Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #3161
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie the Whaler View Post
too much toronto stink on him
That's hardly an argument.

What is 'Toronto stink' supposed to be? They aren't the Oilers, I don't think they're necessarily flawed. The Leafs definitely have competent management.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #3162
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not against signing Reimer - as long as it isn't a long-term deal - but he has always flip-flopped from being really good to really bad at times. He hasn't shown consistency that you want to see in a goalie at his age yet - but is perhaps worth a shot on a 2 year deal. I wouldn't hate it - but I don't think he is much (if any) upgrade on Ramo (at least the Ramo that we know since the Flames signed him minus the start to this past season).

If it is a stop-gap, I would prefer the Flames sign a guy from free agency. If it is a legitimate average starter and better, I will be fine if the Flames give up solid assets for one. I myself like Kuemper, but that acquisition should be pretty low.

UFAs I would be interested in (in no particular order):

Ward
Reimer
Raanta
Khudobin
(MAYBE - he was awesome at the start of his career)
Enroth (if the Flames are looking for an experienced backup to squeak out wins)
Johnson (from Buffalo) - he has pretty good numbers for playing in front of a fairly weak team, but I haven't watched enough of him to form a real opinion - 100% guilty of stat watching with him).

I don't think I really love any of these guys.

Trade targets for teams carrying a starter and a strong young goalie possibly pushing for starter/or expansion draft risk:

Pickard/Varlamov
Vasilevski/Bishop
Fleury/Murray
Anderrsen/Gibson
Dubnyk/Kuemper

I am sure there are more, but just the ones off the top of my head.

Seems like a buyer's market to me, though some of the goalies that have been rumored available would probably still be expensive (Bishop).

Howard
I would entertain only if they do take Wideman and offer a serious sweetener. Howard would also help with the possible 25% rule for the expansion draft, so there's that going for him. Howard is probably a strong backup, and likely nothing more. I do think a team can have 1-2 over-paid contracts and still be competitive - not sure I want the Flames to use one on a glorified backup. Mantha + in return for taking Howard.

Dream trade (I don't do many of these.. so have patience):

Detroit:
Wideman

Calgary:
Howard
Mantha or Athanasiou
+B prospect or better

Calgary then sends Mantha or Athanasiou + 2nd for Bishop.

Calgary takes on salary for longer term - which sucks - but doesn't give up much to get a starter and a reliable backup that can play starting minutes 'decently' for stretches.

Not sure if that is enough for Tampa. Not sure if Detroit would be willing to give up so much to get rid of Howard (probably not - might as well keep him for the expansion draft).

Yeah.. nevermind.. I suck at fantasy trades.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #3163
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You keep saying this but that doesn't mean you are right. Reimer would be a mistake on a $5 million/season long term deal but at the right price he would be a solid addition to the Flames and a major upgrade on last season's goaltenders.
I hear you but that is the issue with Reimer. How much $ and term do you commit to a guy who has proven very little? I would go no longer than 2 years and I don't suspect that gets it done. I believe there is a good chance he is no better than a backup so you don't want to be paying starter money 3 years from now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #3164
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

What is 'Toronto stink' supposed to be? They aren't the Oilers, I don't think they're necessarily flawed. The Leafs definitely have competent management.
The Leafs are one lockout shortened playoff appearance away from being ten straight years out of the playoffs. There is definitely a stink. It remains to be seen if new management can scrub the losing culture out of the once proud franchise's underwear.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #3165
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a different kind of stink.

The Leafs have a history of acquiring more or less average players, hyping them way above their skill level, and plugging them into lineup spots beyond their ability.

The Oilers have a history of acquiring fundamentally flawed players, and trying to build a team based on a gross misunderstanding of what made them successful 30 years ago.

Average players don't need to be fixed, just played according to their abilities. Stajan was a serviceable #3-4 C for years after the Leafs traded him, and Phaneuf is an OK second-pair D. The Leafs called on them to do far too much, and they failed in those roles. (Pity they're paid so much, but that's another issue.)

Flawed players, however, need heavy coaching work to overcome their flaws, and even then, some things just aren't fixable. For instance, you can't give Taylor Hall a brain transplant.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 AM   #3166
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with ufas is that you have to over pay in money and term. Chances are Reimer is offered a 3 or 4 year deal from someone. There is a fat chance he signs a 2 year stop gap contract for the flames. I do not want the Flames to make that commitment to goalie like Reimer.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #3167
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
The problem with ufas is that you have to over pay in money and term. Chances are Reimer is offered a 3 or 4 year deal from someone. There is a fat chance he signs a 2 year stop gap contract for the flames. I do not want the Flames to make that commitment to goalie like Reimer.
I think that will be a short list. It's a buyers market this offseason, especially due to the expansion draft.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #3168
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I think that will be a short list. It's a buyers market this offseason, especially due to the expansion draft.
It may be a short list but it only takes one team. I hope it's not the Flames.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #3169
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

they won nothing since 67
the only time they came close is when we gave them gilmour. everytime we traded for toronto players in the last 20 years we suffered....
that stink!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #3170
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole "he was in the leafs system so he must suck" argument is bs. That's like saying that only teams that have won the cup or "won something" have good players...not true. Look at the Flames, they haven't won the cup in too long have been below average for a few years, would it make sense for a fan of another team to say "we don't want Gaudrea, he has Flames stink on him. They haven't won anything in 30 years". Bad teams can have good players.

As for Reimer, I don't thin getting him on a 3 year deal would be too bad. The first 2 years he'd be the clear cut starter but by year 3 it would be a 1a 1b situation with Gillies ready to take over. I'd be fine with Reimer for 3 years but if they went after Ward this year, I'd want a 2 year deal max.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #3171
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

IMO its only a buyers market if the league approves an expansion team. If no expansion team then i think Reimer and his agent will have the upper hand. After Reimer i don't see another free agent even remotely close to being a full time starter and I'm not even that high on Reimer as is. It would only take one other team to start a bidding war and i think that team will would be Carolina. If no expansion, i would figure the least amount of term Reimer could be had for is 3 years and i could see him getting 4 years.

I for one am really hoping for expansion, only for the sole purpose that the flames can find a legit starting goaltender.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #3172
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
The whole "he was in the leafs system so he must suck" argument is bs. That's like saying that only teams that have won the cup or "won something" have good players...not true. Look at the Flames, they haven't won the cup in too long have been below average for a few years, would it make sense for a fan of another team to say "we don't want Gaudrea, he has Flames stink on him. They haven't won anything in 30 years". Bad teams can have good players.

As for Reimer, I don't thin getting him on a 3 year deal would be too bad. The first 2 years he'd be the clear cut starter but by year 3 it would be a 1a 1b situation with Gillies ready to take over. I'd be fine with Reimer for 3 years but if they went after Ward this year, I'd want a 2 year deal max.
The problem I see with Gillies and MacDonald, is that, they are big guys and with the NHL, pushing for smaller pads and equipment, this may have a impact on their abilities to play in the NHL. I am just throwing this out, I may be way off.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #3173
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They do the "we're shrinking the goalie pads!" thing every year. It doesn't work, it's like throwing a teaspoon of water on a wildfire.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #3174
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
The problem I see with Gillies and MacDonald, is that, they are big guys and with the NHL, pushing for smaller pads and equipment, this may have a impact on their abilities to play in the NHL. I am just throwing this out, I may be way off.
Both these guys have athleticism to accompany their size, so I'm not worried about smaller pads, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #3175
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It will be interesting to see what the Penguins do. I would rather get Murray than Fleury, but I would be okay with either.

Murray is an upcoming stud who would fit in perfectly with the core of the team.

Fleury is a vet who could provide some stability. He is also regarded as an awesome teammate. The guys in Pittsburgh absolutely love playing in front of him and I'm sure would be quite sad to see him go.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #3176
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we are in a fantastic spot thanks to expansion and the fact that there are only 2 or 3 buyers. Teams must come to us and beg us to take their goalie rather than some else's.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #3177
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
It will be interesting to see what the Penguins do. I would rather get Murray than Fleury, but I would be okay with either.

Murray is an upcoming stud who would fit in perfectly with the core of the team.

Fleury is a vet who could provide some stability. He is also regarded as an awesome teammate. The guys in Pittsburgh absolutely love playing in front of him and I'm sure would be quite sad to see him go.
No thank you to Fleury, the guy has had multiple concussions and not mild ones either and that is playing in the East.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #3178
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No thank you to Fleury, the guy has had multiple concussions and not mild ones either and that is playing in the East.

The playing in the East thing is overblown. The guy is a goalie, it's not like he's getting run over with his head down every game.

On the same note, Patrice Bergeron has had multiple concussions playing in the east and I'm sure every GM would take him on their team in a heartbeat
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #3179
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
The playing in the East thing is overblown. The guy is a goalie, it's not like he's getting run over with his head down every game.

On the same note, Patrice Bergeron has had multiple concussions playing in the east and I'm sure every GM would take him on their team in a heartbeat
The West has much more crease crashing than the East. The main point is, why take the risk with the amount goalies available?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #3180
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am hoping for Pickard, seems to do well even with crap in front of him