Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #301
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I wonder if "Antifa" even exists anywhere outside of these people's heads.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 09:10 AM   #302
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s trying to be the next Allan Bloom or Camille Paglia. He’s got a bigger audience than both of them combined but he has a fraction of the brain power.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #303
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is semi-interesting how the Jordan Peterson and IDW crew have essentially created their own little constrained media system. They appear on each other's podcasts, in their stories, etc. Its a contained eco-system that I'm sure can generate enough wealth for all all of them.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #304
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Gotta say, I'm getting a kick out of everyone insulting his intelligence. Like you're all a bunch of rocket scientists yourselves.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #305
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Gotta say, I'm getting a kick out of everyone insulting his intelligence. Like you're all a bunch of rocket scientists yourselves.
He may be very intelligent, but I think what galls people is the grift. He is speaking nonsense to a select audience who pays him handsomely for said nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #306
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Believe me when I say you can be really intelligent but also a total idiot. The issue people have is that he speaks as an authority outside of his lane. Speaking like an expert of things he knows very little about.

Kind of like getting Tiger Woods to coach a hockey team. Tiger is the greatest golfer ever, so he must know everything there is to know about sports right?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #307
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maintenance Phase (podcast) did a good two-parter on Jordan Peterson which explains pretty well what happened to his health, and I think they have some good takes. Really short version, trying to go cold turkey on benzo's (prescribed for his depression) and probably his all-meat diet was a contributing factor.

https://www.maintenancephase.com (Or you know, where ever you get your podcasts from.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:49 AM   #308
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sometimes I wonder if "Antifa" even exists anywhere outside of these people's heads.
Several antifa members assaulted the dude Peterson was talking to a couple of years ago.

In 2020 there was a politically motivated murder committed by a self described antifa member/supporter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killin...chael_Reinoehl

So yes antifa does indeed exist outside of the imagination of Jordan Peterson and company and has been responsible for violent acts. It's understandable that he has an axe to grind with them.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #309
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Several antifa members assaulted the dude Peterson was talking to a couple of years ago.

In 2020 there was a politically motivated murder committed by a self described antifa member/supporter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killin...chael_Reinoehl

So yes antifa does indeed exist outside of the imagination of Jordan Peterson and company and has been responsible for violent acts. It's understandable that he has an axe to grind with them.
Calling that a "politically motivated murder" is stretching what is known very, very far.

For all anyone knows it might just as well have been self-defense and not a murder at all. There doesn't seem to have been a proper investigation or credible sources claiming otherwise. (I'm aware the police called Reinoehl a murderer. I'm not going to bother explaining why taking their word for it in such a matter would be anything other than extremely naive.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:02 AM   #310
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neither of those incidents convince me that Antifa is a thing that actually exists.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #311
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neither of those incidents convince me that Antifa is a thing that actually exists.
Anti-capitalist anarchists who flock to public demonstrations with the intent to riot and destroy property are absolutely a real thing. How exactly they’re organized or what they call themselves isn’t really important. They’re violent actors on the political stage who actually exist. The Battle of Seattle wasn’t an act of unplanned spontaneity. The fires set on the streets and public buildings of Portland in recent years aren’t all the acts of totally unaffiliated individuals.

Just because ######bags in conservative media exaggerate the threat doesn’t mean it’s simply fabricated.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-29-2022 at 11:27 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #312
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
It's another example of a well educated person going off the rails. He may have more advanced degrees than I do, but I am educated enough to spot crazy when I see it. Same as Ben Carson and his 'the pyramids were granaries for joseph' nonsense.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #313
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
It's another example of a well educated person going off the rails. He may have more advanced degrees than I do, but I am educated enough to spot crazy when I see it. Same as Ben Carson and his 'the pyramids were granaries for joseph' nonsense.
Peterson was always so high strung that it’s not a surprise he had a breakdown. What was surprising was seeing him fall under the sway of his nutbar daughter and her kooky diets and money-making schemes. There’s a cautionary tale there about parents and blind spots, though I doubt Peterson will be writing about it in his next self-help book.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 11:35 AM   #314
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Anti-capitalist anarchists who flock to public demonstrations with the intent to riot and destroy property are absolutely a real thing. How exactly they’re organized or what they call themselves isn’t really important. They’re violent actors on the political stage who actually exist. The Battle of Seattle wasn’t an act of unplanned spontaneity. The fires set on the streets and public buildings of Portland in recent years aren’t all the acts of totally unaffiliated individuals.

Just because ######bags in conservative media exaggerate the threat doesn’t mean it’s simply fabricated.
But that's kind of an indivdual thing. It's not like The Proud Boys, where they seem to have some sort of organization. I guess my point is, it seems they throw the Antifa label on anyone who takes a position against their own. And the funny part is the name is just a description of what they are against, fascists. Which really is something we should all be. I'm anti-fascist, and think people like Peterson are clowns. Am I Antifa?
Old 03-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #315
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
He's clearly mentally unwell now, from his painkiller addictions and dealing with his wife' illness and the sudden celebrity he gained late in life boosting his ego beyond what his mild intellect could handle.
Pretty obviously.

I don't understand why anyone pays him any attention. Even the base he is talking to... he derides weak masculinity and lack of action, lack of usefulness to society, and human wastefulness constantly for years then is revealed to have a huge painkiller addiction? Nothing against recovering addicts (also don't believe this is the case in this scenario- look at the guy) but this level of hypocritical behavior needs to be absolutely trampled. I have active disdain and disregard for anyone who brings this person up in any remotely serious conversation or context.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 11:42 AM   #316
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched that video. Man he really looks sick as hell.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #317
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But that's kind of an indivdual thing. It's not like The Proud Boys, where they seem to have some sort of organization. I guess my point is, it seems they throw the Antifa label on anyone who takes a position against their own. And the funny part is the name is just a description of what they are against, fascists. Which really is something we should all be. I'm anti-fascist, and think people like Peterson are clowns. Am I Antifa?
Like any group they will have their online communities and defacto local "leaders." You and I may not have searched them out but they certainly exist. Just look back to the reporting in early Feb on that Antifa guy in Winnipeg who drove over a bunch of freedom protestors. Some of the reports touch on the various Antifa communities that the suspect was known in both online (Facebook) and in-person (concerts).
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #318
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Got it, Antifa won't be considered a "real thing" until they issue polo shirts. Their websites, flags and posters are all irrelevant.

Definitely not a "real thing", but if they were, what they do is correct, just and beyond criticism, because their name implies going against fascism, which we all agree is bad.

What could go wrong!
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #319
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Got it, Antifa won't be considered a "real thing" until they issue polo shirts. Their websites, flags and posters are all irrelevant.

Definitely not a "real thing", but if they were, what they do is correct, just and beyond criticism, because their name implies going against fascism, which we all agree is bad.

What could go wrong!
That's a fantastic summary of what I just wrote. Really nailed it.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #320
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Peterson had a major clobenzepam (benzo) addiction stemming from a Doctor prescribing it for anxiety. The dosages increased as he dealt with his wife's Cancer.

He eventually ran out of options here in NA as he kept relapsing and couldn't kick the habit so he went to Russia to be put into a medically induced coma so that he could not walk out of the rehab.

From what others have reported about their negative benzo experiences (the late Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters was found to have it in his system along with other prescription drugs) can last a year or longer and his brain just appears fried now.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1568...ordan-peterson
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote