Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #301
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's what I mean by pacing... traditionally power armor was this godly awesome thing that you got late in the game to embark on the last portion like an absolute boss, after spending dozens of hours just desperately scrounging around in the wasteland for anything to sell so you could buy some cheaply made metal armor and maybe not die the next time some raider throws a spear at you. A lot of the greatness of the game is frantically trying to get your bearings in the world and figuring out a way to scrape by. Getting to be a superhuman tank from the get-go sort of defeats the purpose.

Bethesda's view of storytelling appears to be "THIS SUIT IS BADASS COOL! LET'S JUST GIVE IT TO THEM IT'LL BE AWESOMMMMME!" This doesn't surprise me as subtlety was never their forte.

Of course, I'm now criticizing a game I've never played.

Power armor is no longer new. There should be something cooler waiting down the pipe.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #302
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No Fallout 4 for me. Damn you Best Buy and Canada Post!!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #303
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, you actually did pick up power armor relatively early in FO3, you just couldn't use it without training...

<spoilers>

sorry too dumb to figure out inviso text

not sure if a spoiler, but the Armor this time around actually needs to be managed like a vehicle, ie rationing your suit due to power usage... so you may 'get' the suit early, but that doesn't mean you'll be using it continuously from that point onwards.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #304
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

WEll only 13hr and 15min till I can play it. Total crap that you need to ####ing download 25 gig of the game on PC.
Living in the country, that is going to suck up 90% of my monthly data better be worth it.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #305
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Didn't realize you could full on sim city sanctuary
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #306
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
WEll only 13hr and 15min till I can play it. Total crap that you need to ####ing download 25 gig of the game on PC.
Living in the country, that is going to suck up 90% of my monthly data better be worth it.
As much as the "all digital future" is coming, it is still a ways away.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #307
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Didn't realize you could full on sim city sanctuary
Oh yeah, collect all the scrap you can so you can build settlements, and mod equipment. I have complaints with the graphics, but I'm going to be spending a lot of time in this game just building stuff, never mind exploring and shooting raiders.

I already modded my power armor. It's useless right now until I get some power cells, but it's all repaired and painted in Minutemen colors for when I do.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #308
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I agree that the bugs are getting less excusable from Bethesda... I still love the game.

It gives me exactly what I want. It's more Fallout.

It's a game for the fans.

And if having a few bugs here and there is the consequence of Bethesda pushing the limits of what it means to have fun in a video game, I can allow it.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #309
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never played a Fallout game, but I love Elder Scrolls. Skyrim will always be a favorite of mine

This seems like its going to be perfect for me. It's just what I wanted it to be. I can already tell I'm going to spend way too much time with my settlement

I've put in a few hours today and haven't had any issues, though I do expect some bugs eventually. Not a big deal for me, no other company makes games nearly as involving and enjoyable IMO
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #310
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Power Armor? Ranger Armor was the way to go.

SPOILER (not much of one)

If I have to take the dog, I am going to be choked. You can't kill him by shooting him before you "greet" him, either - I wasted a half-dozen shotgun shells trying.

I don't want or need a companion, just like I don't want or need the power armor.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #311
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far so good. The world looks amazing and the story is solid thus far. I don't really notice or care about graphics, the game looks great to me.

The only issue I've had thus far is the power armor. I don't like the visual aspects of it and how clunky you are when you move around. I'll do my best to avoid it during the game if I can. Do I have to take the dog? I'd rather not.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #312
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

You can tell your dog to stay, not sure where he'll end up but you don't need to bring him

I'm hoping the armor gets better and more agile with upgrades. I don't think I'll use it much either way
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #313
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You can dismiss the dog and tell him to go somewhere. I'm not sure why you would want to, but the option exists.

Before you get rid of him, go back in to vault 111 and get the dog to search near the Cryolator. He'll grab it for you so you don't need to pick the lock.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #314
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's what I mean by pacing... traditionally power armor was this godly awesome thing that you got late in the game to embark on the last portion like an absolute boss, after spending dozens of hours just desperately scrounging around in the wasteland for anything to sell so you could buy some cheaply made metal armor and maybe not die the next time some raider throws a spear at you. A lot of the greatness of the game is frantically trying to get your bearings in the world and figuring out a way to scrape by. Getting to be a superhuman tank from the get-go sort of defeats the purpose.

Bethesda's view of storytelling appears to be "THIS SUIT IS BADASS COOL! LET'S JUST GIVE IT TO THEM IT'LL BE AWESOMMMMME!" This doesn't surprise me as subtlety was never their forte.

Of course, I'm now criticizing a game I've never played.

My snap reaction was the same as yours, but then I remembered Fallout 3 and getting the Fat Man very early, but only being able to use it once or twice before it fell apart - and you had to use it in that specific encounter.

That's the same as the power armor this time around. I used up like 90% of my minigun ammo and the suit got beat all to hell. No way I'll be able to use it for a while, and I'll have to make a concentrated effort to do so.

Though, I wish I'd taken the power armor out on some of these side quests... ran into a raider with low quality power armor of his own!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #315
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You can dismiss the dog and tell him to go somewhere. I'm not sure why you would want to, but the option exists.
I'm either so good at these games that I like to gimp myself to present a challenge, or I'm so anti-social that even an animal is too much company on my quest. Possibly both.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #316
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Got a few hours in on the PC version, happy so far. As for graphics, I'm disappointed that choosing your resolution is so difficult. I got my widescreen resolution to show up after going into the settings files, but the HUD is all messed up. I've also had some crashes trying to load up the game.

In game if you have the PC version there is a little cheat if you want that gun in the Overseer's office without waiting to come back at level 12, google it if you are interested.

I lost my dog. I had him before the power amour battle, couldn't find him or his body. I also don't care for the power amour and I'm not all that interested in the settlement building stuff yet.

Overall I'm still happy and once I can figure out how to set up 5760x1080 I'll be even happier.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #317
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying playing Animal Crossing: Post Apocalypse edition so far.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #318
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I'm enjoying playing Animal Crossing: Post Apocalypse edition so far.
Post-Apocalypse Building Simulator 2287

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #319
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

The building mode is highly addictive to me. I didn't think I'd be interested in it but I've just spent about 2-3 hours messing around scrapping and building.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #320
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say, did anyone get the Pip Boy edition?

Amazon is sending mine, but it won't get here for another week or so... just wondering is it worth keeping or should i try to sell it and just buy a regular copy of the game so i don't have to wait?

thanks
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fallout 4 , nuka cola , the lone wanderer