Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #3141
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Gretzky also went to the finals as a 22 year old.
Crosby went to the finals as a 20 year old & won it when he was 21.

In other words before they won they learned how to win.

So far, the only thing McDavid has learned is how to lose.
He learned to score while losing!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #3142
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think after the next season we will see where he is. They will have probably the most cap space they have had in a bit after this season. Which means they will go big game hunting to prove to him they are supporting him. If after next season there is still no progress you will start to hear serious rumblings. McDavid will be starting the back half of the 8 year contract and probably doesn't have the appetite to wait a couple years for a Broberg, Bouchard, Holloway or future picks to pan out. Those 3 alone are a few years away as it is and they aren't a sure thing.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #3143
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think after the next season we will see where he is. They will have probably the most cap space they have had in a bit after this season. Which means they will go big game hunting to prove to him they are supporting him. If after next season there is still no progress you will start to hear serious rumblings. McDavid will be starting the back half of the 8 year contract and probably doesn't have the appetite to wait a couple years for a Broberg, Bouchard, Holloway or future picks to pan out. Those 3 alone are a few years away as it is and they aren't a sure thing.
I honestly don't even see that as much of an excuse for McDavid. The Oilers have Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto, and Kahun in their top 6. That's a lot better than Crosby had to work with at points. If McDavid is demanding 12.5 million, I'm not sure what he expects.

The only move they'll be able to make is buying out Neal and going after a legit #1 d-man. They'd probably lose RNH in the process.

McDavid is obviously a great player, but he seems to lack leadership skills. He doesn't engage his whole team the way previous superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin, or Kane did.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #3144
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I honestly don't even see that as much of an excuse for McDavid. The Oilers have Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto, and Kahun in their top 6. That's a lot better than Crosby had to work with at points. If McDavid is demanding 12.5 million, I'm not sure what he expects.

The only move they'll be able to make is buying out Neal and going after a legit #1 d-man. They'd probably lose RNH in the process.

McDavid is obviously a great player, but he seems to lack leadership skills. He doesn't engage his whole team the way previous superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin, or Kane did.
He does say "Let's go", what more can he do.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 01-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #3145
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Crosby also had Lemieux, Gonchar, LeClair and Recchi to learn from. Those are 4 great leaders right there. The Pens never expected him to walk in and take over the team like the Oilers do with pretty much all their top prospects.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #3146
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Crosby also had Lemieux, Gonchar, LeClair and Recchi to learn from. Those are 4 great leaders right there. The Pens never expected him to walk in and take over the team like the Oilers do with pretty much all their top prospects.
Instead they went straight to making him captain and used the leadership from a totally unfamiliar to the club UFA hire as an assistant to justify their decision. The oilers way!
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #3147
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. However, if you're going to demand league max, at a certain point you need to be the leader. With the giant cap hit, most teams don't have room to bring in another first line leader, you're that guy.

You see this a lot in other sports too. The new star demands a huge contract, despite not having accomplished anything but individual awards.

As much as you can learn leadership, it's also something you can't entirely learn. I'm not entirely sure McDavid has those qualities, at least not yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #3148
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Instead they went straight to making him captain and used the leadership from a totally unfamiliar to the club UFA hire as an assistant to justify their decision. The oilers way!
They made Ference captain before he even put a Oilers shirt on for the first time.

This is a club that continually does things backwards.

Which is of course hilarious.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #3149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IIRC they’d offered Crosby a C in at mideseason in his second year and he turned it down. He said he wasn’t ready. Then in his third season he took it but only after talking to Recchi and Roberts.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #3150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
For everything except elite point production. That tends to fall off before anything else does.

Not saying the players digress - they typically improve in other areas. But point production is a young man's game.
Crosby’s fell somewhat at 27 but he was still way above PPG and then threw out a 100 pt season at 31. Ad he picked up two cups in that period.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #3151
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

What would you have to do to win a Mike Smith lithograph?

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #3152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

I think your image is sideways.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #3153
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn’t paste right.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #3154
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Crosby’s fell somewhat at 27 but he was still way above PPG and then threw out a 100 pt season at 31. Ad he picked up two cups in that period.
In fairness to McDavid when comparing to Crosby, Crosby signed a front loaded 12 years deal for a $8.7 mil cap hit. This contract is illegal in today's NHL. If Sid signed 8 years for $88 mil and an AAV of $11 this could have been the difference of him winning those extra 2 cups.

But Sid would have made the playoffs and gone deep in the playoffs and maybe still won those cups. McDavid has made the playoffs once. He's 24 now and most generational talents hit their prime earlier than the rest. 21-22 usually is when it starts for guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Sid and so on. IMO McDavid is as good as he can be. Sure he can play better both ends or win more faceoffs but that usually comes at the expense of scoring.

The Oilers have big decisions to make next off season as they have lots of cap space but cap space if only valuable if you spend it wisely and huge cap space is overrated if good players contracts are expiring.

$25 mil to spend but Nuge either walks and gets $8. So it's more it's really $17 mil to spend and you have 13 guys signed (assuming nuge stays)

Yaomoto is an RFA too. Not likely he gets huge money but if he gets the better linemates like he is so far he could get a deal for $3+. This leaves $14 million and 9 guys to sign

Koskinen's play is a huge factor for the Oilers too. If he can't take the #1 role and excel I do not see them being able to sign a cheap back up. Pencil in $2 mil for a back up. $12 mil left need 8 guys.

If you don't have prospects coming in for cheap then you need to sign depth vets that usually come in at $1 - $3 mil a year. Bouchard is the only guy I see on the team next year. Maybe Broberg but he may need a year in the AHL first and I'm not sure you wanna run out a bunch of rookie dmen in the same year when your anchors on d are Klefbom (always hurt), Bear, and Nurse.

I just don't see the Oilers having space to sign someone good again next year even though it appears they might.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #3155
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think your image is sideways.
Fixed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #3156
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
They made Ference captain before he even put a Oilers shirt on for the first time.

This is a club that continually does things backwards.

Which is of course hilarious.
That one sort of made sense to me at the time. They at least realized that they were entirely bereft of internal leadership... They just didn't come to the correct conclusion that such needs to be developed and instead thought they could transplant it from a winner. Ference and Boston had just been on a cup run.

But yeah, generally they do the opposite of what most people would consider the right thing to do.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #3157
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Looks about right, Smith nowhere near his net.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #3158
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crosby is the most complete player to ever play. Yes, I went there.

McLottery is as one dimensional as them come. No comparison here.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #3159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
In fairness to McDavid when comparing to Crosby, Crosby signed a front loaded 12 years deal for a $8.7 mil cap hit. This contract is illegal in today's NHL. If Sid signed 8 years for $88 mil and an AAV of $11 this could have been the difference of him winning those extra 2 cups.

But Sid would have made the playoffs and gone deep in the playoffs and maybe still won those cups. McDavid has made the playoffs once. He's 24 now and most generational talents hit their prime earlier than the rest. 21-22 usually is when it starts for guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Sid and so on. IMO McDavid is as good as he can be. Sure he can play better both ends or win more faceoffs but that usually comes at the expense of scoring.

The Oilers have big decisions to make next off season as they have lots of cap space but cap space if only valuable if you spend it wisely and huge cap space is overrated if good players contracts are expiring.

$25 mil to spend but Nuge either walks and gets $8. So it's more it's really $17 mil to spend and you have 13 guys signed (assuming nuge stays)

Yaomoto is an RFA too. Not likely he gets huge money but if he gets the better linemates like he is so far he could get a deal for $3+. This leaves $14 million and 9 guys to sign

Koskinen's play is a huge factor for the Oilers too. If he can't take the #1 role and excel I do not see them being able to sign a cheap back up. Pencil in $2 mil for a back up. $12 mil left need 8 guys.

If you don't have prospects coming in for cheap then you need to sign depth vets that usually come in at $1 - $3 mil a year. Bouchard is the only guy I see on the team next year. Maybe Broberg but he may need a year in the AHL first and I'm not sure you wanna run out a bunch of rookie dmen in the same year when your anchors on d are Klefbom (always hurt), Bear, and Nurse.

I just don't see the Oilers having space to sign someone good again next year even though it appears they might.
The thing is, yeah they're getting a lot of capspace, but they're basically in the same boat they're in now.

Yuo're going to have to overpay for some talent, you have to decide if you want to keep some guys and then they're going to do exactly what they're doing now....which is just fill in the rest with ELCs and cheap washouts.

This strategy has worked wonderfully for them thus far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #3160
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Fixed.

I was thinking he should be the other way, flopping around on his stomach.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigpete For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread