If you miss a segment on a ticket the rest of the itinerary will be invalid. Won't work.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #3194
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

How do I find out all the direct flights from Calgary with schedules. Like for instance I might want to go to Nassau but only if direct. Can I find out if there are any direct flights from say September to March, and get a listing with prices?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #3195
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
How do I find out all the direct flights from Calgary with schedules. Like for instance I might want to go to Nassau but only if direct. Can I find out if there are any direct flights from say September to March, and get a listing with prices?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgar...d_destinations

^ This is mostly accurate for routes.

You can do something like this:

https://www.google.ca/flights/explor...0;d=2013-07-31

You can change United States to the Carribean, Asia, Europe, etc
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #3196
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to China - $790 roundtrip after taxes | up to March 2014

Perhaps Air Canada is finally trying to compete with the low cost Asian carriers out of Vancouver?

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-c...-to-march-2014

Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #3197
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well that's unfortunate. Just paid 890 for that same flight, though its still quite the deal.

Tried phoning Air Canada and they would not compensate for the difference (I asked to change the flight for the 50 dollar fee, still wouldn't do it).
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #3198
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Belgrade, Serbia | $799 roundtrip after taxes

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-b...ip-after-taxes

There are some unusually cheap airfares from Calgary to Belgrade, Serbia (BEG) using a combination of KLM and Jat airways between October 2013 and mid May 2014.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #3199
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Off topic, needless

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 08-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #3200
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just booked a trip to Greece for 2 weeks. I leave on Sunday and it is sort of a spur of the moment thing.

The seats just opened on an Air Transat flight for $1,250 and it's a direct flight (9 hours). It's rare to find a deal that good when it's a direct flight.

I think they still have some seats left (from Toronto).

http://reservation.airtransat.ca/en/...ectFlight.aspx

Edit:

Thanks to the moderator who put this in this right thread.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-29-2013 at 02:14 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote