Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2024, 11:26 AM   #3041
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Flames trade up to 7th (Ottawa's) and take Tij Iginla.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:55 PM   #3042
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If you go back to the Virtanen draft, there were a lot of posters that didn't like Virtanen based on his apparent one-dimensional skill-set. I liked him in the first half of the season with his combination of speed, grit and shot - but then you go and start noticing that he seemed like a one-trick pony. IIRC, lots of posters didn't like him heading into the draft because of this. Also, I believe Craig Button had him all the way down at the end of the 1st round or into the 2nd round. There was quite a bit of noise around Virtanen that year.

The scouting community had the phrase "the two Jakes," both a reference to an ill-advised Chinatown sequel, and to Virtanen being either really good or really bad in games.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 12:59 PM   #3043
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
What percentage of season ticket holders go to all of thier games ?

I think it's safe to assume that on a nightly basis there are far more casual fans in the dome than hardcore fans. It's like that in almost everything.

Getting people to talk about the team brings in those casuals. Some casual fans have no idea how the team is doing, couldn't name 5 players on the current team but will still go and buy for the experience.

In short, Tij would bring that element more than any of the kids drafted around him. You want buzz, you want chatter, then go draft the kid of the franchise's most beloved player.
That wasn’t your original premise. You indicated most of the money comes from casual fans. Since season tickets take up the majority of ticket sales, that’s where the money comes from.

I think it’s far from safe to assume the Saddledome is filled up with casual fans. In fact, I expect it’s just wrong.

Casual fans get interested when the team is wining, and ignore the team when they are bad.

Hard core fans tend to support the team regardless.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 01:52 PM   #3044
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

***hardcore fans and Corporate seats***
Old 05-11-2024, 03:36 PM   #3045
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That wasn’t your original premise. You indicated most of the money comes from casual fans. Since season tickets take up the majority of ticket sales, that’s where the money comes from.

I think it’s far from safe to assume the Saddledome is filled up with casual fans. In fact, I expect it’s just wrong.

Casual fans get interested when the team is wining, and ignore the team when they are bad.

Hard core fans tend to support the team regardless.
And I still maintain that premise. The majority of the cash received on a yearly basis more than likely comes from casual fans.

If the majority of the fans that are in the seats on a nightly basis are casual hockey fans, they are the ones buying the 15$ beers and 19$ pizza slices, they are the ones buying the hats and overpriced jerseys. They make up the majority of the people buying the remaining tickets. The majority of corporate suites are also filled with casual hockey fans..

This isn't just for Calgary btw this applies to all markets in the NHL.

It isn't some far fetched idea to consider, hardcore fans make up for a very small portion of each and every fan base and contribute far above the others on an individual level. The problem being is that they are outnumbered 10 to 1.

Last edited by Flames1217; 05-11-2024 at 05:11 PM.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 04:29 PM   #3046
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
And I still maintain that premise. The majority of the cash received on a yearly basis more than likely comes from casual fans.

If the majority of fans are in the seats on a nightly basis, they are the ones buying the 15$ beers and 19$ pizza slices etc. They are the ones buying the hats and overpriced jerseys. They are the majority of the people buying the remaining tickets. The majority of corporate suites are also filled with casual hockey fans..

This isn't just for Calgary btw this applies to all markets in the NHL.

It isn't some far fetched idea to consider, hardcore fans make up for a very small portion of each and every fan base and contribute far above the others on an individual level. The problem being is that they are outnumbered 10 to 1.
The majority of cash the flames receives each year comes from season tickets sales, which means season ticket holders. Whether they give those tickets away or nor, they pay for them.

You are confusing who attends with who pays the bills.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:20 PM   #3047
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Flames trade up to 7th (Ottawa's) and take Tij Iginla.
I wonder if Marky would waive to Ottawa.

Marky + Vans 1st

for

Korpisalo + 7th OA
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 05:49 PM   #3048
Boumsalot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Drafting Iginla would be a huge ticket seller. I say we go all in and trade for the young stud no matter the price.
Boumsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boumsalot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 06:20 PM   #3049
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The majority of cash the flames receives each year comes from season tickets sales, which means season ticket holders. Whether they give those tickets away or nor, they pay for them.

Yup. Season tickets are the core of ticket sales and keep the lights on. I know they used to be in the 15000 range or something. Whether you count them as hardcore or not is up to your definition I guess.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:09 PM   #3050
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boumsalot View Post
Drafting Iginla would be a huge ticket seller. I say we go all in and trade for the young stud no matter the price.
Winning sells tickets not expending assets because of a damn name. I sincerely hope tij johnson goes before we pick anywhere.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:12 PM   #3051
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Winning sells tickets not expending assets because of a damn name. I sincerely hope tij johnson goes before we pick anywhere.
Not sure if this means what I think it does but here's a few anyway.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:56 PM   #3052
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
During a rebuild, winning doesn't sell tickets because there is not a lot of winning. You have to sell people on hope and hype for a few years. The Iginla name just naturally brings some of that and he isn't ranked highly because of his name. He is a legit prospect at around where the Flames are picking.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:08 PM   #3053
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
During a rebuild, winning doesn't sell tickets because there is not a lot of winning. You have to sell people on hope and hype for a few years. The Iginla name just naturally brings some of that and he isn't ranked highly because of his name. He is a legit prospect at around where the Flames are picking.
Projected top six wingers is our position of least need. If helenius or iginla or yakemchuk are there jr is third on my list never mind if catton or lindstrom or demidov, or buium or dickinson happen to fall.

Is he a legit prospect? Yes.
Equal or better will be there at nine at positions of greeter need.

So unless jr replicated dads career i cant see taking a winger if premier defencemen or centres are an option as benefiting us winning more or sooner than a great defencemen or Center; especially since we dont really have one of those great young defencemen or centers. Were picking top ten and we get a winger? Thats typical calgary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 08:51 PM   #3054
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Unless they sell those tickets. Then someone else is paying for them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:18 PM   #3055
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Not sure if this means what I think it does but here's a few anyway.
Seriously??

The point was if his name was anything but iginla we wouldn’t be getting ridiculous proposals to expend assets to move up to get him.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:27 PM   #3056
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously??

The point was if his name was anything but iginla we wouldn’t be getting ridiculous proposals to expend assets to move up to get him.
What ridiculous proposals?
Old 05-11-2024, 09:34 PM   #3057
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
What ridiculous proposals?
Using the van pick to move to 7 . Wasnt your proposal
Old 05-11-2024, 09:38 PM   #3058
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well to be fair he wasn't moving 9, just using assets to get another top 10 pick.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 10:24 PM   #3059
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Unless they sell those tickets. Then someone else is paying for them.
Actually no. The Flames get the money directly from the season ticket holder. What happens after that is not really relevant to the Flames.

And on the secondary market, tickets are usually sold at below face value.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:27 PM   #3060
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, it was a little ridiculous, but not for Calgary.

My spidey sense tells me you're not a Flames fan and would hate to see another Iginla crush your team.

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft