Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2024, 10:13 AM   #301
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So I just checked in and from my source Noah Hanifin has not indicated to anyone he will only sign in TB. Noise is he wants to see what is available to him come free agency but I have no idea where in the hell FS got this info from. It does kind of piss me off because if he is putting that out there I would hope GM's would do their homework and ask Conroy and not worry about what he is saying. It also bothers me because personally I have respect for Frank Seravalli but he seems to be trying to downplay our assets for some reason publically. I don't know what his end goal is in that regard or if he is just getting fed info from someone trying to hurt our market but I am not buying what he is currently selling.
Does anyone have an in with the Barn Burner guys? Can call FS out or ask what the deal is with devaluing the Flames players? Especially when it’s so contrary to the rest of the info out there? Call this guy out.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #302
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

They'll never call him out or a variety of reasons. Mainly frank is Daily Faceoff/Nation Network's golden goose.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:25 AM   #303
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still have a good feeling that Hanifin ends up on the Panthers when all is said and done. Tampa leak could be posturing to get the Panthers to pay up, he fits their window, has some former flames friends on the team already, and they've been very interested all season in him. Seems like the perfect landing spot
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:29 AM   #304
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Re: Hanifin.

In addition to the Florida based teams, don't count out Boston either. Sweeney has been after him since the 2015 draft when he tried to reportedly trade up for him and Boston media has said there have been talks even this year about him. Also Flames assistant GM Dave Nonis has been scouting the Bruins at TD Garden the last 3 games.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:29 AM   #305
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Devils have sent Akira Schmid down to the AHL and recalled G Isaac Poulter. Interesting...
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:31 AM   #306
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Sleeping is giving in, so lift those heavy eyelids.
Conroy doesn't sleep, he waits
Old 02-21-2024, 10:35 AM   #307
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Frank is one of the most tight lipped insiders out there. Of course Hanifin is going to look out for Hanifin. This is why his camp hasn't given a firm answer on extending until now.

If he has no inclination or desire to move this year, he's going to do everything he can to limit the options beyond his 8 team no trade list.
That will be the case for most players, but I see no reason for him to put the screws to the Flames.

From all accounts they let him be during the offseason, and negotiated a very fair deal which he walked away from himself.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:44 AM   #308
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best regular on Barn Burner is Noodles, hands down. He is interesting, insightful and a real pleasure to just listen to, especially when he shares some of his stories. It makes me wonder how conversations were like back in the day between him and Conroy as teammates.

What's funny is that I find myself really enjoying Dreger for the most part. I used to dislike him, but I do actually like his thoughts and scoops that he shares. He seems reasonable and non-combative. The more I listen to Seravelli, the less I like him honestly, and it has nothing to do with him seemingly wanting to devalue players. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he just seems to rub me the wrong way at times. I guess he comes off as a bit condescending at times, or has an air of arrogance about him. There is a line that separates confidence from arrogance, and it just feels like he crosses that line sometimes. Hard to explain. Maybe it is just me - probably is just me - but I don't really look forward to his spots much. I am just shocked that I have actually started liking Dreger over the last couple of months.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:46 AM   #309
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The best regular on Barn Burner is Noodles, hands down. He is interesting, insightful and a real pleasure to just listen to, especially when he shares some of his stories. It makes me wonder how conversations were like back in the day between him and Conroy as teammates.

What's funny is that I find myself really enjoying Dreger for the most part. I used to dislike him, but I do actually like his thoughts and scoops that he shares. He seems reasonable and non-combative. The more I listen to Seravelli, the less I like him honestly, and it has nothing to do with him seemingly wanting to devalue players. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he just seems to rub me the wrong way at times. I guess he comes off as a bit condescending at times, or has an air of arrogance about him. There is a line that separates confidence from arrogance, and it just feels like he crosses that line sometimes. Hard to explain. Maybe it is just me - probably is just me - but I don't really look forward to his spots much. I am just shocked that I have actually started liking Dreger over the last couple of months.
Wonder if Dreger is more pro Flames with the Nonis hiring, and you're just picking it up?

(I still have him on ignore)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:47 AM   #310
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Wonder if Dreger is more pro Flames with the Nonis hiring, and you're just picking it up?

That's likely the case.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:53 AM   #311
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously Frank is tight with GMs of the other teams and he’s not with Conroy. That’s how these insiders survive, it’s through their connections with GMs, agents, players.

The Oilers have always been masters of buttering up the media. I’m sure they have a media slush fund in their operating budget. Treliving is also great at the political game which is why the media regards him as a great GM despite running the Flames into the ground.

Flames owners have never seemed to be into these kind of politics. Edwards seems to only have a relationship with Francis but even Francis isn’t always shining the Flames shoe.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:10 AM   #312
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually like Tampa as a trading partner for Hanifin. That 2026 pick might have a lot more upside than a guaranteed late first this year. I also like Howard as a prospect.

Aggressive GM who has no problem bleeding picks, and who’s team could very much completely fall off in the next two years. I would target that pick and try to get it with limited protection.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:16 AM   #313
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Don’t take things personally Frank
I wish I was aging like Frank. Instead of that grey I just lost my hair.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 11:34 AM   #314
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Conroy doesn't sleep, he waits
Oh he sleeps, he just talks in his sleep so it seems like he’s always awake.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:51 AM   #315
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Haha totally. His hair is pretty nice actually, aside from the grey. I'd certainly take my waistline over his though, but that stuff is reversible. If working out and dieting brought my hair back, I'd be at the gym 7 days a week.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:03 PM   #316
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Actually, it never bothers me when someone is anti-Flames, as long as they have rational arguments. I never followed Dreger on twitter or listened to him on any other podcast, as I saw him as the 'unprofessional voice' next to McKenzie and Lebrun. Dreger just seemed more 'click-baity' than actual news-oriented and rational. Serravalli has become that for me now, while Dreger seems more professional. A few weeks ago, Dreger stated that he doesn't think that Tanev will get a 1st, just like Serravalli did, but he didn't have what I would almost call contempt for being questioned on it.

The best way that I can say this is that I am pleasantly surprised that Dreger doesn't annoy me when I listen to him, but Serravalli does, even when they have the exact same opinions on things.

The weirdest thing is that I can't believe that I am defending Dreger. LoL
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:05 PM   #317
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

When I tuned out was when he seemed to develop a predictable recipe.

Take player X
Add 3 of 7 Canadian teams interested
Send

Got really old.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 12:11 PM   #318
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
Does anyone have an in with the Barn Burner guys? Can call FS out or ask what the deal is with devaluing the Flames players? Especially when it’s so contrary to the rest of the info out there? Call this guy out.
I highly doubt Frank's radio and podcast hits are going to affect trade offers for Hanifin. If that were the case, then Conroy isn't very good at his job.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:15 PM   #319
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
He's only 35 but looks like he's 55.

Hope for your sake your aging better then that.
traptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:17 PM   #320
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we trade Hanifin to Admiral Vladivostok?

"The Calgary Flames send their regards."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote