Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2023, 03:34 PM   #3001
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

This rebuild fantasy has to die at some point. The team is going for it with or without Lindholm. Gonna be a lot easier (and require a lot less of an ugly vet contract) to do it with.
Not sure about "team is going for it", I highly doubt that is the case.

I don't see the Flames as "buyers"

Rather, they are sellers, especially if they don't move the pending UFAs.

While their mandate is to make the playoffs, its done by a younger lineup.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:40 PM   #3002
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Not sure about "team is going for it", I highly doubt that is the case.

I don't see the Flames as "buyers"

Rather, they are sellers, especially if they don't move the pending UFAs.

While their mandate is to make the playoffs, its done by a younger lineup.
Lindholm signs and I think we see some variations of the Toffoli trade go down. They won’t sign Lindholm and then get pure futures back. Will be interesting to see what they do if he wants out but still don’t think it will be a true rebuild either.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 03:41 PM   #3003
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, it’s going to be a roster player and a pick. And while they can potentially replace Hanifin and Toffoli with youth, they have literally nobody to fill the holes left by guys like Lindholm and Backlund if they want out, so those pieces are either going to be coming back in trades or signed.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:59 PM   #3004
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maloney said they are not rebuilding and playoffs are the goal. Same thing with Conroy.

Its hard to understand why people keep saying we are rebuilding or hoping for trades that is futures based only. You are just setting yourself for disappointment and unneeded anger that they didn't do what you wanted them to do.

I am ok with rebuilding, but I doubt a lot of people could stomach the pain and losses that come with it.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #3005
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think re-signing lindholm would keep us competitive for a wildcard spot but not as a serious contender, putting us consistently in the 12-25 in the league for the next 5 years.
Could they make a run? Sure, but any team can.

With this in mind, I'd rather this team not re-sign lindy. If we weren't already married to Kadri and huberdeau I would have a different opinion. Unfortunately the old expensive forward spots are already taken.

He's a great player. He's not a player you build a team and sacrifice your cap structure over.

I think we should take note of the value the league is giving these older forwards around the league. Toffoli, hayes and Smith got traded for peanuts. Wheeler and duchene bought out. Do we want to be bending over backwards to keep lindy, or should we be taking notes?
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 05:09 PM   #3006
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team is not married to Huberdeau and Kadri. The cap will go up 10 million in two years and GM’s will be tripping over themselves to go pay anyone who can sniff top line minutes top dollar.

I’m not hugely for or against signing Lindholm but if you can get him at a 6 or 7 year term it’s a lot more palatable than 8 years.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #3007
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
The team is not married to Huberdeau and Kadri. The cap will go up 10 million in two years and GM’s will be tripping over themselves to go pay anyone who can sniff top line minutes top dollar.

I’m not hugely for or against signing Lindholm but if you can get him at a 6 or 7 year term it’s a lot more palatable than 8 years.
From the sounds of it he's not convinced to stay here with a 9x8 offer. If there's any truth to that, I don't see him taking a 6 or 7 year.

Not sure I agree that teams will be tripping over themselves for a 34 year old 7 illion kadri and a 10.5 million 30 year old huberdeau, but who knows. Feels to me like we're married.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:21 PM   #3008
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post

Lindholm will not sign for less than 8 years with the Flames.

The ability for Calgary to rid themselves of the Hubby contracts depends entirely on his production.

Teams are reluctant to take on the back end of contracts more and more.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:50 PM   #3009
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Maloney said they are not rebuilding and playoffs are the goal. Same thing with Conroy.

Its hard to understand why people keep saying we are rebuilding or hoping for trades that is futures based only. You are just setting yourself for disappointment and unneeded anger that they didn't do what you wanted them to do.

I am ok with rebuilding, but I doubt a lot of people could stomach the pain and losses that come with it.
I think the pro-rebuild section of the fanbase got really excited when it was rumored Toffoli, Hanifin, Lindholm, and Backlund all potentially wanted out or wouldn’t re-sign. It was being considered a forced rebuild by the players. With the draft coming and going it is starting to settle in that the team is either going to re-sign these guys, or make trades that keep them competitive.

I see Conroy in a somewhat similar situation as Feaster with the whole trying to get younger but also compete with their aging core. I think Conroy is in a better spot in the sense the Flames have some younger core players than the ones Feaster inherited and they also have a much better prospect base
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #3010
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the pro-rebuild section of the fanbase got really excited when it was rumored Toffoli, Hanifin, Lindholm, and Backlund all potentially wanted out or wouldn’t re-sign. It was being considered a forced rebuild by the players. With the draft coming and going it is starting to settle in that the team is either going to re-sign these guys, or make trades that keep them competitive.

I see Conroy in a somewhat similar situation as Feaster with the whole trying to get younger but also compete with their aging core. I think Conroy is in a better spot in the sense the Flames have some younger core players than the ones Feaster inherited and they also have a much better prospect base
Seems like the Flames are sort of where the Canucks were in 2018. Still committed to trying to make the playoffs but not actually good enough for the playoffs. Hopefully they do not do anything stupid like the Canucks and trade a 1st for OEL like the Canucks did because it is possible to slowly rebuild the depth with a bunch of 9-16th overall picks over the next 3-4 years.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:01 PM   #3011
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sense is Conroy really does value the draft so we hopefully don’t see the deficit spending
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 07:07 PM   #3012
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My sense is Conroy really does value the draft so we hopefully don’t see the deficit spending
I think he still makes at least one more big trade this summer and has a green light to trade at the deadline similar to how Treliving traded Glencross in 15 despite being in the playoff hunt. If he moved out two of Hanifin, Lindholm and Backlund before the trade deadline he should recoup 4 decent young (under 25) assets. May not all be picks but I assume some will be. If he keeps just the assets the Flames get by right for the 24-26 drafts the cupboards should be replenished.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:10 PM   #3013
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Seems like the Flames are sort of where the Canucks were in 2018. Still committed to trying to make the playoffs but not actually good enough for the playoffs. Hopefully they do not do anything stupid like the Canucks and trade a 1st for OEL like the Canucks did because it is possible to slowly rebuild the depth with a bunch of 9-16th overall picks over the next 3-4 years.
Well if the Flames best players who had careeer worst seasons continue to struggle it is a long painful road for the flames. If they are able to be successful then a return to the playoffs is likely. They had 93 points with Huberdeau scoring 60 less points than he did the previous year.

Canucks in 2018 were picking 7th overall and had picked in the top 10 in 3 of the previous 4 drafts with their pick.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:20 PM   #3014
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Well if the Flames best players who had careeer worst seasons continue to struggle it is a long painful road for the flames. If they are able to be successful then a return to the playoffs is likely. They had 93 points with Huberdeau scoring 60 less points than he did the previous year.

Canucks in 2018 were picking 7th overall and had picked in the top 10 in 3 of the previous 4 drafts with their pick.
Well they are down a net 21 goals so far with the moves this off-season, they has Kadri who had his 3rd best season ever and they had Backlund who had his best season ever. Outside of Huberdeau, Lindholm and Mangiapane most players had either the best season or a season that was above their career average. Some of those players will fall back and some of the players who were poor last year will be better.

Could I see Huberdeau getting 85 points, sure. Could I see Backlund getting 38, sure. I suspect those things will roughly even out (on the offensive side) with the overall offence likely being not much better than the 19th overall that they were last year. Question becomes whether they can be better than the 13th best goals against team.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:23 PM   #3015
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Well they are down a net 21 goals so far with the moves this off-season, they has Kadri who had his 3rd best season ever and they had Backlund who had his best season ever. Outside of Huberdeau, Lindholm and Mangiapane most players had either the best season or a season that was above their career average. Some of those players will fall back and some of the players who were poor last year will be better.

Could I see Huberdeau getting 85 points, sure. Could I see Backlund getting 38, sure. I suspect those things will roughly even out (on the offensive side) with the overall offence likely being not much better than the 19th overall that they were last year. Question becomes whether they can be better than the 13th best goals against team.
What happens if the Flames do rebound so some extent, are contending for a playoff spot next year?

Do we walk half out team to UFA?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 07:35 PM   #3016
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
What happens if the Flames do rebound so some extent, are contending for a playoff spot next year?

Well I think they need a plan that hopefully includes maximizing assets. I don’t really think they will be contending though if they walk back this same team. They are down 21 goals as a result of the Toffoli trade from last year. I don’t think even the most optimistic Yegor fan thinks he will pot 34. So they will be down something there, call it 12 goals (which would give Yegor 22 goals). I suspect they Zadorov does not get 14 goals again, doubt he gets to that number again, if you cut him in half that puts them down 19 goals. Doubt Backlund gets to 19 again, maybe shave another 3 goals there and they are down 22.

In order to be 10th last year they would have to have scored 20 more goals than they did. I don’t see where one finds 42 more goals with the rest of the lineup. You give Huberdeau, Lindholm and Mangiapane 30 goals each and you get 36 but that is a pretty rosy picture. That would get you close but you would need Coleman to get 18 goals again, you would need your forwards outside your top 9 scoring forwards averaging 7 goals each.

That Flames team last year had top guys who disappointed and 4th liners that put up pretty good numbers from a goals perspective. Flames had the 3rd most goals by dmen of any team in the league. All those things (both positive and negative) likely balance out and they will be a team that is not all of the sudden going to be a top 4, guaranteed playoff team at the deadline.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:54 PM   #3017
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

3 years after Treliving tried to convince Reaves to sign in Calgary, it looks like he will finally get him with the Leafs.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1674972970006065154

If you don't remember 3 years ago, the Flames brought in Reeves to meet the front office and tour Calgary as part of a pitch to sign him.

Rumored Flames offered 3 x $1.85 mil but Vegas won him by offering 2 x $2.775 mil
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 09:17 PM   #3018
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Considering what has been rumoured to have been offered so far, might as well. Cap space is an asset in itself. Can probably get better draft picks by taking on someone else’s headache.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:26 PM   #3019
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Nope. You trade them at the deadline and cross your fingers for the playoffs.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 10:02 PM   #3020
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post

Not to mention the patience that would be required for both management and the fanbase to accept mediocrity for a while. Would fans and management be willing to accept up to 10 years of losing to finally become competitive again?(especially with the new arena deal where the motive will be to sell lots of tickets to recoup its invested value)

Sure, it's possible that we could get as lucky as Chicago or Pittsburgh and draft generational talents very quickly after becoming a bad team, and be ready to contend within a few seasons, but it's just as likely that we could end up like:
-Buffalo
-Columbus
-Arizona
-Philadelphia
-etc.

Rebuilds aren't an exact science and for every Kane, McDavid or Bedard out there, there are a lot of teams that don't get lucky and end up drafting the likes of Lafreniere or Patrick to build their future team around.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote