Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 07:47 AM   #301
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know about that. Everyone expected Conroy to announce Love as the head coach and he hired a guy that was really not expected to be a factor in the coaching race. Seems like he's following his vision and I don't think that he's going to let the Iginla relationship factor into the player he takes and I don't think scouts that have worked all year are going to just cross off the guys they scouted and loved because one of the other prospects last name is Iginla. The reality here is that if Tig had a different surname, we aren't even discussing him as a possibility at 9 so that will factor in with the decision making.

I think he looks like a solid prospect and wouldn't be upset if the Flames take him but I don't think it's a sure thing by any means.
I hope you're right and they go for BPA regardess. My feeling has always been if Tij is there, and unless Jarome has told Conroy "Hey, don't take my kid" for whatever reason he may or may not have, they'd take him.

I think there would be an underlying pressure with that pick. If they don't take him and he explodes elsewhere people would be asking how they could botch the obvious pick with Jarome in the fold.

Whoever they take instead of Tij could end up under more of a microscope too possibly.

I don't envy him and hope the decision is taken out of his hands with someone else picking Tij early or better yet, Flames winning the lottery.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 07:49 AM   #302
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all we know Edwards may have a hand in this with visions of jersey and ticket sales. Lots of factors to consider.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:50 AM   #303
Toonage

Exp:

That too. I said this earlier in the thread and I think it was a better way of putting than I did above so I'll repost here.

Feels like the fallout from not taking him and watching him break out elsewhere would be greater than the fallout of taking him here and having him not work out.

Of course he could always come here and work out beautifully, who knows.

But unless Jarome has told Conroy "no", I'd imagine if he lines up with the Flames in Round 1 its a pretty large chance they take him.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:59 AM   #304
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For all we know Edwards may have a hand in this with visions of jersey and ticket sales. Lots of factors to consider.
Man, do you ever have an agenda.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 08:01 AM   #305
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
That too. I said this earlier in the thread and I think it was a better way of putting than I did above so I'll repost here.

Feels like the fallout from not taking him and watching him break out elsewhere would be greater than the fallout of taking him here and having him not work out.

Of course he could always come here and work out beautifully, who knows.

But unless Jarome has told Conroy "no", I'd imagine if he lines up with the Flames in Round 1 its a pretty large chance they take him.
Which is the part I am worried about. That a better player is still going to be on board and Conroy is going to pick Iginla instead. I have nothing against Tij, I think he is going to be a good player but what happens if a player like Demidov falls to 9? Or Catton? What if one of the high ranked D men fall to 9? I just want them to take the BPA that also fits a need, that is a D or a C with the exception of Demidov who has star potential.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 08:25 AM   #306
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Man, do you ever have an agenda.
Not at all. I think it's something that some owners would consider quite frankly.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:28 AM   #307
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the exception of picking 1st or 2nd overall (which is what's going to happen ) if Tij is available and the Flames take someone else, there is going to be some very unhappy and vocal fans.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:31 AM   #308
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Which is the part I am worried about. That a better player is still going to be on board and Conroy is going to pick Iginla instead. I have nothing against Tij, I think he is going to be a good player but what happens if a player like Demidov falls to 9? Or Catton? What if one of the high ranked D men fall to 9? I just want them to take the BPA that also fits a need, that is a D or a C with the exception of Demidov who has star potential.
This may be the one saving grace oddly enough. Conroy clearly is creating a soft spot for Russian players to land in Calgary. Whether thats Demidov or one of the D.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:42 AM   #309
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go get another pick to draft tij with. Problem solved
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 09:18 AM   #310
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I just see this extreme example highly unlikely. Perhaps there's some preference. But in the highly unlikely event someone falls into our lap, I'd see it more likely the Flames move mountains to get another pick vs pass on a top 3 draft talent because of nepotism.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:29 AM   #311
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about that. Everyone expected Conroy to announce Love as the head coach and he hired a guy that was really not expected to be a factor in the coaching race. Seems like he's following his vision and I don't think that he's going to let the Iginla relationship factor into the player he takes and I don't think scouts that have worked all year are going to just cross off the guys they scouted and loved because one of the other prospects last name is Iginla. The reality here is that if Tig had a different surname, we aren't even discussing him as a possibility at 9 as winger isn't an organization need so that will factor in with the decision making.

I think he looks like a solid prospect and wouldn't be upset if the Flames take him but I don't think it's a sure thing by any means.
What's Love got to do with it, got to do with it?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 09:39 AM   #312
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Don't jersey sales go to the league and not the individual teams??

If not, I could also see some interference from owners to subsidize the loss of ticket sales with Iggy Jr. jersey sales
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:05 AM   #313
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not at all. I think it's something that some owners would consider quite frankly.
Owners meddling in their Franchise? never!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM   #314
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Go get another pick to draft tij with. Problem solved
Let me know what pick in that vicinity is up for sale and what that team would possibly want to move it.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:17 AM   #315
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Let me know what pick in that vicinity is up for sale and what that team would possibly want to move it.

Haha, easy there with the its not that far fetched.

NJ in a Markstrom trade. Possible but maybe not likely

BUF in a deal for Andersson. Seems like a possibility to me especially for a team like the Sabres that need to take the next step, an 11th overall isnt going to help for years but a top pairing RH dman (all of their top 4 are LH) would be a huge add for them.
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #316
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Haha, easy there with the its not that far fetched.

NJ in a Markstrom trade. Possible but maybe not likely

BUF in a deal for Andersson. Seems like a possibility to me especially for a team like the Sabres that need to take the next step, an 11th overall isnt going to help for years but a top pairing RH dman (all of their top 4 are LH) would be a huge add for them.
Buffalo maybe. But I suspect they may do yet another rebuild.

NJ should do it. I suspect they won't embarrass themselves by doing another deal. And if they do, it will be a 2025 pick. The same would apply for Buffalo in fact.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:30 AM   #317
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Teams that are desperately trying to stop losing:

OTT
BUF
NJ
DET

Valuable assets owned by CGY

Andersson
Markstrom
Weegar
Coleman
Kadri
Sharangovitch
Wolf
Coronato
Any other prospect

I'd rather not deal prospects, but I'd make anyone available for the right deal.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 11:32 AM   #318
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
With the exception of picking 1st or 2nd overall (which is what's going to happen ) if Tij is available and the Flames take someone else, there is going to be some very unhappy and vocal fans.
With how Rhett reacted when the Hitmen passed on Joe, I can't wait to see the Flames pass on Tij.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:51 AM   #319
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Considering where we are at in the rebuild, it would make a ton of sense for the Flames to be pushing hard to get another 1st in the range that Iginla would be available - especially if they use the Van 1st combined with another asset as currency. I don't know how likely it is but even if it's a bit of an overpay I would be 100% on board if Conroy were to swing a trade that sees us draft twice in the top-12.

This season proved we have good young prospects coming up, now is the time to take some risks and try to acquire more players that have the potential to be impact guys IMO. It would be nice to see the Flames make some kind of a reverse-Hamonic trade.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:56 AM   #320
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla at 9 seems like a solid pick no? If he is still there

Gary owes us a lottery though, new rink and all