Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #281
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looking at Google maps; it looks like the only overpass in on Southland Drive.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #282
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Does Southland station have a pedestrian overpass at the south side of the station that goes both West and East towards Superstore? I was on a packed train one day going down there and barely noticed something. There's a house I'm thinking of renting in the area and being able to walk over to the C-Train and Superstore would be nice
There is a new pedestrian bridge South of the station. I'm not sure if its open yet and I've never seen anybody use it, but it is there.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #283
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
There is a new pedestrian bridge South of the station. I'm not sure if its open yet and I've never seen anybody use it, but it is there.
Overpass taking you where? (Not to sound dickish, but I didn't know of this project). Can't really see the need for an overpass taking you to the parking lot that you can already walk to; so I'll assume its an overpass up the hill to Superstore.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #284
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Overpass taking you where? (Not to sound dickish, but I didn't know of this project). Can't really see the need for an overpass taking you to the parking lot that you can already walk to; so I'll assume its an overpass up the hill to Superstore.
In the summer I worked in southport, the set of twin buildings right beside the station. There is an overpass that takes you over the tracks, and from there its a short walk to superstore
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #285
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Sweet, I knew I wasn't going crazy
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #286
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another good and thorough article in today's Herald about the future of the C-Train. I guess they must be doing some sort of series on it.

Quote:
Six-legged LRT with 45 new stations slated for Calgary

70-km addition in next 30 years to offer airport, southeast links

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald January 16, 2011 7:34 AM

In its first three decades, the C-Train has spread out its light-rail tendrils 46 kilometres.

With three more decades' worth of expansions essentially mapped out, it stands to stretch out more than 70 additional kilometres, becoming a six-legged monster with more than 45 new stations.

And yes, that includes an airport LRT stop.

Most plans are still many years, engineering studies and billions of dollars away.

"As much as we love the C-Train -- and we do -- there are two drawbacks with C-Train: it's very expensive and it's very inflexible, so we have to be really darn sure when we lay those tracks that's exactly the right thing to do," Mayor Naheed Nenshi says.

"And we have to weigh that against other public transit priorities."

[...]

But with the fullest year of West LRT construction ahead, as well as an imminent council decision on how fast the southeast line gets built and a major consultation on where another train route should go, the C-Train's 30th-anniversary year will be a pivotal one in its history. Here's a look at the C-Train now and into the future:

[...]

Until recently, the city deemed the subway line a necessity this decade, a priority before even the southeast LRT.

McKendrick now says the shift to four-car trains will greatly forestall the plan, although a north-central alignment along Nose Creek would also use the 7th Avenue corridor and hasten the subway dig's timeline.

[...]

LRT Advances

Mid-2011 -¦ Digital displays will be erected at C-Train stations alerting riders when the next three trains will arrive;

-¦ Fare machines at stations that allow credit-card use.

2012 - -Smart-card fare payment begins;

-¦ West LRT opens to 69th Street.

2014 -¦ Four-car trains on Tuscany-Somerset line.
Link to rest of the article

Last edited by frinkprof; 01-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #287
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
McKendrick now says the shift to four-car trains will greatly forestall the plan, although a north-central alignment along Nose Creek would also use the 7th Avenue corridor and hasten the subway dig's timeline
Man I hope they don't put the LRT up Nose Creek. I understand that it would be easier/cheaper, but I think we'd still be getting worse value for money, since it's signicantly inferior to going up around Centre Street/Edmonton Trail.

My preferred option for personal reasons would be Edmonton Trail, but I suspect the best option for the most number of people would be up Centre Street to Beddington and then across to the airport.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #288
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Man I hope they don't put the LRT up Nose Creek. I understand that it would be easier/cheaper, but I think we'd still be getting worse value for money, since it's signicantly inferior to going up around Centre Street/Edmonton Trail.

My preferred option for personal reasons would be Edmonton Trail, but I suspect the best option for the most number of people would be up Centre Street to Beddington and then across to the airport.
The sad irony of the North Central line (via Centre Street) is that they've got the right of way set aside for it North of Beddington Trail, but between there and downtown it will be an expensive build. Nearly exclusively elevated or underground. It would be the best option, IMO.

Nose Creek would be a waste. Barely anyone lives or works along there, and luckily, Nenshi has mentioned that as well.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #289
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

And regarding the airport, I like the idea of a spur line from an existing LRT line. Diverting the NE or the NC line to the airport wouldn't be the most efficient way to do it however. It would be cool to have a hub station either on the NC or NE line and then have a separate sput that goes back and forth to the airport. Maybe the airport authority would even want to be on board with funding.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #290
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who lives up centre street I much prefer Nenshi quasi euro street car suggestion for Centre street rather than LRT. Convert 2 lanes of traffic into a street car/train.

With all the hills etc I dont see a full lrt/subway working up centre street.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #291
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Check out the city's BRT network plan. You can find it on the council agenda and minutes page, on the agenda for the Jan 19 SPC on land use, planning, and transportation.

I would link, but the links expire quickly.

Highlights:
Short term:
301 enhancements
302 enhancements and extension to South Health Campus
305 extension and enhancements
Airport BRT down centre street
SW crosstown from Westbrook station to Quarry Park (serves MRU) - phase 1 only to Heritage Station
SW woodbine to downtown phase 1

Medium Term:
Brentwood to Saddletowne - serving 16th ave and 52nd street NE
Saddletowne to South Health Campus
SW Westbrook to Quarry Park phase 2
305 enhancements - 17th ave SE corridor enhancements
Downtown to woodbine phase 2

Long Term:
Airport BRT phase 2 - terminal to NE LRT
Sage Hill to Brentwood and to 96th ave NE (connections to NW and NC LRT lines)
Somerset Bridlewood to South Health Campus
162nd Ave SW BRT

You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #292
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

not happy about extension of 302. I am never going to get a seat now once the bus comes to new brighton drive at 52nd stop
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #293
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
not happy about extension of 302. I am never going to get a seat now once the bus comes to new brighton drive at 52nd stop
If people have a hard time getting seats there, Calgary Tranit will increase the frequency.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #294
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I doubt it. It is all ready once every 10 mins they wont increase it untill bus' don't stop because they are packed. mckenzie towne and new brighton need a legit express bus feature not a 302 wannabee route and run it more often since the current express bus' are always full and take a near identical route to the 302
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #295
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am sorry if I missed it but is there any talk of pro-rating the fares? This is very easily done with both bus and train tickets if/when the switch is made to smart cards. Scan in and then scan out - if you miss on the way out it charges the full fee.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #296
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Having to take transit that never provides me with a seat (including when I lived in Country Hills 301 to downtown), I don't think I'll shed a tear for you
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #297
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
As someone who lives up centre street I much prefer Nenshi quasi euro street car suggestion for Centre street rather than LRT. Convert 2 lanes of traffic into a street car/train.

With all the hills etc I dont see a full lrt/subway working up centre street.
I don't think Nenshi has ever proposed this. If you were looking at the long-term airport service plan, there was a proposal for a tram in there, and that was a hastily put together document by Calgary Transit, so that proposal may be a bit spurious.

It's not an uncommon sentiment though.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #298
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
I am sorry if I missed it but is there any talk of pro-rating the fares? This is very easily done with both bus and train tickets if/when the switch is made to smart cards. Scan in and then scan out - if you miss on the way out it charges the full fee.
There's been some discussion, but nothing official. I doubt we'll see it when the smart cards roll out.

Personally, I'm a bit wary of dynamic zone fare systems, and absolutely against discrete ones (hard-defined zone lines, when you pass one, the fare goes up). They have to be done right.

Last edited by frinkprof; 01-17-2011 at 06:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #299
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone who rides the south LRT line, keep an eye out for the latest delivery of a new LRT car. It is just south of Heritage Station, on the east side of the LRT tracks. It is on a rail car under a blue tarp. Should be there for at least tomorrow and maybe a couple days after that.

This is what an LRT car looks like when it gets delivered to Calgary after making the long journey from Sacramento, California:

Photo by mersar on SSP.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #300
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh-heh..."Do not hump".

I know some people are train enthusiasts, but that's a little ridiculous.

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings