Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #3041
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a text from the Farkas campaign today asking for my vote.

Wanted to reply F-off, don't send me unsolicited messages.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #3042
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Unsworth meanwhile has "pro-union" and "academic" listed among his cons. LOL, "academic" is a scare word? By using that strategy, aren't you sending a particular message - "Hey, don't vote for that educated guy. Vote for me, the less smart guy". Unsworth is pictured with Gondek, this time actually together in the photo.
Strange times. I mean why would they list both “pro-union” and “academic” when the former already implies the latter?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #3043
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Strange times. I mean why would they list both “pro-union” and “academic” when the former already implies the latter?
the intended audience can't be expected to make that connection. two triggery buzzwords is always better than one.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #3044
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I kind of disagree. When the party/person comes to my door that I have zero intention of voting for, I want to eat as much of their time as is practical for me. The longer they waste time talking to me, the less time they have at other doors where people might vote for them!
Usually the same... but that only applies to normal politicians I don't want to win, for guys like this the juice of wasting their time ain't worth the squeeze of discomfort.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #3045
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #3046
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol.
You’re one of a handful of posters who I thought would enjoy that one
Old 10-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #3047
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Yet they are projecting DCU losing badly in Ward 13

I'll believe it when I see it.
Dan Maclean is the prototypical generic white conservative candidate. At civic, provincial and federal levels this area of the City votes massively in the Conservative candidate's favor. It's never even close.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #3048
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re one of a handful of posters who I thought would enjoy that one
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #3049
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Here's the ward by ward results.

https://www.commonsensecalgary.com/m...polls_released

Sean Chu? Are you ####ing kidding me? I hate people more and more every day. Get it together.
At least they're not confident in Chandler at all.

John "Chubby Hubby" Duta is only sitting at 4%. Disappointing.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #3050
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it was, you certainly bit
Old 10-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #3051
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Common Sense Calgary is a farce.

Want to know why?

Because their polling includes introducing their Ward front-runners as dubiously-coined "union-PAC-endorsed candidate", while having no such descriptors for non-progressive candidates. They even have this gem:

"In Ward 10, former Councillor Chabot looks set for a return, polling 44%, well ahead of the former staffer to Liberal minister, Marie-Claude Bibeau, and union-PAC-endorsed Abed Harb, on 13%."

No objectively-based non-partisan group would ever describe candidates like this - clearly a swipe at progressive candidates.

And their social media feeds are clearly on a partisan tilt.

While some of these Ward results may not be entirely far off, do not give credence to this ragtag band of conservative sycophants.
Releasing misleading polls like this before an election is extremely detrimental to our democracy. If this is the case, they should be treated harshly by whatever laws we can use against them. So gross.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #3052
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Releasing misleading polls like this before an election is extremely detrimental to our democracy. If this is the case, they should be treated harshly by whatever laws we can use against them. So gross.
The poll itself was conducted by Northwest Research Group. The editorializing of what the polls show was all CSC.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 12:06 PM   #3053
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The poll itself was conducted by Northwest Research Group. The editorializing of what the polls show was all CSC.
I just did a quick search, and they don't appear to be much of a polling organization. 538 doesn't list them as one, and they have hundreds listed.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Is this company at all reliable? Why use a US polling firm? Does anyone here remember getting a call from them? I'd be curious to know how leading the questions were. If it was commissioned by CSC it all seems fishy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #3054
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this company at all reliable? Why use a US polling firm?...
What's good in polling to begin with? Any polling is flawed on many levels. Why bother?
Old 10-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #3055
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just did a quick search, and they don't appear to be much of a polling organization. 538 doesn't list them as one, and they have hundreds listed.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Is this company at all reliable? Why use a US polling firm? Does anyone here remember getting a call from them? I'd be curious to know how leading the questions were. If it was commissioned by CSC it all seems fishy.
I guess it depends which Northwest Research Group they used.

There's Northwest Research Group, LLC which shows as being from Seattle. Really basic ass website.

Then there's Northwest Research Group which claims to offer "bespoke market research services to clients across Saskatchewan". Site is even more basic than the first. Domain has been registered since 2019, and the Let's Encrypt certificate was issued for a whopping 3 month expiry starting in September.

Either way it seems fishy as hell.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #3056
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Polls showing unpopular candidates in the lead or close should energize the opposing voter block. We've saw this in 2017 with polling showing Nenshi way back and I think it energized the moderate/progressive base. He won by 7.5% when some polls had him down by 17% to Bill Smith.

Polling comes up during every election as a quantitative measure of which candidate is in the lead and who is most likely to get elected.

FULL COVERAGE: 2017 Calgary election

A poll released Wednesday afternoon shows Calgary mayoral candidate Naheed Nenshi ahead of fellow candidate Bill Smith by 15 points.

This information comes five days after a poll commissioned by a different group had Smith ahead of Nenshi by 13 points.

A third poll, released Oct. 7 showed Smith ahead of Nenshi by 17 points.

According to Mount Royal University political scientist Duane Bratt, some skepticism over polling results is probably wise.

“When you see (results) all across the board — when you see one poll with Nenshi up 17 points and another with Smith up 17 points — that tells us neither of them are accurate. Either one is dead-on and the other is completely accurate, or there’s something fundamentally flawed with all of them.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3798338/c...ctory-results/
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #3057
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Polls showing unpopular candidates in the lead or close should energize the opposing voter block. We've saw this in 2017 with polling showing Nenshi way back and I think it energized the moderate/progressive base. He won by 7.5% when some polls had him down by 17% to Bill Smith.

Polling comes up during every election as a quantitative measure of which candidate is in the lead and who is most likely to get elected.

FULL COVERAGE: 2017 Calgary election

A poll released Wednesday afternoon shows Calgary mayoral candidate Naheed Nenshi ahead of fellow candidate Bill Smith by 15 points.

This information comes five days after a poll commissioned by a different group had Smith ahead of Nenshi by 13 points.

A third poll, released Oct. 7 showed Smith ahead of Nenshi by 17 points.

According to Mount Royal University political scientist Duane Bratt, some skepticism over polling results is probably wise.

“When you see (results) all across the board — when you see one poll with Nenshi up 17 points and another with Smith up 17 points — that tells us neither of them are accurate. Either one is dead-on and the other is completely accurate, or there’s something fundamentally flawed with all of them.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3798338/c...ctory-results/
The average of all the polls last time was better than anyone poll.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:46 PM   #3058
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I doubt the CSC polls are fake. But probably half assed and not particularly scientific. Few phone calls to random lan lines and boom
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #3059
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I doubt the CSC polls are fake. But probably half assed and not particularly scientific. Few phone calls to random lan lines and boom
You could target your calls to certain communities within a ward to really skew the result.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #3060
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Yeah, I wouldn't say that they're all out fake, most of the results seem to line up....but they probably did some trickery and bias in the questions (see: colour bars) because they have an agenda.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat