Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #301
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The correlation of people worried about C-11 and people who talked about covid restrictions being a permanent pull back of rights has be 1 right?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #302
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
EV infrastructure isn’t Tesla specific though, so… again. Bad analogy. We recommend cars because of the quality of the car, not the quality of the stock price. Happens to be why the general automotive thread doesn’t read the same as the stock market thread.

Here you are defending the merits of this analogy while you shamed me for my pitch perfect obesity analogy? You have lost your way, brother. You need the guidance of a good man or woman. A breath of fresh mountain air. A glass of warmed milk.
That... wasn't an analogy. There was nothing I was analogizing to. Do you know what the word "analogy" means? I'm suddenly very worried that I've been arguing with an eleventh grader with a fake account. Tesla's Supercharger network is proprietary, isn't it? As is the infrastructure specific to Tesla vehicles that you get installed in your home? I mean I'm aware that there are separate EV hookups for general use that you can plug your Tesla into but one of the benefits of buying a Tesla rather than say a Hyundai Ioniq 5 is that Tesla have their own "stuff", so to speak.

... I do need all those things though. Maybe not the warm milk, that's weird.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:50 AM   #303
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
So I don't see his comments as scary. There are much scarier real actions happening right now, including C-11, then a politician promoting crypto.
Cool. I think C-11 sucks but I don’t see it as scary.

What you fear or what worries you is subjective, so while we could go back and forth on this, it may pretty meaningless. We’re not speaking in objective, matter of fact terms here. You can call things “scarier real actions” but everything is real. Everything being said and everything being done is real. Your fears might be valid, but they’re probably not, just from a kind of common sense perspective here, just like mine probably aren’t were PP to take the top job.

To reiterate my point, though, so it doesn’t get lost: pointing out something you think is subjectively scary and cause for concern does not require dismissing “the narrative” or whatever around what other people think is subjectively scary or cause for concern. The validity of one doesn’t determine the validity of the other.

You can be concerned about C-11, go wild, I totally get it even if I’m not. But dismissing any concerns about PP in the same breath just makes it look like your concerns are based in partisanship and bias, and not anything objective or meaningful. We’re allowed to think Trudeau and the top contender for the Cons are bad at the same time. It sucks, but it’s truly an OK thing to hold both thoughts as valid.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #304
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That... wasn't an analogy. There was nothing I was analogizing to. Do you know what the word "analogy" means? I'm suddenly very worried that I've been arguing with an eleventh grader with a fake account. Tesla's Supercharger network is proprietary, isn't it? As is the infrastructure specific to Tesla vehicles that you get installed in your home? I mean I'm aware that there are separate EV hookups for general use that you can plug your Tesla into but one of the benefits of buying a Tesla rather than say a Hyundai Ioniq 5 is that Tesla have their own "stuff", so to speak.

... I do need all those things though. Maybe not the warm milk, that's weird.
Listen, I’m just putting words in a random order hoping something sticks over here, alright? You’re telling me hiding the phone under my desk so we can go back and forth on this while I’m supposed to be learning math isn’t good enough for you?

The warm milk is non-negotiable. You might not get what you want, but you’re gonna get what you need.

(I was referring to the analogy between Tesla and Bitcoin that Firebot made, or EVs to crypto, if you want. Either that was an analogy or I am truly lost. Both could be true.)
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #305
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do any of you guys work or are you on CalgaryPuck all day?
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #306
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
When you have as many clients on CP as I do...its technically both.

Bingo is going to freak when he sees my invoice for billable hours.

He didnt know he was on the hook for those...gotta read the fine print.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #307
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you think there are so many daytime posts for universal income and Eat the rich and so many nighttime rebuttals
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #308
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #309
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need a big CP cuddle party to mend all the wounds.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #310
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think we need a big CP cuddle party to mend all the wounds.

Yeah, no, that might ruin illusions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:41 PM   #311
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The correlation of people worried about C-11 and people who talked about covid restrictions being a permanent pull back of rights has be 1 right?
Wrong. I'm in the former but not the latter. I think there are legitimate concerns about freedom of expression, red tape, and diluting user choice with C-11.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 02:51 PM   #312
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Freedom of expression seems like such a low priority to focus on at the moment. There's almost too much of it - dangerously so - and plenty of platforms to spout rhetoric if free speech is something you need to espouse daily to exercise that right.

Inflation/economy/pandemic/climate change/war in Europe/houselessness . . . . I just don't see free speech needing immediate correction above all these other things, at least not like conservatives are making it out to be.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 02:58 PM   #313
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Freedom of expression seems like such a low priority to focus on at the moment. There's almost too much of it - dangerously so - and plenty of platforms to spout rhetoric if free speech is something you need to espouse daily to exercise that right.

Inflation/economy/pandemic/climate change/war in Europe/houselessness . . . . I just don't see free speech needing immediate correction above all these other things, at least not like conservatives are making it out to be.
So you are in agreement that the Liberals and NDP are in the complete wrong to prioritize and focus on censorship and C-11 at a moment of economic crisis and global uncertainty?
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #314
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
C-11 is a very different kind of threat to free expression (in that it threatens to impose administrative burden to say anything at all and particularly what you might want if you're saying it to a large number of people and monetizing your expression) than the anti-hate laws and corporate terms of service that the alt-right chafes against.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #315
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yes I do agree its not necessary at the moment. I think the Liberals are in the wrong for forcing legislation on this at the moment, and I think conservatives are wrong for thinking that this issue is such high priority over various other calamities. And that doesn't include the right-wing fervor to defend "free speech" and "freedom" which is just wasted energy.

Both sides have it wrong.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #316
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't even have to give a crap about the freedom of expression implications to think C-11 is a bad bill. The basically undisputed fact that it will make day-to-day life slightly, but obviously, worse for every Canadian who consumes content online, or from internet-based services (which is of course the vast majority of us under the age of 60) is enough. Especially when there's no obvious benefit to doing so, and especially especially when it will cost your tax dollars to implement this system that's making things worse for you.

It's just all around bad. I'm really not sure why they want to do it. I can't imagine there are votes to be had. It just reeks of someone's pet project.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 03:29 PM   #317
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I do agree its not necessary at the moment. I think the Liberals are in the wrong for forcing legislation on this at the moment, and I think conservatives are wrong for thinking that this issue is such high priority over various other calamities. And that doesn't include the right-wing fervor to defend "free speech" and "freedom" which is just wasted energy.

Both sides have it wrong.
Conservatives motioned to provide cost of living relief to Canadians earlier this month, which was defeated by the Liberal-NDP coalition more interested in priorities like C-11.

Conservatives don't control what bills get passed in parliament. C-11 is what the Liberals want to push right now, to ensure it gets to the Senate before summer recess. Conservatives have nothing to do with C-11 being pushed in right now.

Conservatives are the only thing remotely standing against C-11 a bill that no Canadians seems to want except Liberal MPs and NDP MP for reasons unknown

It's just a bad bill as stated, one that has no justifiable benefit to Canadians.

Last edited by Firebot; 06-16-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:30 PM   #318
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I do think the fundamental goal of C-11 to harmonise regulations and taxation between say, CTV and Netflix makes sense. The issue is that treating Scorp's podcast like CTV does not.

Last edited by SebC; 06-16-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #319
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have my doubts that C-11 gets passed by the senate in its current form, its a toxic bill, and rushed through where there was no debate allowed on the ammendments that the Liberals and NDP didn't want debate on.

This whole thing is similar to C-10 from before the election where the senate sent it back to the house.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #320
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Conservatives motioned to provide cost of living relief to Canadians earlier this month, which was defeated by the Liberal-NDP coalition more interested in priorities like C-11.

Conservatives don't control what bills get passed in parliament. C-11 is what the Liberals want to push right now, to ensure it gets to the Senate before summer recess. Conservatives have nothing to do with C-11 being pushed in right now.

Conservatives are the only thing remotely standing against C-11 a bill that no Canadians seems to want except Liberal MPs and NDP MP for reasons unknown

It's just a bad bill as stated, one that has no justifiable benefit to Canadians.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think this bill is really getting people up in arms.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I haven't heard much if any talk about it in my day to day life.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote