Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #2981
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
And with all that playing between the the dots, Sean had 1 more playoff goal than Derek Forbort.
8 points in 10 games, tied with “playoff stud” Sam Bennett for team lead.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #2982
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Friedman, Mackenzie, Kypreos all had him linked to the Oil
No, they all had them in on him. There is a difference. Everybody reported both Alberta teams had made offers. That was common news. That is a huge jump from claiming BT is actively shopping Gaudreau or Monahan. I would have to hear the clip where he talks about this to be sure the OP about this did not twist what he said.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 PM   #2983
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not so keen on trading Monahan. He is a decent faceoff guy that is making strides away from the puck. The guy can just score at the NHL level, which is hard to do. He probably passes Getzlaf's career goal totals before he is 30. Trade him away and the focus shifts to finding another player that can score.

Need a decent plan if he is traded, because if doesn't work, it will be like a time warp where the team will be spending another decade trying to find a centre for their star winger.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #2984
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Which? could apply to both?
Johnny
Old 10-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #2985
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Listening to the radio guys on the way home as often get to do. They are blazing away at the lack of cap space and how will we ever make this work on just 5.7 million. Do those guys ever do any real math?

Calgary has 17 players and need 5-6 more of course. If they took a look they first realize that Domingue is listed like we have 3 goalies and we don't. Minor because he's league min $700,000 and team still needs to get to min 22 players.

5x 700,000 = $3.5 mil.
That leaves 2.2 for Mangiapane plus he would account for one of the $700,000 spots so could be paid as high as 2.9 mil and 4 more league mins. Personnally I wouldn't pay Mangiapane that level yet especially now. He's good but 17 goals and 15 assists in 68 games is 1.75 x 2 money IMHO.

They can field a team and still make do. Treliving can wait for other 6-8 teams to get antsy and make a favorable trade or just sit tight and watch.

Got to admit I don't do the play GM thing but it sure would be nice to acquire a large fast hard shooting winger somehow.

Also worth noting Gio's 6.75 mil comes off the books when both Gaudreau and Tkachuk are due new contracts. If the team wants to it will be no problem keeping them when that time comes and if Guadreau is still a Flame of course.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #2986
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steinberg doesn't report things without having some knowledge about it.
Just because one disagrees with what he is saying, there is no need to besmirch him.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #2987
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Listening to the radio guys on the way home as often get to do. They are blazing away at the lack of cap space and how will we ever make this work on just 5.7 million. Do those guys ever do any real math?

Calgary has 17 players and need 5-6 more of course. If they took a look they first realize that Domingue is listed like we have 3 goalies and we don't. Minor because he's league min $700,000 and team still needs to get to min 22 players.

5x 700,000 = $3.5 mil.
That leaves 2.2 for Mangiapane plus he would account for one of the $700,000 spots so could be paid as high as 2.9 mil and 4 more league mins. Personnally I wouldn't pay Mangiapane that level yet especially now. He's good but 17 goals and 15 assists in 68 games is 1.75 x 2 money IMHO.

They can field a team and still make do. Treliving can wait for other 6-8 teams to get antsy and make a favorable trade or just sit tight and watch.

Got to admit I don't do the play GM thing but it sure would be nice to acquire a large fast hard shooting winger somehow.

Also worth noting Gio's 6.75 mil comes off the books when both Gaudreau and Tkachuk are due new contracts. If the team wants to it will be no problem keeping them when that time comes and if Guadreau is still a Flame of course.
Your opinion on the 17 goals only being worth 1.75M is highly debatable - it's 17 even strength goals while playing under 14 minutes a night. That's better than Monahan in 4+ less minutes per night. Mangiapane also faces the 3rd toughest competition behind only Lindholm and Tkachuk.

Mangiapane is more of a core piece than Monahan is going forward in my eyes. Mangiapane is one of those players you lock in at a good dollar figure for long-term in the same way we did with Andersson (even moreso with Mangiapane than Andersson). He's a Tyler Johnson/Alex Killorn/Ondrej Palat/Yanni Gourde type player. Lock him for 6 years, get all of his prime years - he's a guy we can win with.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #2988
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sorry man, saying Mangiapane is more of a core piece than Monahan going forward is laughable at this point. Monahan is so underrated.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #2989
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Sorry man, saying Mangiapane is more of a core piece than Monahan going forward is laughable at this point. Monahan is so underrated.
Gaudreau and Monahan are crap remember..?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #2990
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To this point, yes. Going forward, I'm not sold anymore. Monahan needs one hell of a bounce back year as he was just bad in 2019/2020 - alongside Johnny. Both guys have also continually failed this team in the playoffs during important 5v5 play.

To me, it makes total sense that both Monahan and Gaudreau are rumoured to be available. That's not me saying they're terrible players - they're good (I think Johnny is better than Monahan though), and they should be worth plenty in a trade - but I'm not sure they can be key cogs in a team that finds success in the playoffs.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-14-2020 at 06:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #2991
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Keep in mind Monahan is two years younger than Gaudreau.

If we gave Johnny until this past year to "prove it", then Monahan deserves another 1-2 seasons to figure it out. At least he was working on areas of weakness this year. Johnny was doing the same stale #### out there.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #2992
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Trading Monahan would be a mistake unless it’s an upgrade. However, Top Centers are rarity available.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #2993
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The legend of Andrew Mangiapane! Reading this thread I had to pinch myself to make sure I was in reality and not some dream where Mangiapane was an elite player. I like the player but I'm not even convinced he's top 6 material at this point let alone the silly talk going on here.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #2994
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is going to be a long winded post to express my distaste for a fan favorite!

One poster said he waited years for a centre like Monahan. We have two better on our roster right now and going back 10 years I can name a handful better then him.

Some posters look to him like he is more valuable being a centre.Yes the position is more sought out but you fail to realize one thing...by the definition of the position he is a brutal centre. His defensive zone coverage is suspect 95 percent of the time and if he doesn't get "found" on the rush by Johnny he is useless in the O zone. Every team has him figured out by simply playing him physical in the slot and outnumbering him with every sustained pressure.

He doesn't skate good, hes not physical, he is quickly becoming overpaid and if we can con a gm into taking this guy it would be a team success.

Think about it, someone has to score. They (the first line) are put in the most favorable positions to do it. Lindholm outscored monahan last year and will for many a season to come but yet some fans don't hold Lindholm in as high regard.

I am so done with Monahan. I remember when fans used to compare the flames young core to Kane and Toews. What a joke that looks like now. We will never win with Monahan as our top line centre.

Look at his post season performances. One poster mentioned 8 points in 10 playoff games (this year). How many of those were secondary assists on the powerplay? Or assists on empty net goals. (dont get me started on Sean/John out there protecting the lead)

Every single time hes been in the playoffs and been matched against another teams top centre or even 2nd/3rd line centre he has failed. I actually was a little sick when someone compared him to Getzlaf in a previous post.

Schiefle would have ate his breakfast and we would have undoubtedly lost the series against Winnipeg if it were not for an unfortunate injury.

I realize everybody is untitled to their own opinion but I really am COUNTING down the day for him to be ejected.

Some posters feel like this core was stifled by Bennett not becoming what we all thought he would be. I agree in some respects but also I counter with Monahan hasn't lived up to what he did in his first two seasons as a flame and became an even more one dimensional player then our 4th round pick JH.

Last edited by TheChief; 10-14-2020 at 07:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChief For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #2995
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say anything you want about Flames players but don’t ever use the ‘No Good’ tag line on one... that is reserved for the team and players up north.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #2996
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd keep Monahan over Gaudreau any day of the week.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #2997
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'd keep Monahan over Gaudreau any day of the week.
Although, trading Monahan while keeping Gaudreau, only for him to walk as a free agent in 2 seasons would be a very Calgary Flames thing to do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #2998
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Gaudreau vs Monahan would be the prudent decision Because of the shear number of LH LWers we have in our system and on the big club. It really is hard to think of trading either of them honestly we’ve had some tough playoff performances but those aside Johnny and Mony have given us a ton to be excited about over the last 6 or so years and I thank them for that excitement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #2999
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Although, trading Monahan while keeping Gaudreau, only for him to walk as a free agent in 2 seasons would be a very Calgary Flames thing to do.
Why you gotta put it out in the universe like that? Haven't we suffered enough? :P
Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #3000
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for the cap situation, Mangiapane and Kylington are considered roster players, so even after they receive their contracts, the Flames will have to add six players to the roster.

There is currently 5.7M in cap, and let's say Magiapane and Kylington together cost 3M for the season. That leaves the team with 2.7M for six players.

Something has to give.