Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #301
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, last night we did burgers on the BBQ.

I must say those frozen "thick and juicy burgers" from Superstore were disgusting. They had a really nasty texture.
Google 'Pink Slime'

Was this a story in Canada, or just down here?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #302
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Google 'Pink Slime'

I hadn't heard of pink slime until just now.

From the Wikipedia page:
Quote:
Pink slime is not permitted in Canada. In a statement, Health Canada stated that: "Ammonia is not permitted in Canada to be used in ground beef or meats during their production." Such products also may not be imported, as Canadian law requires that imported meat products meet the same standards and requirements as domestic meat.[16][17] Canada does allow Finely Textured Meat to be "used in the preparation of ground meat" and "identified as ground meat" under certain conditions.[18] Pink slime does not meet the legal requirements for sale in the United Kingdom.[19]and been banned in the European Union.[20]
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #303
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Google 'Pink Slime'

Yuck. That almost explains the flavour and texture though. It had a bad vinegary taste and the meat looked like it was pressed together.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #304
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otsy View Post
Stuff the chicken onto the holder and set it on the grill is how I do mine.
Make sure you put a drip pan underneath, beer can chicken will make a mess of your BBQ.
linecook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linecook For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #305
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I hadn't heard of pink slime until just now.

From the Wikipedia page:
glad to hear Canada has higher standards. I grind my own beef; tastes amazing. If you do it, you will never go back to pre-ground meat from the grocer. It has the added advantage that you can have medium rare burgers without risk of food poisoning
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #306
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What's good is getting a whole tenderloin from Costco and cutting your own steaks. Take the left over pieces and grind them up and make tenderloin burgers, damn they are good.
The Following User Says Thank You to linecook For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #307
Otsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linecook View Post
Make sure you put a drip pan underneath, beer can chicken will make a mess of your BBQ.
Yeah, I have a very warped baking sheet I use for stuff like this
Otsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #308
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

One thing I've been doing lately is BBQing a lot of vegtables. I have this flat perforated sheet that's meant for the BBQ and cover it with tinfoil. I spray the tinfoil with cooking spray and then throw a whack full of root vegtables on it. The vegtables I use are carrotts, beets, parsnips, and sweet potatoes. I cook on medium to high heat until one side is caramelized and then flip and cook till the other side is caramelized. They don't need any seasoning at all! They go well with pretty much any BBQ'd meat.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #309
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linecook View Post
Nonsense, I did beer can chicken last night, cajun blackened turkey breast on Wed. steaks on Tuesday, chicken breasts on Monday. Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I cooked inside.

Can't wait for the weekend, I have a turkey breast sitting in a brine waiting to be smoked!
It's quite windy where we live and it's definitely not conducive to grilling.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #310
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
It's quite windy where we live and it's definitely not conducive to grilling.
I don't hink there's anything more fustrating than BBQing in the wind. Everything takes 4 times the normal amount of time. Even in the wind, the Weber should put out some good heat. I have a Napolean (Canadian made one and not the crappy Canadian Tire Chinese made), although a good BBQ, it doesn't seem to put out as much heat as the Weber.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #311
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do you guys do everything by experience, or do you use a meat thermometer?

Any recommendations for a good thermometer? I have a cheap one from Superstore, but it takes a long time to stabilize.

How much fine tuning do you do with the controls after you start grilling? Is it better to just leave it on high or medium high?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #312
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you grilling? I don't use a thermometer for things like burgers, steaks or chicken breasts. I do use it for some things like briskets, roasts and shoulders though. Basically things when its too hard to judge without a thermometer.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #313
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been finding that thicker burgers, steaks, tenderloin are coming out more rare than I would like, even though on the outside they appear fine.

I did a tenderloin and some chicken tonight and used a thermometer. I reckon that if I went by sight and feel alone, I would have taken them off too soon and had the plate of shame with meat and blood oozing out.

Maybe it just takes more experience, but I am also a bit thrown by different conditions - wind blowing, and bbq not getting very hot, or starting with frozen meat cuts. How to compensate for this?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #314
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

For steaks and chicken I go by "feel". The more firm, the more done it is. For steaks if you take your index finger and touch your thumb (like an OK sign), and now touch the meaty base of your thumb with your other hand, thats a rare steak. Do the same with your other fingers and your little finger is well done. If you use that approximation, you'll do well. Chicken is also that way, based on firmness.

For burgers I only flip them once. I could them on one side until juices come out the top. Then flip them and when clear juices come out the top, they're done. You can use a thermometer if you prefer, but that works.

The wind is easy to deal with, close the lid! Remember, if you're lookin, you ain't cookin! Seriously, just close the lid and give it a few minutes. Don't sweat it, just let the fire do its work and check the meat after 3-5 minutes. It shouldn't burn in that time or you have it too high I'd suggest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #315
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have been finding that thicker burgers, steaks, tenderloin are coming out more rare than I would like, even though on the outside they appear fine.

I did a tenderloin and some chicken tonight and used a thermometer. I reckon that if I went by sight and feel alone, I would have taken them off too soon and had the plate of shame with meat and blood oozing out.

Maybe it just takes more experience, but I am also a bit thrown by different conditions - wind blowing, and bbq not getting very hot, or starting with frozen meat cuts. How to compensate for this?
You can't grill frozen meat. Thaw it out.

Timing will come with experience. Thicker cuts will obviously take longer to cook to temp in the centre. A good meat thermometer will be a good tool to figure it out.

Preheat your bbq before grilling anything.

Read and watch, there is a wealth of material out there on grilling.
Like:
http://www.weber.com/grillout/

Oh, and stop buying processed patties that's just gross.

Last edited by Flacker; 05-07-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: mystery meat pointer
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #316
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Probably the temp is too high in addition to using frozen cuts. I haven't read if you posted earlier but is this on a gas bbq? if so, the only remedy I can offer us to use indirect heat and add a bunch of time. Feel is better because you never want to tinker with what you have grilling, wether its flipping it or checking for how charred it is or poking holes with a thermometer.

It won't fix a plate of shame but I'd also rest the steaks in tightly wrapped tin foil for 5-10 min after to let the heat continue to work.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #317
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone seen any good sales on bbq's right now?
I'm no master chef, but need a new grill in the $300-$400 range tops. Any suggestions?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #318
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Anyone seen any good sales on bbq's right now?
I'm no master chef, but need a new grill in the $300-$400 range tops. Any suggestions?
The bbq sub-web on about.com a really good place to research. Here's their page on Q's in your price range:

http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrills/tp/aatp042403.htm

The Monarch 40 is the way to go in my opinion. They have it at bbqsgalore for $320: http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cooking.bpsx?CookingID=2

It has the same built-to-last construction as their more expensive grills, but lacks the bells and whistles. It should last a very long time compared to anything else in this price range.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #319
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone recommend a good charcoal grill

Is this Weber Kettle Grill the way to go?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-751001-2...R/ref=pd_ybh_5
Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #320
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
anyone recommend a good charcoal grill

Is this Weber Kettle Grill the way to go?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-751001-2...R/ref=pd_ybh_5
Those Webers are pretty sweet. If you're interested in a bigger cooking area and side smoke-box the Chargriller is a good one. If you plan on cooking a lot the Broil King Keg is awesome. Its more money than what you're looking at, but IMO totally worth it if you BBQ a lot. Its really efficient and holds a temperature very well. It uses way less charcoal and lets you cook both directly and indirectly.

The Weber is totally a good BBQ though and its a good choice.

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber