Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2024, 07:11 PM   #2981
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
With all the media around the recall and the very low approval rating there wasn’t much doubt. The wife and I were standing on the concourse before the game and ran into some friends and they mentioned she was part of the puck drop and the first thing I thought of was “yikes, she is going to get boo’d badly”. It was real loud in our section.
There lies the real problem, the recall is just BS way to build an email list for Take Back Alberta and The UCP. Drumming up the dummies is their plan and the dolts sing every chance they get.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #2982
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Now if it was Chu? Boo the #### outta him. The recall petition should be getting done for his pedo-ass.
This is what grinds my gears on the current discourse. Calgarians up in arms about Gondek (even though she's one vote on Council) but quiet as a mouse on monsters like Chu. Gondek gets the vitriol, Chu gets the shoulder shrug.

Selective stories and context being pushed by groups like TBA and conservative action committees gets big cadence in the Alberta news stream.

Dollars to donuts at least half of those people booing are apolitical and had no idea why she was being booed and joined in anyway, because the political wonks are always breathing the loudest hot air.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:20 PM   #2983
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default MF YYC Politics - there, I mega did it

Hey, I am still willing to front the cash for a Chu recall if somebody in his ward does the leg work.

You put a sign in my lawn against my wishes, I will never forget that.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:27 PM   #2984
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You put a sign in my lawn against my wishes, I will never forget that.
You put a sign in our lawn without our consent! This,

Spoiler!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:55 PM   #2985
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw that one of the reasons stated for the Gondek recall was that she was mean to Sean Chu. When you’re upset about people being mean to child molesters, that basically shows everybody who you are.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57 PM   #2986
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
You put a sign in our lawn without our consent! This,

Spoiler!

He is no a stranger to ignoring consent.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 08:41 AM   #2987
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else find it weird some HVAC guy who claims to own a business has the time and money to put together a bunch of vexatious recall campaigns? Apparently he's going after Demong next.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:46 AM   #2988
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Anyone else find it weird some HVAC guy who claims to own a business has the time and money to put together a bunch of vexatious recall campaigns? Apparently he's going after Demong next.
It isn't just "blue collar Joe Alberta", that's for sure. The links to well-funded, hard-right conservative groups was always suspected, and has since been proven, with some discussion a few weeks back in this thread.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:01 AM   #2989
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
The mayor got quite the reception at the Flames game the other night. I just watched it on the news. Yikes.
Okay, they shouldnt have boo'ed her. I even voted for her and I'm not a Political fan of hers, but I'd probably still have just clapped respectfully.

Secondly, how did Beasley intro her? Was it clear that it was for South Asian Heritage night (which I've never heard of before but thats irrelevant)?

I mean, how hilarious would it have been if Beasley intro'd her: "And your Mayor, Jyoti Gondek who is here to represent her heritage for South East Asian Heritage night!! So...fans...BE GOOD!!"

And I wonder why she got boo'ed. She might not be in favour with hockey fans? I know a lot of Calgarians don't like her as Mayor for a variety of reasons without mentioning the word 'Arena.'

I just find it strange. I'm not sure that I'd boo anyone at the intro of a hockey game. Certain players returning when the game is on? Sure. They've signed up for that, its part of the game.

Or maybe the world is just slowly sliding into Hell and we'd best just deal with it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #2990
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was at the Flames game. It was clearly labelled South Asian Celebration.

For the mayor, do whatever you want. Boo, cheer... she should be able to take it but I certainly don't have the energy to boo like that.

For the mouthbreathers who KEPT on booing? I hope you spend a lifetime stepping on sharp legos barefoot.

Why? Because it took the moment completely away from the people who were celebrating.

I met Dampy Brar a while ago. He's a good dude. His Willie O'Ree award proves that along with the countless things he does quietly for the community.

Zoe Harveen Kaur Sihota designed the logo. Imagine putting that thought/energy into the logo, having the honour and how much you were looking forward to that night.

Raghav grew up in Alberta and made a life for himself outside Calgary but still loved it here.

Now, no one is talking about these people but they needed the negativity to feel good about themselves. Go to hell.

Last edited by sketchyt; 04-02-2024 at 11:06 AM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 10:15 AM   #2991
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
With all the media around the recall and the very low approval rating there wasn’t much doubt. The wife and I were standing on the concourse before the game and ran into some friends and they mentioned she was part of the puck drop and the first thing I thought of was “yikes, she is going to get boo’d badly”. It was real loud in our section.
Yeah, it was a bad idea and not unexpected.

EDIT: For more context, you're trotting out a mayor who led a city council who is increasing taxes by almost 10% this year, recently instituted a bag tax that went so badly it had to be quickly revoked in panic (but it's still in effect while their process drags out), who apparently is the most unpopular Calgary mayor in history (with a popularity continuing to straight-line trend track further into the ground), and is now facing a highly publicized recall process signed by tens of thousands of people.

With those things in mind, it didn't matter what the Canadian city or who the mayor is. Given this track record, yeah they're almost certainly going to get booed rightly or wrongly.

Last edited by chemgear; 04-02-2024 at 11:03 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 10:28 AM   #2992
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I don’t get this at all. I had no idea she’d get boo’d. She hasn’t been wonderful but there is zero reason to boo her.

It was an embarrassment by the city
It was 100% foreseeable. How do you not see that. I voted for her, not a fan of her now but I actually respect her for that. That is ballsy. Chose to go into the Lion's Den. I bet she isn't as "heartbroken" and "embarrassed" as people are for her. I think some think its disgusting because she is a women, its worse to be offended worse for her because she's a women. Women don't need to be protected by men, they can take a little booing just like Gary Bettman does.

No doubt there is a family from Germany that had tickets to fly here in the summer for a vacation that are now cancelling because of this embarrassment.

When I first read "Mayor Gondek dropping the puck" I instantly had cringey feelings that it wouldn't go well.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 11:00 AM   #2993
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
He (and the people financially supporting him) could barely get 50,000 signatures for the Mayor and now they are going to try Demong? Would they even get 500? What an utter waste of time. Ridiculous that the city has to foot the bill to count and verify these signatures too.
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:02 AM   #2994
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This guy has "useful idiot" written all over him.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:14 AM   #2995
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Petitions work all the time. The second the word petition is uttered you know the person is a fataing idiot. Go back to Degrassi there buds.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:24 AM   #2996
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They’re going after the trickle-down members of council now too? Is McLean next?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:36 AM   #2997
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think booing politicians in public will make it harder to get good people to sign up next time.

I voted Gondek on strategic grounds (anybody but Farkas), and I'm hoping we get some better realistic options next time around, because I don't think she's been good. IMO making it terrible to be in public service works against that goal.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 01:21 PM   #2998
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think booing politicians in public will make it harder to get good people to sign up next time.

Even without the booing at this event, most competent, intelligent people wouldn't want to do it.

The pay isn't strong enough to deal with 365, 24/7 scrutiny you get from the public; as well as the threats you likely get from the crazies. When things are good, it's not that bad, but when things are tough for a lot of the population, it can be a very thankless, and underpaid job.

You can make more in the private sector, with less spotlight. But for some that run for office, they wouldn't have the qualifications to do that, so becoming a population can be an avenue that can fill their pockets, and build connections. Not saying that's the case for Gondek. I believe she has strong academic qualifications, as did Nenshi. Those two ran for mayor because they genuinely want to make a positive impact on a city they live and care for.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:26 PM   #2999
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think anybody goes into politics for the money. Even people who have political values you hate believe they’re serving the community and making it a better place. That’s the draw. Along with the ego stroke.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM   #3000
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There's certainly a segment of society that would not/could not go into politics, but will spend their entirety demonizing those who do, especially those they disagree with.

No sane person should want to go into the snake pit that is politics today unless you've got a diamond tough skin and an unwavering commitment to public service. I think the less fatiguing path is waiting for politicians to get replaced by AI. Hopefully it will happen in my lifetime.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote