Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2023, 11:19 AM   #301
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Even Kelowna, penticton, Vernon are a very odd mix of far right wing nut jobs and left leaning hippies. Throw in a few centre right wealthy albertan transplants to boot. Makes for an odd electorate.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #302
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Even Kelowna, penticton, Vernon are a very odd mix of far right wing nut jobs and left leaning hippies. Throw in a few centre right wealthy albertan transplants to boot. Makes for an odd electorate.
In BC whatever Victoria/Vancouver says goes. The rest of the Province hardly matters.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 11:38 AM   #303
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've consistently said that if you leave Victoria/Vancouver farther than your bicycle will take you, you will be astonished.

Most of BC is redneck as hell...Northern BC is essentially Canada's Ozarks.

The reason British Columbians created the 'Alberta Stereotype' was because of Familiarity and Deflection.

Rural BC is hardly alone though, ever been to Rural Ontario or Quebec? Its essentially the same except with a significantly heightened degree of entitlement.
Yep, I grew up in the Okanagan and crossing the Coquihalla always felt like you were entering a different province, whereas Calgary just felt like a flatter version of home
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #304
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yep, I grew up in the Okanagan and crossing the Coquihalla always felt like you were entering a different province, whereas Calgary just felt like a flatter version of home
Its really strange, I find a lot of rural Alberta to be an issue because they have a lot of Electoral control and, in my opinion, generally hold some distasteful social and political views.

However, as someone who has also experienced rural BC/ON/QC that is on a whole other level.

That is not...'I disagree with your opinions' that is "I need to get to my car NOW before the Banjo music stops..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Old 08-25-2023, 12:03 PM   #305
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How stupid do you have to be to steal fire-fighting gear from the pros to protect your property? I get that you want to save your place but at what cost?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #306
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...946420?cmp=rss

I don't even know what to say on this one....
This is where they just need to defer to natural selection. This is nature trying to play itself out. Let's let it.

You go fight those historically aggressive wildfires with garden hoses and watering cans with the locals, you magnificent ####ers.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:21 PM   #307
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yep. The political spectrum is not actually a line, it's a circle.
If you go left enough you come out on the other side.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:34 PM   #308
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've consistently said that if you leave Victoria/Vancouver farther than your bicycle will take you, you will be astonished.

Most of BC is redneck as hell...Northern BC is essentially Canada's Ozarks.

The reason British Columbians created the 'Alberta Stereotype' was because of Familiarity and Deflection.

Rural BC is hardly alone though, ever been to Rural Ontario or Quebec? Its essentially the same except with a significantly heightened degree of entitlement.
Add rural southern Manitoba to the list.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #309
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Its really strange, I find a lot of rural Alberta to be an issue because they have a lot of Electoral control and, in my opinion, generally hold some distasteful social and political views.

However, as someone who has also experienced rural BC/ON/QC that is on a whole other level.

That is not...'I disagree with your opinions' that is "I need to get to my car NOW before the Banjo music stops..."
You got a real purty mouth, ain't you.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #310
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I can vouch for that. He does.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #311
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Yep. The political spectrum is not actually a line, it's a circle.
If you go left enough you come out on the other side.
I generally just decline questions about political allegiances, or change the subject.

Think it's a good rule of thumb when you don't know who you're dealing with (while traveling or in social outings with new people). I just let people tell me who they are if they're so inclined, and take note for future reference.

Getting into that squabbling is generally just a waste of time anyways. Whichever side someone's on, it's ultimately just complaining. Or them justifying their position to you. Great, I believe that you believe in what you're talking about. I'm not here to wrestle you out of a position you talked yourself into over thousands of hours of circular arguments and validation seeking. It's funny how people come in with their defenses up right from the outset expecting to be challenged.

Anyways.. nothing to do with fires. But I find it strange how people get so emotionally tied up in societal issues that you know will change in time like the weather to something else entirely and build their identities around their positions on each and every issue.

One of those things that kind of scares me about people in group settings nowadays. It's like everywhere there's a lynch mob waiting to break out over some futile cause that is driven by 95% emotion and 5% rational thought. Who are we kidding, probably less.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #312
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I generally just decline questions about political allegiances, or change the subject.

Think it's a good rule of thumb when you don't know who you're dealing with (while traveling or in social outings with new people). I just let people tell me who they are if they're so inclined, and take note for future reference.

Getting into that squabbling is generally just a waste of time anyways. Whichever side someone's on, it's ultimately just complaining. Or them justifying their position to you. Great, I believe that you believe in what you're talking about. I'm not here to wrestle you out of a position you talked yourself into over thousands of hours of circular arguments and validation seeking. It's funny how people come in with their defenses up right from the outset expecting to be challenged.

Anyways.. nothing to do with fires. But I find it strange how people get so emotionally tied up in societal issues that you know will change in time like the weather to something else entirely and build their identities around their positions on each and every issue.

One of those things that kind of scares me about people in group settings nowadays. It's like everywhere there's a lynch mob waiting to break out over some futile cause that is driven by 95% emotion and 5% rational thought. Who are we kidding, probably less.
A fair number of the people I work with are pretty far right wing but we get along just fine* and there's lots of areas where we have common ground. Now, they're not full on conspiracy, convoy crowd, so not that far.

....except for one time when I was travelling we had an intense disagreement about the Calgary arena over drinks lolol*
Old 08-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #313
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In BC whatever Victoria/Vancouver says goes. The rest of the Province hardly matters.
Absolutely true. In fact, even looking like you're pandering to the rural communities at all hurts your electoral chances
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 01:59 PM   #314
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
If only Alberta could follow suit with Calgary/Edmonton in charge. One day as populations grow I suppose...
Old 08-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #315
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
If only Alberta could follow suit with Calgary/Edmonton in charge. One day as populations grow I suppose...
That's on Calgary, isn't it? They could have easily kept Smith out of power.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 02:26 PM   #316
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Add rural southern Manitoba to the list.
My knowledge of rural Canada is vast, but Manitoba is a gap for me. I could only make assumptions, so I dont.

Quote:
"You one 'dem edumacated folks aintcha?"

I have to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I can vouch for that. He does.
You sonofabitch! Sell me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
This is the real issue, you can ask that but the fact of the matter is that in BC the major Urban centers control the majority of the electorate.

Kelowna, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Smithers, etc, these people dont have any say.

In Alberta, Calgary could have slightly 'swayed' the vote any way they liked, but the fact of the matter remains that this only the case because of the power of rural ridings.

If we were like BC where nothing outside of the two major Urban Centers mattered then this would be an entirely different story.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:36 PM   #317
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is the real issue, you can ask that but the fact of the matter is that in BC the major Urban centers control the majority of the electorate.

Kelowna, Kamloops, Salmon Arm, Smithers, etc, these people dont have any say.

In Alberta, Calgary could have slightly 'swayed' the vote any way they liked, but the fact of the matter remains that this only the case because of the power of rural ridings.

If we were like BC where nothing outside of the two major Urban Centers mattered then this would be an entirely different story.
46 out of 87 seats are in Calgary and Edmonton, and more if you start to include suburban towns like Airdrie. Calgary leaning more conservative than most North American medium-large cities is what decides Albertan elections.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #318
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

In some ways, I admire the redneck lifestyle. Especially when they have money to burn.

Borrowing from Andy Hayne's hilarious set, you'll never see lefties on a big ass motor boat. They have kayaks. Nothing progressive was ever said on a motor boat:

(starting at 6:50)

It's when they open their mouths and start sharing their thoughts that they lose me.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:43 PM   #319
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this bait? Are you trolling? ####ty sarcasm?

Calgarians fought hard. It was a ridiculously close race in quite a few ridings. Craziest thing I've ever seen in an election.

Calgary - Glenmore was won by the NDP by 30 votes, Calgary - Edgemont NDP won by 283 votes. Lots of battle grounds were won by very slim/extremely slim margins. UCP narrowly won Calgary - Bow over NDP by 385 votes. Calgary - NW won by NDP by 149 votes.

And if a small contingent of those that had showed up to vote had strategically voted for UCP or NDP instead of the other party they voted for, they could have potentially swayed the results in the other direction. It was completely nuts. I remember in the past someone winning by like 500-600 was still considered close. The amount of ridings that were determined by less than 500 votes was insane and many of those were in Calgary.

Edmonton took two elections to go full orange. If Calgary intends to do the same, this is the first of the two elections to completely change color.

Whatever your alliances are, you can't truly say that Calgarians are sitting around doing nothing. So many ridings were won by single digit margins less than 5%. I've never seen that before. This isn't like certain ridings where it was obviously, "Thanks for coming out" and there wasn't much reason for the opposition party voters to even try because the winning party had basically more votes than all the other parties in that riding combined. That wasn't the case for Calgary at all. Calgary was a UCP stronghold and NDP still got in quite a few key wins on that battleground.

Quote:
46 out of 87 seats are in Calgary and Edmonton, and more if you start to include suburban towns like Airdrie. Calgary leaning more conservative than most North American medium-large cities is what decides Albertan elections.
Last I checked, NDP has 14 ridings in Calgary. UCP 12. That's NDP majority, no?

The comment of Calgary leaning more conservative if the ridings is a bizarre statement to make if UCP hold less than half the seats in Calgary.

But this is the wildfire thread. Can we go back to that topic?

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-25-2023 at 02:48 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 05:39 PM   #320
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
This area is weird. There's a ton of granola, move here to live off the land types, then a bunch of NDP types who sold modest trillion dollar homes in Vancouver to move here for more affordable housing and spend the difference, then local hillbillies, and a bunch of retired Alberta oil patch people who have summer cabins in that area. All together it's a very strange mix, but the conspiracy nuts are strong. Just outside of Salmon Arm in Enderby was the area with the lowest vaccination rates in the province. Just two weeks ago there was a protest on the side of the road against teachers sexualizing children (????). Lots of trucks with big Canada flags driven by toothless Cletus. They'll park right beside a Porsche SUV and Mercedes. Just weird
That is SO bang on, it's funny!! But it's...community...and we love it, in all its eccentricity.