Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #301
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Question

Can storing your skis by the tips, hanging them, like this:

Have a detrimental effect on the skis?
I doubt it would make any difference. If you're good enough to notice a difference, you're good enough to not care about any difference (or you're a pro and getting a couple sets a year anyways)

Proper boots and making sure your bindings are dialed in is more important than ski tuning or any wear characteristics IMO
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #302
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
It's *probably* ok but rockered skis will warp especially if they're soft at the tips. Up to you whether you're really worried about the small impact that might have or not.
They will? The forces from skis hanging under their own weight is a fraction of those they experience while on the slopes. We store all of our skis and boards vertically and have never had an issue with any of it. If you're worried you could always put a set of bars at the bindings to take the load and use a second set of bars at the tips to keep things from falling from side to side.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #303
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I built my own horizontal ski rack using two 5 foot 2x4's and dowels. I drilled the holes using a forstner bit at an angle. I used a drill guide I got from Lee Valley so I could drill at an angle with my hand drill. It worked great. I then built one to hang the poles from. Cheap and easy...aside from the $40 drill guide, but I've used it elsewhere.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #304
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I doubt it would make any difference. If you're good enough to notice a difference, you're good enough to not care about any difference (or you're a pro and getting a couple sets a year anyways)
I am not.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #305
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I built my own horizontal ski rack using two 5 foot 2x4's and dowels. I drilled the holes using a forstner bit at an angle. I used a drill guide I got from Lee Valley so I could drill at an angle with my hand drill. It worked great. I then built one to hang the poles from. Cheap and easy...aside from the $40 drill guide, but I've used it elsewhere.
Photos please - in the makers thread as well!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #306
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fancy. I used a ####ty spade bit and some toothpicks for shims to straighten things out a bit.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #307
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

Ya, best picture I have, but I just used crappy spade bits with a handheld drill. Pound some dowels in, done.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 03:49 PM   #308
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
They will? The forces from skis hanging under their own weight is a fraction of those they experience while on the slopes. We store all of our skis and boards vertically and have never had an issue with any of it. If you're worried you could always put a set of bars at the bindings to take the load and use a second set of bars at the tips to keep things from falling from side to side.
IDK, some people say they can. IMO it's probably fine and if vertical is your only option I certainly wouldn't worry about it too much -- but if you have the space to do horizontal then that'd be preferable.

For example, here's Outside Magazine talking about being careful with a ski strap so as not to compress the rocker or camber. https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...r-winter-gear/) and here's another discussion on the Teton forums: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...onger-Rockered

Overall I imagine exposed roof racks and skiing questionable conditions probably do more damage to skis than improper storage so you do you. If it were me I'd sleep easy either way. But all things being equal, I'd go horizontal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-03-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #309
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have rocker skis, so I consider my storage system to double as a camber restorer for my ancient sticks.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #310
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Photos please - in the makers thread as well!

Here's the rack. Pretty basic. Bolted into the studs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #311
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is the drill guide I used. Looks like it's gone up to $50.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=46J8370
Old 11-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #312
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's the rack. Pretty basic. Bolted into the studs.
That is the same setup that I went with in my garage for snowboards and skis. Pretty quick and easy and a cheap solution.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #313
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome conditions out at Bragg Creek yesterday, what a day to be out.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #314
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Possibly coming out to Calgary for the Mac tournament Dec 27-Jan 1.

Want to go Snowboarding for a couple days, any good recommendations for a spot for me and my 2 daughters that’s fun. Should we try 2 different spots each day or just 2 days on one hill. Lift ticket prices not a huge concern but bonus if they are on sale or a mountain is cheaper.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #315
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Possibly coming out to Calgary for the Mac tournament Dec 27-Jan 1.

Want to go Snowboarding for a couple days, any good recommendations for a spot for me and my 2 daughters that’s fun. Should we try 2 different spots each day or just 2 days on one hill. Lift ticket prices not a huge concern but bonus if they are on sale or a mountain is cheaper.
For the shorter drive, I'd probably recommend Nakiska depending on the skill level of your daughters (good size hill for beginner-intermediate). If that's not an issue at all then you should check out Sunshine. They already have half of their runs open I believe, longer drive but there's so much to explore and it's a beautiful mountain with enough space to get away from crowds. Be prepared for $20 burgers and fries for each of your kids though if you choose to eat on the hill. Have fun!
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #316
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to Sunshine today, my first time going there as I usually head to Louise. My first impressions are that the runs are alot shorter and flatter at Sunshine, I'll go back once some more runs are open but I think I'll prefer Louise. Not bad early season conditions though, not too many rocks exposed

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #317
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to lake Louise yesterday and conditions were alright. Only the front side is currently open. They seemed to be having issues with the gondola, as it seemed like it would run, then not. Later in the day there was nobody in line there, so I assume they shut it down to people

The lift lineup was not too bad until around 11, and then it seemed like every other run we did it would be busy.

At the summit it was mixed conditions as there is stuff poking thru the snow. Some of the runs were closed as they prep for the World Cup races. Those runs looked pristine.

Day got off to a slow start for us as when we got there we had to line up to get our ski passes as for whatever reason they did not mail them to our house this year.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #318
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure anybody who needs this probably got the email, but Mountain Collective sale at $699 CAD ends today. Not as good a deal as the past, but value cards/Costco aren't a very good deal anymore either.

I hadn't noticed that they added Marmot Basin this year (Sun Peaks and Pano must have been new last year, too?). 5 resorts within 4ish hrs + Sun Peaks not much further than that.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #319
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked it up this year too, if you use CAD100 as a promo code you save some more cash on check-out. Planning a trip out to Jackson Hole and Big Sky this year too. So 4 free days out there made it a no-brainer.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:41 PM   #320
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the wife and i went out to lake lousie on saturday and i had a very frustrating day:

- had a huge issue getting left boot on as my toes kept wanting to curl under
- i seemingly tweaked my back while getting on my boots
- we went to the back side to ski larch and most of the backside is ungroomed - with the exception of the long traverse across the bottom to the three backside lifts
- we were coming down from top of the world and i was following my wife, she someone got into a treed area and i had nothing but issues getting out. i slid on my butt part way down
- some of my more favorite frontside runs were inaccessible due to the world cup races. As an aside, we were allowed to cut across one of the runs, and i was caught off guard by how icey it was on the run. I assume the racers like that for speed reasons

The hill itself did not seem as busy as usual as front side lift lines were quick. I'd assume some folks held off due to WC races

But all that said, i am now looking forward to our next trip there so i can redeem myself a bit