Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #301
peakoil
Lifetime Suspension

Why don't you go look up Maurice Hilleman? You're out of your league.
peakoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #302
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this won't help:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...nes-japan.html
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #303
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
It sounds like, if it were your (and others in the thread) choice, a public forced-vaccination program would be favoured.
I have absolutely no fataing clue why it is not compulsory. It's like making stopping at red lights optional.

I have resisted posting in this ignorant cesspool of a thread for a long time now, but I've had enough.

My opinion: Any parent who doesn't get their child vaccinated is morally repugnant and should be held criminally responsible for any deaths from that disease in the health district (if not a wider scope). You are still free to do whatever you want with your kids, just like you are free to run a red light or murder a person. But if you get caught, you deal with the consequences.

I am all for civil liberties, but when you start infringing on my rights and the rights of my family, then we have a problem.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #304
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
My opinion: Any parent who doesn't get their child vaccinated is morally repugnant and should be held criminally responsible for any deaths from that disease in the health district (if not a wider scope). You are still free to do whatever you want with your kids, just like you are free to run a red light or murder a person. But if you get caught, you deal with the consequences.

I am all for civil liberties, but when you start infringing on my rights and the rights of my family, then we have a problem.
how is someone not wanting a vaccine infringing on your rights? I'm not anti-vaccine but this makes no sense. If you don't want measles, get the vaccination. What gives you the right to tell other people what to put in their body? Shouldn't the only people who die of these diseases be those who refused vaccination anyways or is there something I'm missing? This seems fairly analogous to the fluoride argument.
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #305
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Robocop, what you are missing is that not everyone has vaccines for everything right away. For example, infants do not get the vaccinations for everything the moment they are born. So when I take my young son to the doctor, someone else may be there with the measles, because that fool did not get vaccinated. So rather than living amongst a population of vaccinated people, we are among many people who are keeping assorted diseases alive, simply because they have been duped by a bunch of quacks.
I think what I typed up has been said numerous times in this thread by assorted people. If you don't get the picture by now, there is no point even debating anymore.
You are getting immunized daily by assorted bugs that are all over the place...vaccinations are a controlled immunization of some of the worst things we encountered over the last several hundred years.
Nage Waza is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #306
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is this really a nationwide issue or an irrational fear? I have heard of isolated cases but nothing widespread, not saying it's not happening. I wish they'd just find some preservatives that are obviously safe (as in indisputable) and this whole thing would just go away. I've never come across a single person who has contracted a serious disease such as measles that they should have gotten a vaccination for so it's hard to correlate the stories.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #307
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
I've never come across a single person who has contracted a serious disease such as measles that they should have gotten a vaccination for so it's hard to correlate the stories.
I'll bet that most everyone you know, including yourself, was vaccinated against all sorts of serious diseases, so the reason you don't know a single person is...

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #308
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I'll bet that most everyone you know, including yourself, was vaccinated against all sorts of serious diseases, so the reason you don't know a single person is...
yeah that's great and all and completely irrelevant. point being these guys are claiming vaccinations should be mandatory and I don't see the issue in society so if there's evidence for it please show me.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #309
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Is this really a nationwide issue or an irrational fear? I have heard of isolated cases but nothing widespread, not saying it's not happening. I wish they'd just find some preservatives that are obviously safe (as in indisputable) and this whole thing would just go away. I've never come across a single person who has contracted a serious disease such as measles that they should have gotten a vaccination for so it's hard to correlate the stories.
My brain actually just hemorrhaged from the number of logical fallacies in your arguments.

My brain is now bleeding, and I hold you personally responsible.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #310
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is your correlation, measles cases before and after the introduction of vaccination.

Just because you weren't alive to actually witness the near eradication of many diseases in developed countries doesn't mean vaccines weren't the cause.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #311
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

In many places vaccination is essentially mandatory. Where we live our kids will not be accepted into school without being vaccinated for most diseases including Hep B. Your choice is to home school or get vaccinations which isn't much of a choice. I have no problem with it.

They also need to know how to swim before grade 1 for some reason.

For those that have never known a single person who got a serious disease I suggest asking a parent (or likely grandparent for these folks) what it was like before vaccines for measles, small pox etc. For example, while I personally didn't know her, my aunt died of whooping cough when she was a toddler.

Last edited by ernie; 03-08-2011 at 07:52 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #312
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

And turns out to be unrelated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...e.html?ref=rss

See, this is the problem with the anti-vax crowd. Kids get shots ---> kids die therefore shots caused death meanwhile it turns out that isn't the case at all.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #313
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
how is someone not wanting a vaccine infringing on your rights? I'm not anti-vaccine but this makes no sense. If you don't want measles, get the vaccination. What gives you the right to tell other people what to put in their body? Shouldn't the only people who die of these diseases be those who refused vaccination anyways or is there something I'm missing? This seems fairly analogous to the fluoride argument.
But aren't the vaccinations for minors who don't have the mental capacity to make the decision on their own. So the decision rests on the parents who aren't the ones who get the diseases the vaccinations are intended to protect. If the parents are so willfully negligent to deny their kids the vaccines, the state should step in to protect the child from their poor parenting.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #314
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
And turns out to be unrelated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...e.html?ref=rss

See, this is the problem with the anti-vax crowd. Kids get shots ---> kids die therefore shots caused death meanwhile it turns out that isn't the case at all.
I'm not anti-vax (I have been vaccinated by choice for many things). My position from the very beginning was that people should have a choice and people who choose not to do not derserve all the flack they get. I am anti-mass hysteria and think there should be priorities for vaccinations. The whole H1N1 fiasco was sickening and disheartening.

I am going to hold judgement on the above story until they actually release how all the children died. It doesn't even say if the medical experts have seen the results of the post-mortems (or if the results are even ready).

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-08-2011 at 12:24 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #315
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah that's great and all and completely irrelevant. point being these guys are claiming vaccinations should be mandatory and I don't see the issue in society so if there's evidence for it please show me.
Completely irrelevant? Seriously?

The reason you don't see the "issue", the reason nobody you've ever known has had one of these diseases, is because everyone you know was vaccinated against these diseases.

There's your correlation. There's your evidence.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #316
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
i'm probably dragging out this thread longer than it needs to be, but i really need to know the answer to one of your statements. which preservatives have NOT been shown to be safe? would literally hundreds of different national departments of health allow these to be used on their pediatric populations if they have not been shown to be completely safe in numerous rigorous trials?

as for the last comment about not having come across a single person with these serious diseases, could that be due to the fact that you don't work in the medical field (or so i assume) and that until recently these conditions were not seen. there is a whole generation of physicians that have never seen these conditions due to the effectiveness of vaccines, which makes potential outbreaks even more worrisome as the initial cases could easily be missed.
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #317
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The reason you don't see the "issue", the reason nobody you've ever known has had one of these diseases, is because everyone you know was vaccinated against these diseases.

Exactly, if most of these people lived in the first 60 years of the last century and prior, they would be of a different opinion. Vaccines have done wonders for most the world, but the downside of that is this false sense of security, which leads to this anti-vaccination crowd.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #318
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Better reply would have just been:

*whoooosh*
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #319
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...breaks-us.html

The United States seems to be on track to have more measles cases than any year in more than a decade, with virtually all cases linked to other countries, including Europe where there's a big outbreak.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #320
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Mommy instincts winning!