Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #3141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I feel like just saying it’s a tie makes the most sense.
Absolutely. If I'm a fan of either team I want the game declared a tie and move on. There is no solution that doesn't result in the Chiefs being the clear winner of this unfortunate situation. I think people need to remember that both teams spent a week preparing to play that game and making them prepare another week and playing that game while other playoff teams rest puts both teams at a large disadvantage with injury possibilities as well as having to do an extra week of practice/preparation while other playoff teams are resting. Both teams would be best served to cut their losses and take the tie.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 08:23 AM   #3142
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If the Bill's and Bengals both win and the Chiefs lose, than a declared tie screws over the Bengals the most as they would end up 3rd, when they had a shot at first. Let's not forget the Bengals looked pretty damn good in the 6 and a half minutes of that game that did get played.

I guess the best scenario is that the Bengals and Ravens tie this week. The Bill's win, and the Chiefs lose. If those results happen than I think it locks the Bills-Chiefs-Bengals into the 1-2-3 seeds no matter what would have happened in that game.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 08:42 AM   #3143
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If the Bill's and Bengals both win and the Chiefs lose, than a declared tie screws over the Bengals the most as they would end up 3rd, when they had a shot at first. Let's not forget the Bengals looked pretty damn good in the 6 and a half minutes of that game that did get played.

I guess the best scenario is that the Bengals and Ravens tie this week. The Bill's win, and the Chiefs lose. If those results happen than I think it locks the Bills-Chiefs-Bengals into the 1-2-3 seeds no matter what would have happened in that game.
Yup....when everything stopped, the Bengals were driving the ball fairly easily and looking to go up 14 or 10 -3.

You cannot punish them because of what happened out of their control.

I think the only fair thing is to call the game over and award the Bengals thge win, then let the chips fall where they may this weekend.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:50 AM   #3144
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

The Bills also made quick work of the Bengals on offense before stalling outside the 10 yard line. The game was 7-3 in the 1st quarter. Definitely not enough of the game had passed to give the win to the Bengals. A tie makes the most sense.

Bills Twitter posted Damar Hamlin, 24, is still critically ill but "appears to be neurologically intact" and has "shown remarkable improvement over the past 24 hours," so things are improving which is great.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:03 AM   #3145
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The giants must be resting everyone as the eagles are huge favourites this weekend. Hopeful to see that Jalen’s shoulder has recovered well. I haven’t seen if they’re gonna move Mailata over or start bust Dillard instead.

Gardner Johnson is supposed to be back but also so is the useless corpse of Quinn that they traded for. At least he can eat up space while sweat is out.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #3146
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not sure where the RNG option is coming from, most reports I see now are the NFL is down to two options:

1. Void the game or declare it a tie
2. Push the playoffs back a week.

The RNG is not a great idea, might as well go to a coin toss for the winner of Bills-Bengals instead.
Here's a link to the terrible RNG idea

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...270736082.html

Quote:

Benjamin Allbright, an NFL reporter for KOA Radio in Colorado, said Tuesday the league is considering options for playoff seeding with the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals all in the running for the No. 1 seed. “The game from last night right now is considered suspended. And it may end up being a no-contest,” Allbright said on KOA. “That’s the idea that’s being pitched around right now as a no-contest between the two. And if a seeding issue comes into play after the Week 18 stuff is done, then they will use either a random number generator to not count a game and make it even on all sides.
At least that’s the current phrase that’s being thrown around, the current idea that’s being thrown around. Nothing has been determined officially yet but that’s the leader in the clubhouse right now, per a league office source

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 01-05-2023 at 10:15 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #3147
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update on Hamlin
https://twitter.com/user/status/1611021908849352704
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 10:16 AM   #3148
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda sick to think about this, but had he just been paralyzed the game probably finishes Monday and there's no unfair scenarios. But no scenario is fair now, every one of them leaves someone feeling the short end of the stick. Even now though, the Bills have not had a normal week for preparation, so even their game with New England is now somewhat unfair as New England has prepped as normal, while the Bills have not. Just a really crappy situation all around.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:14 AM   #3149
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not sure where the RNG option is coming from, most reports I see now are the NFL is down to two options:

1. Void the game or declare it a tie
2. Push the playoffs back a week.

The RNG is not a great idea, might as well go to a coin toss for the winner of Bills-Bengals instead.
The Bengals were up 7-3 with the ball and were marching. Really that needs to be taken into account. It was also a home game for Cinci. If they go with a straight coin toss, that would be an absolutely brutal way to settle things.

Maybe toss three coins. If two or three are heads, Bengals win. If one is heads, it's a tie. If all three are tails, Bills win. That would be a lot more fair way of settling it IMO.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #3150
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I saw on twitter the leading idea is simply scrapping the game, and using winning percentage for AFC playoff seedings now instead of number of wins. Seems to make the most sense anyway, I don't see when they'd make this game up otherwise.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #3151
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I thought I saw on twitter the leading idea is simply scrapping the game, and using winning percentage for AFC playoff seedings now instead of number of wins. Seems to make the most sense anyway, I don't see when they'd make this game up otherwise.
Saw something similar on PFT too. Supposedly this was a potential scenario that could be implemented during the two Covid seasons. Also read something from Burrow stating that although the Bengals would want to play the game they'll honor what the Bill's want. It's not a good solution, but it's simple enough to do.

Will be interesting to see how both teams play this coming week. Bill's might be so inspired to play for their fallen teammate that they look unstoppable. Sort of how the Saints seem to be inspired when they do something for Steve Gleason. They might also look like a team that's still a bit stunned.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:14 PM   #3152
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

####ing amazing news.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1611069792324096038
https://twitter.com/user/status/1611072050466013185
https://twitter.com/user/status/1611072434828103682
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #3153
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is an amazing turn around.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #3154
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news reading the updates on Twitter. Cognitive ability and motor function in his hands and feet. Improvement in other areas as well. Best quote I saw:

"It’s not just the lights are on. It appears he’s whole."
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:29 PM   #3155
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1611081746681937922

Awesome that his charity "Chasing M's", which stands for "Chasing Millions", has literally collected millions of dollars and is now over $7M.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #3156
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
It's likely the fairest way of doing so, although the Bengals, who were clearly rolling, end up with the short stick here. A victory over the Bills and then a Jacksonless Ravens team sewed up a #2 seed with a chance at the # 1 seed.

Now they need the Bills to lose to have a chance at the #2 seed, and no chance at all at the #1 seed.

I believe there is some thought that any playoff games involving the Chiefs/Bills/Bengals will be played in a neutral stadium if the Bengals/Bills, game, if played, could have changed the seeding between those teams.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:42 PM   #3157
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I feel like that scenario just hurts the Chiefs, you need to determine seeding.

Honestly I think a tie is the only decision here. It’s unfortunate and it was the right decision to stop the game but that was a decision that both teams played a role in determining.

Delaying the playoffs isn’t fair to the other teams IMO, making these two teams play on a short week makes no sense, and really just calling it a tie (or going by winning percentage) makes the most sense.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:45 PM   #3158
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The other wild idea I read was that if the standings go on winning percentage you can either choose a bye, or be the top seed. I'd go with the bye and the 2 seed myself, but that makes it a bit more strategic.

Sounds like if say the Chiefs had the top winning % they can choose the bye, but would start the Division round as the 2 seed. Or they say we'll take the 1 seed and take on the 7th place team and keep home field if we win.

Nonetheless it's really encouraging to hear of Hamler's progress in the last 24 hours. I feel a lot better about his recovery now than I did on Tuesday morning.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 01-05-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #3159
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Personally I feel like that scenario just hurts the Chiefs, you need to determine seeding.
I'm a Chiefs fan, they're not getting screwed in any way. Maybe they had to play 53 more minutes of football at the end of the year than these two. But both the Bill's and Bengals beat their ass, and they lost another game to the Colts.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #3160
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bills lost to Zach Wilson playing a whole game. The Bengals got annihilated by the Browns. Everyone has bad losses. The notion this whole thing benefits the Chiefs essentially assumes the Bills were playing the Texans (aka a guaranteed win) and not a team who can actually beat them (aka a top six team in the league). It really does suck how this has played out, but to try and make this right would screw more teams, benefit some teams etc...I think a void/tie does the least harm overall.

Tags
football , gambling , red zone