Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #3181
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't see the Penguins trading Matt Murray after what he's done in Round 1 unless it's for a substantial asset. MAF is more likely to go but he has another 3 years at $5.75M. I could see a buyout after next season if Murray is the uncontested #1.

The Flames are in the driver's seat when it comes to obtaining a goalie for next year. There are enough UFA's (Enroth, Reimer, Ward, Raanta) to fill-in while Gilles and MacD prove themselves in the AHL.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #3182
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

If MAF gets bought out, Flames should be the very next meeting he has after he gets his papers from the Pens.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #3183
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The West has much more crease crashing than the East. The main point is, why take the risk with the amount goalies available?

Preference and the impending expansion would be my two biggest reasons personally. I think Fleury is a better option than most if not all goalies rumored to be available.

With expansion, if Pittsburgh is forced to protect Murray then Fleury could be had for relatively cheap. Like I said, I would prefer Murray though. I would even go 2017 first +
Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #3184
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I can't see the Flames being interested in a guy who hasn't proven himself a starter. Murray is proving that now but its tough to say how Pittsburgh handles that. Guys like Anderson & Elliott, once thought to be expendable are taking their nets back. Does that make Gibson or Allen available? Going to be a very interesting draft weekend up to July 1st.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #3185
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I can't see the Penguins trading Matt Murray after what he's done in Round 1 unless it's for a substantial asset. MAF is more likely to go but he has another 3 years at $5.75M. I could see a buyout after next season if Murray is the uncontested #1.

The Flames are in the driver's seat when it comes to obtaining a goalie for next year. There are enough UFA's (Enroth, Reimer, Ward, Raanta) to fill-in while Gilles and MacD prove themselves in the AHL.
Why are the Pens buying out Fleury again? That's far from an immovable contract.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #3186
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I can't see the Flames being interested in a guy who hasn't proven himself a starter. Murray is proving that now but its tough to say how Pittsburgh handles that. Guys like Anderson & Elliott, once thought to be expendable are taking their nets back. Does that make Gibson or Allen available? Going to be a very interesting draft weekend up to July 1st.

Not a bad point. If Anderson/Elliot go on cup runs maybe their younger counterparts get moved
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #3187
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do the Pens just take their chance at the expansion and expose Fluery? They have to hit the 25% cap exposure somehow and his contract allows them to do that a little more easily. I mean, if Murray has a good year as backup next season, it could lessen the impact of losing Fleury as he might be ready and capable of stepping in?

At the very least, I think the Pens will wait until next seasons trade deadline before moving Fluery. Murray is the back up, has a solid season and then they can move Fluery safe in the knowledge Murray can take over?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #3188
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How can you say 16 NHL games is proving one is a starter?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #3189
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would welcome MAF with open arms. His contract is palatable and he can still go. Much better option than Ward at an equivalent age.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #3190
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
How can you say 16 NHL games is proving one is a starter?
Sorry do you mean Murray? I said he's proving that now. Inferring he isn't a starter yet.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #3191
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Would welcome MAF with open arms. His contract is palatable and he can still go. Much better option than Ward at an equivalent age.
Same. He's had stints in his career where you could even consider him among the elite goalies in the league. He just has a bit of a consistency problem. I'm not sure you can reasonably get anyone a whole lot better. If we jump into the next tier of goalies we're talking guys who are borderline, if not completely, untouchable.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #3192
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
MAF was until his midseason injury the Pens' MVP this year. I don't mind him at all. The cost has to make sense though, as he's on the wrong side of 30.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #3193
Toonage

Exp:

If they re-signed Joni and trade for MAF we'd have a tandem of Ortio-Fleury. In a few years if we had to go through the 3 goalie issue again its possible we'd have McDonald-Ortio-Fleury.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #3194
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If they re-signed Joni and trade for MAF we'd have a tandem of Ortio-Fleury. In a few years if we had to go through the 3 goalie issue again its possible we'd have McDonald-Ortio-Fleury.

Personally, this is my preference - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=9356
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #3195
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't care how old MAF is. I'd love him on the Flames. He's an All-Star goaltender playing for a team with an animal in its name with a mostly gold-based colour scheme playing for a team that's won the cup in the last decade, AND he'd only be 31 when he got here!

Wait...

Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #3196
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would much rather try and get Varlamov than MAF... The Avs have Pickard as their Murray so they are pretty much in the same boat.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #3197
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Varlamov seems like he would cost a lot more than Fleury.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #3198
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Would Pittsburgh have a use for Wideman for a year?

MAF for Wideman and a 2nd? Gives the Pens a small bit of cap next year, but over $5m for two more years.

Fleury is still young enough to contribute to this team over the next 3 years and has proven he can win.

Maybe a deal of MAF for Wideman, mid-level prospect, 2nd?

I could see a deal there. Especially if Murray steals the show against the Caps.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #3199
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In your opinion, who is the goalie(that is available), that can take us to the playoffs and carry us deep into the playoffs?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #3200
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
In your opinion, who is the goalie(that is available), that can take us to the playoffs and carry us deep into the playoffs?
Fleury (if available)
Bishop
Andersson

---

Tweeners who could steal the show

Raanta
Vasilievski
Korpisalo

My knock on Murray is there have been a few guys who have stepped up when coming into the league as the starter in the playoffs..

See: Tokarski, Hammond.
Closed Thread