Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #3001
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you check Seat Guru?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #3002
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Did you check Seat Guru?
Ah, I didn't see the "amenities" on my first check there. Looks hopeful for 340-600, maybe less so for the -300.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #3003
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to The Cook Islands - $1080 roundtrip after taxes

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-the-c...ip-after-taxes

I believe we've had some people ask about deals to the Cook Islands in this thread before. It usually costs around $1700 to get there. Very rare to see a deal from YYC to Rarotonga.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #3004
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Calgary to The Cook Islands - $1080 roundtrip after taxes

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-the-c...ip-after-taxes

I believe we've had some people ask about deals to the Cook Islands in this thread before. It usually costs around $1700 to get there. Very rare to see a deal from YYC to Rarotonga.
I encourage everyone to do this. Rarotonga is an amazing place, and everyone should see the South Pacific in their lifetime. I just returned from Fiji and thought it was paradise on earth. Rarotonga has even better beaches and Western standards of living. If you go to Tahiti instead, you're paying twice as much because it's a more recognizable name.

I may be purchasing this even though I was down in that area not just two weeks ago.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #3005
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I encourage everyone to do this. Rarotonga is an amazing place, and everyone should see the South Pacific in their lifetime. I just returned from Fiji and thought it was paradise on earth. Rarotonga has even better beaches and Western standards of living. If you go to Tahiti instead, you're paying twice as much because it's a more recognizable name.

I may be purchasing this even though I was down in that area not just two weeks ago.
And the Cook Islands seem to have some very reasonably priced (and well reviewed) budget accommodations as well...

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g30...ds-Hotels.html

^^ starting at around $45/night.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #3006
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure I posted in here about my Nexus card. Just to update...ended up getting my appointment bumped up to this past week. Applied on January 15 and ended up bumping my appointment to February 23. Pretty good considering my original appointment was scheduled for end of July.

Border agent said that Calgary is now the busiest airport for Nexus applications in all of the participating sites (including US). I guess it just recently passed Toronto.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #3007
spiteface
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hey looking for a round trip to miami florida, from calgary, from march 27 till april 3. no direct flights from cgy to miami? whats the next best option (stops-wise and cost-wise). thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #3008
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cook islands are outstanding and people should jump on that opportunity.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #3009
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Anyone have any experience with a long layover in Houston? We have 12 hours to kill in May, 530am-530pm. Any suggestions?
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #3010
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Anyone have any experience with a long layover in Houston? We have 12 hours to kill in May, 530am-530pm. Any suggestions?
Galveston's okay depending on the day of the week. The space center is also pretty good.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #3011
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
And the Cook Islands seem to have some very reasonably priced (and well reviewed) budget accommodations as well...

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g30...ds-Hotels.html

^^ starting at around $45/night.
Groan...I don't get vacation until August this year. Cook Islands were definitely on my list. On the bright side, I've been doing some research on the Out Islands of the Bahamas and they're looking pretty affordable. Looks like our choices have been narrowed down to:

- Poland (gf's family lives there)
- Bahamas
- Tonga
- Bali
- Thailand
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #3012
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone have any advice on when I should book for a 8 day trip to Los Angeles and California? I've been scoping out the deals on expedia for the last couple weeks and haven't seen much improvement on the prices. I've been to vegas many times but they have been on 4-5 night adventures.

I'm looking at leaving June 28, 2013 in the evening (after work) and returning July 6, 2013.

Here is my saved itinerary:
Traveling to Los Angeles Calgary (YYC) to Los Angeles (LAX): 2 tickets Fri 28 Jun 2013Calgary (YYC)
Depart 7:20 pm to Los Angeles (LAX)
Arrive 9:26 pm
Terminal 2 1,942 km
(1,207 mi)
Duration: 3hr 6mn WS
Flight: 1500
3Economy/Coach Class , BOEING 737-700 (WINGLETS) PASSENGER
Total distance: 1,942 km (1,207 mi)
Total duration: 3hr 6mn Traveling to Calgary #code-share { border:1px solid #ffb700; font:11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; padding:0 3px 0 18px; background:#ffeda1 url('/eta/icon_checkmark.gif') no-repeat 0 0; } Note: Your airport check-in is with WESTJET.
Las Vegas (McCarran Intl.) to Calgary (YYC): 2 tickets Sat 6 Jul 2013Las Vegas (LAS)
Depart 9:00 pm
Terminal 3 to Calgary (YYC)
Arrive 12:39 am +1 day 1,680 km
(1,044 mi)
Duration: 2hr 39mn AA
Flight: 5238
Operated by: WESTJET
3Economy/Coach Class , Boeing 737
Total distance: 1,680 km (1,044 mi)
Total duration: 2hr 39mn
and staying at these hotels
Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground1380 S Harbor Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92802
United States of America
Check in: Fri 28-Jun-2013
Check out: Mon 1-Jul-2013
Hotel Class: More lodging infoRoom description: Accessible King nonsmoking
Includes: Free Parking, Free Wireless Internet
Unless specified otherwise, rates are quoted in Canadian dollars.The price you selected DOES NOT include any applicable service fees, charges for optional incidentals (such as minibar snacks or telephone calls) or regulatory surcharges. The lodging facility will assess these fees, charges and surcharges upon check-out.Las Vegas: 1 room for 5 nights Wynn Las Vegas3131 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89109
United States of America
Check in: Mon 1-Jul-2013
Check out: Sat 6-Jul-2013

Hotel Class: More lodging infoMandatory Hotel-Imposed fees:The following mandatory hotel-imposed fees are charged and collected by the hotel either at check-in or check-out.
  • Resort fee: USD 25 per accommodation, per night
Price: Traveler and cost summary2 Adults C$1,822.97
Flight taxes/fees, Taxes & Fees C$438.00Total C$2,260.97

Should I wait or just book?
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #3013
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's an outstanding deal to Raro.
I spent $1800 a couple years ago.

