Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2024, 08:34 AM   #301
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord View Post
Hanafin has been offered pretty good term and money to stay in Calgary but doesn't want to resign, fair enough. There's only 10 teams he can be traded to and between him and his agent they keep leaking teams that Hanafin will sign a long term contract with even further hampering the teams Conroy can get a good deal with.

If I'm Conroy in like F it. By Wednesday I call all the teams I can trade him to and say what's your best offer and whoever comes with their best BAM Hanafin gets traded whether that's his preferred destination or not.

Conroy needs to be team first at this point not player first and I believe that's how he perceives it
Just to clarify, he has an 8-team no trade list meaning he can't be traded to those teams. He can be traded to any of the other 23.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:34 AM   #302
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord View Post
Hanafin has been offered pretty good term and money to stay in Calgary but doesn't want to resign, fair enough. There's only 10 teams he can be traded to and between him and his agent they keep leaking teams that Hanafin will sign a long term contract with even further hampering the teams Conroy can get a good deal with.

If I'm Conroy in like F it. By Wednesday I call all the teams I can trade him to and say what's your best offer and whoever comes with their best BAM Hanafin gets traded whether that's his preferred destination or not.

Conroy needs to be team first at this point not player first and I believe that's how he perceives it
I suspect this is what’s going to happen. If there’s a team, hopefully there’s more than one, that can outbid Tampa, or Florida, then that’s where Hanifin’s going.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:42 AM   #303
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully there's a team that likes the smell of their own #### this year and believes they can win with him and convince him to stay.

Either way I think a rental offer may wind up being more substantial than those tabled by the few teams Hanifin is purportedly interested in long term. Those teams don't even appear to have particularly high interest. Maybe Tampa.. but hard to say.

And no matter what, Connie shouldn't play the role of genie granting players wishes here like he kind of did for Tanev.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:49 AM   #304
Njord
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Just to clarify, he has an 8-team no trade list meaning he can't be traded to those teams. He can be traded to any of the other 23.
My bad. Thought it was only 10 he could be traded to
Njord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:50 AM   #305
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea where Tampa sees itself going forward. They don't seem to be in it this year, and it does feel like their window is somewhat closing. Does eight years of Hanifin even make sense for them? I can certainly see it with Florida, on the other hand.

Still think he'll end up being traded with an extension in place, when all is said and done. Now if that's to Florida, Boston or Tampa, I don't care as long as we get fair value in return.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:51 AM   #306
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a really hard time understanding Tampa over Florida being Hanifin’s preference. From a hockey and even market standpoint it doesn’t make sense. Has to be a negotiation tactic to get more out of Florida
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:00 AM   #307
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I have a really hard time understanding Tampa over Florida being Hanifin’s preference. From a hockey and even market standpoint it doesn’t make sense. Has to be a negotiation tactic to get more out of Florida
I think Sec explained it perfectly! Agent is working with Conroy to drive the price up for the Panthers to meet Conroys expectations!
Pickle Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pickle Juice For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:00 AM   #308
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Or he’s taking career advice from Gaudreau
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:12 AM   #309
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I suspect this is what’s going to happen. If there’s a team, hopefully there’s more than one, that can outbid Tampa, or Florida, then that’s where Hanifin’s going.
Outbidding Tampa or Florida won’t be hard to do . Their firsts are 2026 and have a crap prospect base. I highly doubt Florida will trade Lundell . He is a young 3rd line center that plays on their pp and pk. Florida only has to beat out the best rental price.

There was a rumour Carolina is interested. That’s where I would be looking . At least their 1sts are before 2026 and have a much better prospect base.

Sorry hanifin I could care less if you get your extension in this deal if it only brings back pretty much rental prices.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:19 AM   #310
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is Florida superior to Tampa in any way? Except for his pal playing for the Panthers I can't see looking at the two teams, the two organizations, and the two cities and then not picking the Lightning and the bay area. Playing with his friend may be a huge draw, but the Lightning and Tampa are a pretty great place to go if they will have you.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:19 AM   #311
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If hanafin is indeed set on 2 teams to extend - very likely chance a rental price will be worth more then what lightning or Panthers can offer on an extended trade. Whether he cares or not - hanafin will likely lose out on an 8th year of a deal or 15% of his big money contract.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:22 AM   #312
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think "crap prospect base" is a bit of an exaggeration. Their prospect pools are obviously very shallow (that will happen if you hand out draft picks like candy), but there's still quality prospects to be had.

Mackie Samoskevich is a decent RW prospect and has pretty much mirrored Coronato (fellow 2021 1st, two years of solid college production, good AHL rookie numbers)
Jack Devine, another RW prospect, is one the best college scorers at 20 years old
Gracyn Sawchyn, a 2nd rounder this past draft, is a solid center prospect

Isaac Howard has found another gear after transfering to Michigan State and is progressing nicely
Ethan Gauthier is a solid RW prospect with decent junior numbers
Jack Thompson is a decent RHD prospect who seems to progress well in the AHL

and there's more. Now there's obvious caveats here - both teams seem to be quite wing-heavy in their systems, and many of them are those dreaded Americans that so many fans will be worried about when it comes to signing in Calgary but still, there's some quality.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:26 AM   #313
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
How is Florida superior to Tampa in any way? Except for his pal playing for the Panthers I can't see looking at the two teams, the two organizations, and the two cities and then not picking the Lightning and the bay area. Playing with his friend may be a huge draw, but the Lightning and Tampa are a pretty great place to go if they will have you.
1 team is hanging on to WC2 by a thread and trending down in coming years, the other is 1st in the NHL and trending up. Probably the biggest way they're superior right now.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:33 AM   #314
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think "crap prospect base" is a bit of an exaggeration. Their prospect pools are obviously very shallow (that will happen if you hand out draft picks like candy), but there's still quality prospects to be had.

Mackie Samoskevich is a decent RW prospect and has pretty much mirrored Coronato (fellow 2021 1st, two years of solid college production, good AHL rookie numbers)
Jack Devine, another RW prospect, is one the best college scorers at 20 years old
Gracyn Sawchyn, a 2nd rounder this past draft, is a solid center prospect

Isaac Howard has found another gear after transfering to Michigan State and is progressing nicely
Ethan Gauthier is a solid RW prospect with decent junior numbers
Jack Thompson is a decent RHD prospect who seems to progress well in the AHL

and there's more. Now there's obvious caveats here - both teams seem to be quite wing-heavy in their systems, and many of them are those dreaded Americans that so many fans will be worried about when it comes to signing in Calgary but still, there's some quality.
Maybe “ crap prospect base” was not the right way to say it. I would now say “ limited prospect base” . The problem with limited prospect base is they need to keep the good ones more than other teams. They need some cost cutting rookie contracts that can play. I just don’t see Tampa depleting what little they have.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:33 AM   #315
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Outbidding Tampa or Florida won’t be hard to do . Their firsts are 2026 and have a crap prospect base.

There was a rumour Carolina is interested. That’s where I would be looking . At least their 1sts are before 2026 and have a much better prospect base.

Give me as many of those 2026 Gavin McKenna lottery tickets as possible please.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:40 AM   #316
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
1 team is hanging on to WC2 by a thread and trending down in coming years, the other is 1st in the NHL and trending up. Probably the biggest way they're superior right now.
I would look at those rosters ad the status of the players. Florida has five UFAs up front, including their leading goal scorer and point getter in Sam Reinhart. He's going to get paid this summer and probably won't be back. Florida has TWO defensemen signed beyond this season, Ekblad and Mikkola. I don't see a sustaining trend there. Tampa has a better core and balance through their salary structure. Stamkos is about to come off the books leaving them cash to work with. Imagine having a choice of joining a team with a defensive core of Hedman, Sergachev, and Cernak, having Vasilevskiy in goal, and the top scorer in the NHL? Florida may be experiencing a spike, but I don't see them sustaining their success, while I expect Tampa to rebound to their usual form next season when they get their guys back from injury.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:42 AM   #317
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Miami area is very attractive for athletes. It’s arguably a top 3 draw in all of sports. No slight to Tampa, but I can’t think of too many better markets for a young, rich athlete. Coupled with being perhaps the best team in the league, compared with a past their prime Lightning team, the choice is a slam dunk in my eyes.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:44 AM   #318
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Maybe “ crap prospect base” was not the right way to say it. I would now say “ limited prospect base” . The problem with limited prospect base is they need to keep the good ones more than other teams. They need some cost cutting rookie contracts that can play. I just don’t see Tampa depleting what little they have.
fair, but that's Tampa's problem, not Calgary's. You can't have your cake and it it too.

still think it's likely that the Tampa rumour is just a ruse, like Sec said.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:55 AM   #319
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The smart play for Hanifin is pick the Panthers because they NEED him on the back end. They will most likely pay him because they have two defensemen signed and they need the talent back there. Will that lead to success? Not so sure. If the Panthers sign Hanifin they will have about $68M committed to 11 players, lots of holes to fill, and few prospects to bring in. He can get paid, but I'm not sure winning anything is in the Panthers' future. The lack of depth is going to hurt them.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:02 AM   #320
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the Panthers not want to keep Forsling and Montour or are they going to let those guys walk? Can they afford to keep those 2 and give Hanifin the big deal he wants?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote