Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #301
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it almost my turn? Seeing as the last pick was made at midnight...Still no idea what I'm going to pick, but I don't want to go ahead until someone else gives me the green light.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #302
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Is it almost my turn? Seeing as the last pick was made at midnight...Still no idea what I'm going to pick, but I don't want to go ahead until someone else gives me the green light.
Barnes has 5 minutes before AKing

May as well pick.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #303
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With our third round selection, Team Sequoia is happy to select, in the Reality (ongoing) category, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

Not to be confused with the American version (simply titled, Kitchen Nightmares - which is of the same design, however the UK version is MUCH better IMO), this UK reality series features Chef Gordon Ramsay who helps a failing restaurant turn their business around to become more successful.

From Youtube: (NFW)

I think one of the great things about this version versus the US version is that it's uncensored, so you get the full effect of every single word Ramsay says. I find that he's a little harder on people in this version as well, and people are more likely to talk back, which results in many heated arguments.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #304
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

ARGHHHH my other reality!!! First Hell's Kitchen now this?!......is it obvious that I like Gordon Ramsey?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #305
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
ARGHHHH my other reality!!! First Hell's Kitchen now this?!......is it obvious that I like Gordon Ramsey?
LOL...Sorry Matty, I'm a huge Ramsay fan as well...he's got a few other reality shows still available though...
Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #306
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I can't stand his foul mouth. Effing this effing that - what a jerk!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #307
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I can't stand his foul mouth. Effing this effing that - what a jerk!
Ya but its hilarious how he treats people like dirt. with regards to the clip...a guy owns a restaurant and has never cooked a casserole? like cmon
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #308
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Ya but its hilarious how he treats people like dirt. with regards to the clip...a guy owns a restaurant and has never cooked a casserole? like cmon
I don't agree with his mannerisms and how he treats people. Maybe it's an act for the show - i don't know.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #309
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Maybe it's an act for the show - i don't know.
It's an act, most certainly, Dion. Swearing is his M.O. It's how he got where he is, in the UK. Well that and the fact that he is quite good as a chef and businessman too! My wife can't stand him either.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #310
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
It's an act, most certainly, Dion. Swearing is his M.O. It's how he got where he is, in the UK. Well that and the fact that he is quite good as a chef and businessman too! My wife can't stand him either.
Ahhhhhh okay! That puts things in proper perspective.

Yeah, he does come across as a good chef and business guy. The nights i can tolerate his profanitites he makes good business sense with his ideas.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #311
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
MattyC, you a Chef yourself? It's just that I haven't really heard of anyone outside the industry liking Ramsay all that much. I've worked with some Chefs that follow a similar, old school mentality (those damn French) to running a kitchen. I think the only reason why I've stuck around and improved as a Chef myself is because of guys like this that make you feel accountable for everything you do.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #312
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post
MattyC, you a Chef yourself? It's just that I haven't really heard of anyone outside the industry liking Ramsay all that much. I've worked with some Chefs that follow a similar, old school mentality (those damn French) to running a kitchen. I think the only reason why I've stuck around and improved as a Chef myself is because of guys like this that make you feel accountable for everything you do.
Yep, it's definitely an industry thing. Most of the people who've never been inside a professional kitchen don't know how to take the guy. Myself, I have a lot of respect for him and everything he's accomplished. He's a -very- good chef... in fact it's kind of stupid saying that. I mean it's like saying Van Gough was a very good painter...

Anyway. The swearing is most definitely not an act. It's not easy working for him, (as I've read, at least) but those who are able to take it would never dream of working for anyone else. He really is that good.

Edit: Here's a bit of a snippet:

Quote:
Awards

Ramsay is one of only three chefs in the UK to maintain three Michelin Guide stars for his restaurant (the others being Heston Blumenthal and Alain Roux). He was appointed OBE in the 2006 honours list "for services to the hospitality industry".

In July 2006 Ramsay won the Catey award for "Independent Restaurateur of the Year", becoming only the third person to have won three Catey awards, the biggest awards of the UK hospitality industry. Ramsay's two previous Catey awards were in 1995 (Newcomer of the Year) & 2000 (Chef of the Year). The other two triple-winners are Michel Roux and Andrew and Jacquie Pern.

In September 2006, he was named as the most influential person in the UK hospitality industry in the annual Caterersearch 100 list, published by Caterer and Hotelkeeper magazine. He overtook Jamie Oliver, who had been top of the list in 2005.

Also in 2006, Ramsay was nominated as a candidate for Rector at the University of St Andrews, but was beaten at the polls by Simon Pepper. Despite a publicity campaign, Ramsay never visited St Andrews and did not appear in press interviews.

Ramsay's flagship restaurant, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, has been voted London's top restaurant in food bible Harden's for the past eight years, but has controversially relinquished the spot in 2008 to Petrus, a restaurant run by his former protege Marcus Wareing.

Gordon Ramsay Holdings

All of Ramsay's business interests (restaurants, media, consultancy) are held in the company Gordon Ramsay Holdings Limited. Run in partnership with his father-in-law Chris Hutcheson, Ramsay owns a 69% stake valued at £67m. The UK restaurants continue to expand rapidly under Marcus Wareing as Chef Patron.

Whereas previous ventures acted as a combined consultant/brand, in November 2006 Ramsay announced plans to create three restaurants in the United States in partnership with private equity group Blackstone Group, who are refurbishing each of the chosen hotels into five star locations at a cost of £100M per hotel. At an investment of £3m per restaurant for the 10-year lease, all the restaurants will offer the chef’s trademark modern European cuisine, and opened in 2006/2007 at:

* Gordon Ramsay at the London Hotel in Manhattan, New York - October 2006
* Gordon Ramsay at the Cielo in Boca Raton, Florida
* Gordon Ramsay at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, California

In late 2006 Gordon Ramsay Holdings purchased three London pubs; The Narrow in Limehouse, which opened in March 2007, the Devonshire in Chiswick, which opened in October of that year and The Warrington in Maida Vale, which opened in February 2008.

Ramsay acts as a consultant to numerous catering organizations, and was recruited by Singapore Airlines as one of its "International Culinary Panel" consultants.

In May 2008 it was confirmed that Ramsay's protege of 15 years, Marcus Wareing was going solo having opened and operated Pétrus at The Berkeley Hotel on behalf of Gordon Ramsay Holdings since 2003. With the name Pétrus owned by Gordon Ramsay Holdings, industry sources suggested it was likely to transfer to another restaurant in the group with the former La Noisette site identified as the most likely.
...and, if anyone feels like taking a gander at his restaurants: http://www.gordonramsay.com

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #313
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yep, it's definitely an industry thing. Most of the people who've never been inside a professional kitchen don't know how to take the guy. Myself, I have a lot of respect for him and everything he's accomplished. He's a -very- good chef... in fact it's kind of stupid saying that. I mean it's like saying Van Gough was a very good painter...

Anyway. The swearing is most definitely not an act. It's not easy working for him, (as I've read, at least) but those who are able to take it would never dream of working for anyone else. He really is that good.

Edit: Here's a bit of a snippet:

...and, if anyone feels like taking a gander at his restaurants: http://www.gordonramsay.com
Wow! That's quite the resume
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #314
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I simply don't buy that his swearing is not somewhat of an act. I accept that swearing in the UK is the norm, after all I lived there for my first 22 years of life! However, the amount he swears and when he swears is not normal. It's definitely a little bit for show. Hey, it works for the guy. Like I've said before his business acumen is incredible. I enjoy his shows but I can certainly understand those that don't.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #315
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He's definitely one of the most accomplished Chefs out there right now. To me he's right up there with Chef Anthony Bourdain, who I had the pleasure to meet when I was in New York. It's too bad that the original idea of Hell's Kitchen never went through, which would have seen both Bourdain and Ramsay running their own brigades.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #316
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

i am not in the food industry, and love Chef Ramsay. Prefer his UK Kitchen Nightmares.
He has a great attitude. He doesn't take from anyone, and will tell you if you screw up. The swearing isn't an act. His is far to successful to not be taken seriously.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #317
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry. Rough week of work. I avoided computers this weekend.

The Cleveland Indian Head Test Patterns are proud to select for their third round pick in the World Category, Top Gear

If you've never seen the show, you MUST watch the clips.

Jeremy Clarkson, who helped the original series reach its peak in the 1990s, along with producer Andy Wilman, successfully pitched a new format for Top Gear to the BBC, reversing a previous decision to cancel the show in 2001. The new series was first broadcast in 2002. Top Gear's studio is located at Dunsfold Park, a privately-owned aerodrome and business park in Waverley, Surrey. Top Gear uses a temporary racing circuit which was designed for the show by Lotus and is laid out on parts of Dunsfold's runways and taxiways. A large hangar is used for studio recording with a standing audience who apply to the BBC for free tickets, albeit with an estimated 21-year waiting list.

The new series format incorporates a number of major changes from the old show. The running time was extended to one hour and two new presenters were introduced: Richard Hammond and Jason Dawe, with James May replacing Dawe after the first series. The Stig, an anonymous masked racing driver, was introduced as the test driver. New segments were also added, including "Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car", "The Cool Wall", "Car News", "Power Laps", and one-off features such as races, competitions and the frequent destruction of caravans.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #318
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

^

You might want to insert new youtubes, Barnes. All 3 say no longer available. Dunno maybe it's just on my end

Great pic btw!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #319
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not available for me either...although that's how most of the videos on Youtube are for me lately.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #320
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn that was fast. I checked all three before linking them.