Love the Cooks. I reiterate what others have said, visiting a South Pacific Island should be on everyone's bucket list.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #3014
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

UPDATE: Looks like the cheap flights to the Cook Islands from May 12 to May 25 have sold out.

May 19 to June 01 is still at $1080. Or May 26 to June 08. Or June 02 to June 15.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #3015
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey Cmyden,

I'm looking for a flight and potentially hotel package to Vegas from Ottawa for the May long weekend. Most likely looking for a May 23 to 26 package. Any tips would be awesome, thanks!
kobasew19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3016
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
Hey Cmyden,

I'm looking for a flight and potentially hotel package to Vegas from Ottawa for the May long weekend. Most likely looking for a May 23 to 26 package. Any tips would be awesome, thanks!

Might have trouble finding a decent deals during those days you chose. Depending on if you want a cheap hotel to top notch you are looking anywhere from 700 to 1100.
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #3017
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
Hey Cmyden,

I haven't added a guide for Ottawa to Vegas packages yet, but the advice in this guide for Vancouver to Las Vegas packages would be fairly similar for the most part...

http://yvrdeals.com/how-to-get-the-b...ouver-to-vegas

The advice from nearby U.S. airports won't be very relevant, but you can take a look at packages from Watertown (ART) and Syracuse (SYR). Although I don't think the flight cost (and therefore package cost) will usually be a large enough difference to be worth the drive.

The biggest limiting factor will be the fact that you're looking at the long weekend, where the demand significantly drives up both flight prices to/from Vegas, and hotel costs in Vegas.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #3018
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That Cook Islands fare is so tempting. Promised the fiancee I would take her there for our honeymoon, but we aren't getting married til next year. Would it be bad form to go on the honeymoon a year before the wedding? Aitutaki is seriously the most amazing place I have ever been on this planet.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #3019
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfire999 View Post
Anyone have any advice on when I should book for a 8 day trip to Los Angeles and California? I've been scoping out the deals on expedia for the last couple weeks and haven't seen much improvement on the prices. I've been to vegas many times but they have been on 4-5 night adventures.

I'm looking at leaving June 28, 2013 in the evening (after work) and returning July 6, 2013.

Here is my saved itinerary:
Traveling to Los Angeles Calgary (YYC) to Los Angeles (LAX): 2 tickets Fri 28 Jun 2013Calgary (YYC)
Depart 7:20 pm to Los Angeles (LAX)
Arrive 9:26 pm
Terminal 2 1,942 km
(1,207 mi)
Duration: 3hr 6mn WS
Flight: 1500
3Economy/Coach Class , BOEING 737-700 (WINGLETS) PASSENGER
Total distance: 1,942 km (1,207 mi)
Total duration: 3hr 6mn Traveling to Calgary #code-share { border:1px solid #ffb700; font:11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; padding:0 3px 0 18px; background:#ffeda1 url('/eta/icon_checkmark.gif') no-repeat 0 0; } Note: Your airport check-in is with WESTJET.
Las Vegas (McCarran Intl.) to Calgary (YYC): 2 tickets Sat 6 Jul 2013Las Vegas (LAS)
Depart 9:00 pm
Terminal 3 to Calgary (YYC)
Arrive 12:39 am +1 day 1,680 km
(1,044 mi)
Duration: 2hr 39mn AA
Flight: 5238
Operated by: WESTJET
3Economy/Coach Class , Boeing 737
Total distance: 1,680 km (1,044 mi)
Total duration: 2hr 39mn
and staying at these hotels
Anaheim, CA 92802
United States of America
Unless specified otherwise, rates are quoted in Canadian dollars.The price you selected DOES NOT include any applicable service fees, charges for optional incidentals (such as minibar snacks or telephone calls) or regulatory surcharges. The lodging facility will assess these fees, charges and surcharges upon check-out.Las Vegas: 1 room for 5 nights Wynn Las Vegas3131 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89109
United States of America
Check in: Mon 1-Jul-2013
Check out: Sat 6-Jul-2013

Hotel Class: More lodging infoMandatory Hotel-Imposed fees:The following mandatory hotel-imposed fees are charged and collected by the hotel either at check-in or check-out.
  • Resort fee: USD 25 per accommodation, per night
Price: Traveler and cost summary2 Adults C$1,822.97
Flight taxes/fees, Taxes & Fees C$438.00Total C$2,260.97

Should I wait or just book?

If you are going to stay in Anaheim, I suggest staying at the Best Western Plus Meridian Inns & Suites. Stayed there on my last trip and LOVED it. Cheapest option and right by the freeway for easy travel and the Outlets at Orange so the wife could shop. Highly recommend them!
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #3020
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Galveston's okay depending on the day of the week. The space center is also pretty good.
Looked at doing both of those, but we won't have access to a car so the cab fare would be crazy. Hoping for something closer to the airport...which seems to be about as exciting as the area around YYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfire999 View Post
Anaheim, CA 92802
United States of America
Unless specified otherwise, rates are quoted in Canadian dollars.The price you selected DOES NOT include any applicable service fees, charges for optional incidentals (such as minibar snacks or telephone calls) or regulatory surcharges. The lodging facility will assess these fees, charges and surcharges upon check-out.
I've had family stay at this hotel before and they've loved it. I've stopped in and the rooms are very nice for a moderate hotel. Super close to Disneyland and easy freeway access. Plus the restaurant (Mimi's) in the parking lot has some great greasy breakfast food. It is a very family oriented hotel (as most hotels in Anaheim are) so be prepared for lots of screaming kids, especially if your room is close to their water play structure.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote