Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2024, 03:07 PM   #2981
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
In east Asian markets they mainly use Tron to move USDT around. I would assume most heavies are using it for the same thing; there's about $8b locked in on Tron at any given time.
Central Calgary also mainly uses Tron as well.

I predict it reaches an all time high this year.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:22 PM   #2982
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm surprised that a crypto would steal a trademark brand from Disney, seems a little blatant even for that world.

I don't think Disney can own a name like that, can they? They didn't invent the word Tron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(disambiguation)
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:22 PM   #2983
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Tron is basically doing what Dash and Litecoin tried to do back in 2017/2018 in South America but with much much much more success; allowing direct USD 1:1 fund transfers between users with decent speed and minimal fees, but with intense levels of adoption in Asia.

There's of course lots of speculation that TRON is a papertiger (a la Terra) because Justin Sun (founder) is known as a grifter (in crypto?? shocking!) and it's actual value is far lower than it's TVL would indicate, but the block explorer shows it's handling about ~4-5m transactions a day which puts it firmly on-par with Arbitrum and Polygon and such for general usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 04:46 PM   #2984
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
about that avatar bet?

I say BTC all time high in 2024

you are such an expert it should be an easy win no?
CP is the 1%, avatar bets are for the poors. I will bet you $1000 CAD that BTC will *not* reach an all-time high in 2024. Since I can't find a legit escrow site that supports betting, I propose we ask Locke - since I know him, and so do many other people on CP - to hold the money and award it on January 1st 2025.

It's easy money Dino! You'll make 100% in less than 12 months! (Or I will.)

Terms:

jammies bets $1000 CAD that btc (bitcoin) does not exceed the all time high sell price of $69,044.77 USD before 12:01 AM MST Dec 31, 2024.

dino7c bets $1000 CAD that btc (bitcoin) will exceed its all time high sell price and reach at least $69,044.78 USD before 12:01 AM MST Dec 31, 2024.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:14 PM   #2985
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah Tron is basically doing what Dash and Litecoin tried to do back in 2017/2018 in South America but with much much much more success; allowing direct USD 1:1 fund transfers between users with decent speed and minimal fees, but with intense levels of adoption in Asia.

There's of course lots of speculation that TRON is a papertiger (a la Terra) because Justin Sun (founder) is known as a grifter (in crypto?? shocking!) and it's actual value is far lower than it's TVL would indicate, but the block explorer shows it's handling about ~4-5m transactions a day which puts it firmly on-par with Arbitrum and Polygon and such for general usage.
This guy and this Tron? (Alameda mention)

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:32 PM   #2986
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
CP is the 1%, avatar bets are for the poors. I will bet you $1000 CAD that BTC will *not* reach an all-time high in 2024. Since I can't find a legit escrow site that supports betting, I propose we ask Locke - since I know him, and so do many other people on CP - to hold the money and award it on January 1st 2025.

It's easy money Dino! You'll make 100% in less than 12 months! (Or I will.)

Terms:

jammies bets $1000 CAD that btc (bitcoin) does not exceed the all time high sell price of $69,044.77 USD before 12:01 AM MST Dec 31, 2024.

dino7c bets $1000 CAD that btc (bitcoin) will exceed its all time high sell price and reach at least $69,044.78 USD before 12:01 AM MST Dec 31, 2024.
If BTC hits an all time high this year I will make at least $300,000 USD on BTC between now an then. $1000 bet makes no sense for me it's basically 1000 risk and no worthwhile payoff
I would rather you have your avatar for a year
Old 01-17-2024, 09:37 PM   #2987
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If BTC hits an all time high this year I will make at least $300,000 USD on BTC between now an then. $1000 bet makes no sense for me it's basically 1000 risk and no worthwhile payoff
I would rather you have your avatar for a year
Technically you would make back 300k you had lost but that’s splitting hairs.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:45 PM   #2988
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Technically you would make back 300k you had lost but that’s splitting hairs.
My initial investment was $11,000.00

current value is $426,000.00 USD

all time high would be at least

$675,670 USD

So I guess we are looking at about $250k gain from today to whenever

$911,000.00 Canadian dollars total value

I never lost anything because I never sold for fiat...I had 10 Bitcoins in this account the entire time

Last edited by dino7c; 01-17-2024 at 09:47 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:28 AM   #2989
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to BBC, Stanley cups have sold out across the US in a craze that's seen crowds camping outside of supermarkets to get their hands on one. Their trading value has skyrocketed. If you can get your hands on any, you could probably 50x your money. Even higher if the smart billionaires get in on this opportunity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67999424

Quote:
Thirst for the craze has even seen people resort to attempts at law-breaking, with one popular video showing a man jumping across a Starbucks counter in an effort to steal a hot pink limited edition of the flask.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:15 AM   #2990
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
My initial investment was $11,000.00

current value is $426,000.00 USD

all time high would be at least

$675,670 USD

So I guess we are looking at about $250k gain from today to whenever

$911,000.00 Canadian dollars total value

I never lost anything because I never sold for fiat...I had 10 Bitcoins in this account the entire time
One thing that annoys me about people that are involved in crypto is when people start bragging about the value of their holdings.

