Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 396 62.86%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 165 26.19%
Not sure 37 5.87%
Climate change is a hoax 32 5.08%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #3121
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that I think they are part of the 1% or anything, but also good to keep in mind that most of the cars that are classified as SUVs these days are crossovers built on car-based platforms, not body-on-frame truck platforms. A RAV4 or CRV or Kona is basically just a lifted hatchback.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #3122
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
lol.

TAX, TAX, TAX.

Why not develop better public transit? Something that is actually proven to make a difference, and is the most likely way to reduce overall driving by everyone.

https://transportation.ucla.edu/blog...0air%20quality.
Man are you ever out to lunch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #3123
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Trucks are not $110k vehicles. We were specifically talking about SUVs, something most people consider a luxury vehicle.

I personally don't get the point of a truck either if you don't need it, but raging on truck owners without understanding context is hilariously pathetic.

And also completely ignores the problem.
You're the one that made the claim about $110k SUV's. Most SUV's are not $110k either. This conversation is in regards to "climate change and human responsibility". My point is that individuals can do more to positively influence global warming without it being a burden. We don't have to shield ourselves from taking responsibility for our actions and put all of the onus on China, India or other developing countries because that would be ignoring the problem.

I'm not sure who you're 'raging' comment is referring to but it kinda seems like maybe someone's projecting?
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 01:11 PM   #3124
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I don't have those stats. But there are also a lot of taxis, ubers, rentals and other commercial vehicles that are sedans, coupes or even hybrids or electric.

From a completely anecdotal standpoint up until recently I lived in Scenic Acres in NW Calgary. Almost everyone in my neighborhood, most of whom would commute daily to work, owned a pick-up truck. Everyone else, had a large SUV. Some had both. The only exceptions were one guy who had a Subaru Imprezza and another that had a Cadillac (which I had to help shovel out once because it's rear-wheel drive). All of the homes were large with large plots including lawns that required a lot of care. All of them could be making different choices and their quality of life would not suffer at all. I recently moved into a four-plex 5 minutes from my work with no lawn and I purchased a hybrid. I can honestly say that not only has my quality of life not suffered, it's improved.

I'm the only person on my block without a truck as a primary or a secondary vehicle. I have my little Crosstrek and feel out of place.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #3125
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty interesting video on the rise of SUV/Trucks and the policies that led to it

Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #3126
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol.

TAX, TAX, TAX.

Why not develop better public transit? Something that is actually proven to make a difference, and is the most likely way to reduce overall driving by everyone.

https://transportation.ucla.edu/blog...0air%20quality.
Honestly, I wish Calgary had a transit system like Chicago.

A passenger line into down town from Crossfield, Cochrane, Strathmore and High river. Sure it would cost billions, but it would also save billions in the long run.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 03:39 PM   #3127
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
This fancy and rather stupid chart means nothing because 'sport utility' means nothing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #3128
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly, I wish Calgary had a transit system like Chicago.

A passenger line into down town from Crossfield, Cochrane, Strathmore and High river. Sure it would cost billions, but it would also save billions in the long run.
I think the savings over the long-term could be quantified in more than billions.

But hey this is Canada, and we love to sell ourselves short.
Old 11-30-2023, 03:45 PM   #3129
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man are you ever out to lunch.
I don't think its out to lunch to suggest that investing in public transit is more likely to reduce emissions.
Old 11-30-2023, 03:46 PM   #3130
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My neighbour of 40 years has never owned a car. He’s only had pickup trucks. One I can understand for hauling their RV and carrying things (which he does a lot) but why do two people need two trucks?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:51 PM   #3131
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My neighbour of 40 years has never owned a car. He’s only had pickup trucks. One I can understand for hauling their RV and carrying things (which he does a lot) but why do two people need two trucks?
I have 3, is that okay?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:52 PM   #3132
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I have 3, is that okay?
One for each leg?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #3133
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And all you do is stick your head in the sand in the hope that everyone will believe you when you say fossil fuels have to go.

Hint - fossil fuels will still be around 100 years from now. Likely thriving.

What do you think it takes to make those fancy solar panels you think will save the world? Farts and unicorns?
The amount of fossil fuels that go into making a solar panel or a wind turbine is far lower than the amount of fossil fuels offset by using the green energy produced by that panel or turbine. And this becomes even more true as we gradually decarbonize our manufacturing processes.

If fossil fuels are still being burned for energy 100 years from now, it will be happening atop the graves of billions of people who died prematurely as a result of climate change impacts.

Quote:
https://phys.org/news/2023-11-world-...on-bottom.html

But, but, but I thought if I recycle and take out another mortgage to buy an EV that I am really helping the planet!

Shocker, I know that the same people who fly to climate change summits with their private jets and tell the rest of the world how we should live are actually the ones making this mess worse to begin with.
What you're saying is... people flying around in private jets is a horrible thing for the environment? So glad we agree.

But help me understand your thought process here. Exporting LNG around the world will somehow result in less people flying around in private jets?

If you have any ideas on how to achieve a reduction in overall private jet use, I'm all ears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This isn't fair.

I'm in Azure's camp, meaning that the conversation needs to be about the mid-transition. That energy source is absolutely LNG.

Neither Azure, nor I am arguing that net zero is not the ultimate target. The debate is how and at what cost.

Alberta will be off coal by Q2 2024 (Capital Power is behind schedule), well ahead of plan. There are new SAGD projects going into service next year that will dramatically lower the emissions of bitumen extraction. Suncor is repowering some of their sites from essentially burning bunker fuel, to lower intensity gas.

Things are moving in the right direction. It would be helpful if you'd remove your rose coloured glasses and recognize that.

The behaviour you exhibit only emboldens the far right and which is all too supportive of our Premier pulling the stunts that she did in the electricity file.
If correctly assessing the nature of the predicament we're in is "bad behavior", then I guess I'm going to continue behaving badly.

If anything, I'd argue it's your behavior that is giving the right wing exactly what it wants. They want us to believe that the entire scope of reasonable conversation on this topic is either 1) simply do what's best for the economy; take no climate action and scrap the carbon tax, or 2) take very modest climate action; basically do nothing beyond what we're already doing.

Posts like yours fixate on the idea that we're already doing enough on climate, and the current pace of decarbonization is sufficient. Well, I disagree. We can and we ought to do more. A lot more.

Look, replacing coal with LNG is generally a good thing. I'll concede that. However, the problem with making LNG exports such a huge priority is that there are costs (both money and time) associated with setting up the infrastructure in countries around the world to set them up for LNG use. I'm worried that these are valuable resources that may come at the expense of renewables R&D, and the expansion of green energy infrastructure.

I'm also worried that once all coal is replaced with LNG, the world will no longer have the same sense of urgency regarding the need to fully decarbonize. Once emissions are reduced, a lot of people will wrongfully believe that "the job is done" and there's "no longer a need for renewables".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That assumes people are willing to sacrifice the present for the future. The degree of which people are willing to do that is quite small.

I think that any widespread solutions to energy use will be economic base.

Why are electric cars becoming more and more popular? Because they are cheaper to operate than gas

Why is solar being installed? Because it is cheaper than gas.

The entire process of moving off carbon needs to be economically beneficial to people. The idea that people need to choose to sacrifice to save the world is a non-starter.
I've spoken to people in the geothermal energy industry and the one common theme that keeps getting brought up is the importance of carbon pricing. Simply put, the carbon tax plays a crucial role in making their projects finacially viable and their products economically competitive. I have absolutely no doubt that similar things can be said for wind and solar.

Without the carbon tax, a lot of R&D projects that are underway today simply wouldn't be.

Not only should we keep the carbon tax, we ought to increase it. In addition to that, we need a more flexible, streamlined regulatory framework in Canada to allow more renewable energy projects to get going more quickly than they do now.

Quote:
investing in public transit is more likely to reduce emissions.
A great idea. But again the problem comes down to cost. How would you fund it if it were up to you?

Last edited by Mathgod; 11-30-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-30-2023, 06:04 PM   #3134
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

@mathgod Thanks for proving my point.

If you are selling property in your black and white world, I'm interested.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:28 PM   #3135
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I have 3, is that okay?
Dunno, how many drivers/owners?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #3136
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Pretty interesting video on the rise of SUV/Trucks and the policies that led to it

Fat Americans like fat vehicles?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:48 PM   #3137
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Dunno, how many drivers/owners?
Just me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:15 PM   #3138
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
@mathgod Thanks for proving my point.

If you are selling property in your black and white world, I'm interested.
Your point seems to be: "sit back and let the O&G industry handle the problem, trust them to take care of things".

"Selling property" lol... that sounds pretty ironic coming from you.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:36 PM   #3139
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

Another great video on the topic.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:05 AM   #3140
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Your point seems to be: "sit back and let the O&G industry handle the problem, trust them to take care of things".

"Selling property" lol... that sounds pretty ironic coming from you.
If you really think that's my point, you haven't been paying attention.

You do you, mang.

You clearly have your mind set on what needs to happen, any opposing views be damned.