Nobody does that will real estate, stocks, other investments, etc.

Be better.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:17 AM   #2991
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or when they call it "investing".
Old 01-18-2024, 10:24 AM   #2992
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Taken profits on the way up."

"Retired."

"Never sold for fiat."
Old 01-18-2024, 12:38 PM   #2993
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Coinbase said buying cryptocurrency on an exchange was more like collecting Beanie Babies than investing in a stock or bond.

Well that should settle it...But naw, Coinbase doesn't really GET Crypto, you know? No like sophisticated "investors."

Quote:
The biggest US crypto exchange made the comparison Wednesday in a New York federal court hearing. Coinbase was arguing for the dismissal of a Securities and Exchange Commission lawsuit accusing it of selling unregistered securities. William Savitt, a lawyer for Coinbase, told US District Judge Katherine Polk Failla that tokens trading on the exchange aren't securities subject to SEC jurisdiction because buyers don't gain any rights as a part of their purchases, as they do with stocks or bonds. "It's the difference between buying Beanie Babies Inc and buying Beanie Babies," Savitt said. The question of whether digital tokens are securities has divided courts.
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/24/0...-beanie-babies

Keeping in mind they are only making this argument to avoid being regulated, which should also tell you a few things about how well protected your, uh, "investments" are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 12:51 PM   #2994
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
"Taken profits on the way up."

"Retired."

"Never sold for fiat."
Uh, I have said I also have a day trade account and trade in other crypto...and I don't "work" because of market investments

never said it was crypto alone

I suppose I work managing my investments but I quit my day job...that is why I can talk to you lovely people day and night

Last edited by dino7c; 01-18-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:51 PM   #2995
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone here have Bitcoin that you mined yourself?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:52 PM   #2996
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
One thing that annoys me about people that are involved in crypto is when people start bragging about the value of their holdings.

Nobody does that will real estate, stocks, other investments, etc.

Be better.
come on now, he called my out for losing money and if it hits all time highs I am just gaining back lost money
Old 01-18-2024, 12:55 PM   #2997
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
According to BBC, Stanley cups have sold out across the US in a craze that's seen crowds camping outside of supermarkets to get their hands on one. Their trading value has skyrocketed. If you can get your hands on any, you could probably 50x your money. Even higher if the smart billionaires get in on this opportunity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67999424

I've been seeing news stories about Stanley cups being sold at Starbucks for a while now and thought it had something to do with the great chalice but never looked more into it. Popped into a Starbucks here in Toronto and didn't see any signage so figured it was offered in the US only. Had no idea it had nothing to do with the Stanley Cup!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 12:56 PM   #2998
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Or when they call it "investing".
An investment involves putting capital to use today in order to increase its value over time. An investment requires putting capital to work, in the form of time, money, effort, etc., in hopes of a greater payoff in the future than what was originally put in.

more solid advice from "$3000 peak bubble" Fuzz

you may not like it buy buying Crypto is certainly investing

Last edited by dino7c; 01-18-2024 at 12:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 01:09 PM   #2999
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are speculative investments, in our view. We don't believe that Bitcoin fits within traditional asset allocation models at this time, as it is neither a traditional commodity, such as gold, nor a traditional currency. Bitcoin's dramatic volatility is driven primarily by supply and demand, not inherent value. Bitcoin doesn't have earnings or revenues. It doesn't have a price-to-earnings ratio, price-to-sales ratio, or book value. Traditional value metrics don't apply, so there are no methods for assessing its value that we endorse or find persuasive.
https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/c...ou-invest-them

Technically, I guess.

Also, when you just copy text from a Google search, it's considered good form to post the source, rather than making it look like you came up with the words. That's called "plagiarizing" but I don't suppose details like that matter in your life.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:28 PM   #3000
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/c...ou-invest-them

Technically, I guess.

Also, when you just copy text from a Google search, it's considered good form to post the source, rather than making it look like you came up with the words. That's called "plagiarizing" but I don't suppose details like that matter in your life.
you can't be serious, I posted the definition because you seemed unclear

post your source, on CP

haha

and your article is opinion, dinosaur opinions from people who have continually be wrong on Crypto

IMO

Last edited by dino7c; 01-18-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum