Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #281
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sooo... should I suck up my ego, bite the bullet and lock my mortgage in (ie. equivalent of buy low sell high, haha)? Or has that ship sailed and now I should ride out my variable rate in the hopes rates go down later... got 2.5 years left until renewal
Honestly, this is an extremely personal question as you, and only you know your own risk tolerance. If these rates and the potential for higher rates in the near future are causing you to lose sleep, then maybe lock for 3 years and revisit at the end of the term.

Fwiw, a buddy of mine bought a new house in Feb this year and went variable. Each rate hike is painful. And he doesn't have the luxury of locking in for a short term. He basically has to lock for 5 years. Which is another set of headaches.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #282
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fiscal policy of the current government and endless nonsense spending has fuelled these rate hikes to control inflation as the media says. Well, here is the thing, interest rates for housing and borrowing have been all time low; because as each 3/4 point hike builds, homes truly do become unaffordable or attainable to most. Most importantly these rate hikes hit Canadian's extremely hard.

I feel bad for those who are going to be hit hard by this and the new generations of homebuyers entering the market.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #283
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing people should be weary of fixed mortgages are the stiff penalties to break them. With a variable rate at least it’s about three months interest as the penalty. With fixed rates it isn’t calculated the same across most lenders and the penalties are a lot higher. I’m on variable and oddly with cibc the payments are staying the same, but the proportion of what’s going to interest vs. principle is shifting each month more and more towards interest. I do think a year from now when the recession is official things should lower a bit so I think not locking in was a good idea, especially if I want to sell, I won’t no part of those fixed rate penalties.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #284
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The fiscal policy of the current government and endless nonsense spending has fuelled these rate hikes to control inflation as the media says. Well, here is the thing, interest rates for housing and borrowing have been all time low; because as each 3/4 point hike builds, homes truly do become unaffordable or attainable to most. Most importantly these rate hikes hit Canadian's extremely hard.

I feel bad for those who are going to be hit hard by this and the new generations of homebuyers entering the market.
Prices should drop accordingly, but of course it will take a while to balance out.

Everyone's been talking about how broken RE is in this country...correcting things was never going to be painless. Of course its debatable where 'correct' actually is, but it's high time we all had a wake up call. And I say this as a recent buyer (thankfully fixed low) who will feel a fair bit of pain before too long.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #285
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
One thing people should be weary of fixed mortgages are the stiff penalties to break them. With a variable rate at least it’s about three months interest as the penalty. With fixed rates it isn’t calculated the same across most lenders and the penalties are a lot higher. I’m on variable and oddly with cibc the payments are staying the same, but the proportion of what’s going to interest vs. principle is shifting each month more and more towards interest. I do think a year from now when the recession is official things should lower a bit so I think not locking in was a good idea, especially if I want to sell, I won’t no part of those fixed rate penalties.
That's actually the exact same situation as mine, same bank and everything. I didn't lock in because of the penalties associated with fixed... thought maybe the rates would go up a bit, but not this much. It's a double-edged sword - my monthly payments haven't increased, but the proportions of interest and principal have obviously changed. Took the variable as well because if a certain leader becomes premier next year, I wanted the option to leave the province if need be. That, and possibly exploring other career opportunities as well.

That said, I'll be putting more pre-payments on going forward. Or take that amount and invest it, try and beat the mortgage interest rates on return, and make a bigger lump sum payment upon renewal. Haven't decided yet.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #286
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The one good thing about increasing rates is that it forces and teaches fiscal awareness, fiscal prudence and should reduce debt levels. This is needed in this country and people need to start thinking about these things in such a competitive world.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:28 PM   #287
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Honestly, this is an extremely personal question as you, and only you know your own risk tolerance. If these rates and the potential for higher rates in the near future are causing you to lose sleep, then maybe lock for 3 years and revisit at the end of the term.
I would agree with this. You can try to look at the trends and what experts are projecting, but it should be a question of risk tolerance and what you can afford, not trying to crystal ball the future.

The point about penalties if you have to break your fixed rate mortgage early is also important; make sure you know how an IRD is calculated in the even rates drop in the future.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #288
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sooo... should I suck up my ego, bite the bullet and lock my mortgage in (ie. equivalent of buy low sell high, haha)? Or has that ship sailed and now I should ride out my variable rate in the hopes rates go down later... got 2.5 years left until renewal
The question isn’t whether you will save money by locking in.

It’s can you afford the worst case outcome of interest you can imagine then stay variable as variable over time is cheaper and very few can predict markets effectively.

I locked in at the start of the pandemic because if I lost a job I wanted fixed costs
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #289
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The question isn’t whether you will save money by locking in.

It’s can you afford the worst case outcome of interest you can imagine then stay variable as variable over time is cheaper and very few can predict markets effectively.

I locked in at the start of the pandemic because if I lost a job I wanted fixed costs
This is usually the case, but not necessarily the case. Variable has been cheaper for much of the last 40 years because we have been in a declining, and relatively predictable and stable, interest rate environment for the entire time. However, if we are entering a period where interest will oscillate up and down, and be volatile and difficult to predict, variable could be more expense for much of the period.

As Izzle said, this is a personal matter, factoring in one's personal risk tolerance. I don't think it's good advice at all to say that variable will be lower over time.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:21 PM   #290
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't Moshe Milevsky say that variable rates beat fixed only 66% of the time. I'm trying to find articles that support this but am drawing a blank. If that's the case, then we should consider that the times we're in currently is that 33% where fixed is better.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #291
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Didn't Moshe Milevsky say that variable rates beat fixed only 66% of the time. I'm trying to find articles that support this but am drawing a blank. If that's the case, then we should consider that the times we're in currently is that 33% where fixed is better.
If you were up for renewal late last year or early in 2022 you might beat variable. Do you think rates will increase (or not go down) for the next 5 years?

The economy would be in such a state that my mortgage would be the last thing I'm worried about.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:48 PM   #292
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
What we are seeing now has always been the risk with variable rate mortgages. The issue is that for the last 15 years variable rate would have been the better option given the incredibly low interest rates available.

I think that some people believed that these historically low interest rates would continue to be the better option and a lot of them are getting burned as a result.
The world has changed though. The days of interest rates your parents saw are gone. The modern economy can’t support it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 08:57 PM   #293
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The world has changed though. The days of interest rates your parents saw are gone. The modern economy can’t support it.
Also incredibly high interest rates aren't as universally devastating as people make it out to be. They also mean incredibly high returns on savings and low property prices. They reward those that are able to save.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:38 AM   #294
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Also incredibly high interest rates aren't as universally devastating as people make it out to be. They also mean incredibly high returns on savings and low property prices. They reward those that are able to save.
So less than 5% of the population?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #295
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds good, sign me up!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #296
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So less than 5% of the population?
Pretty much. But that's the same people who also seem to benefit from high prices. Basically, anyone with capital is going to benefit if interest rates are low or high. Canada is doing nothing to alleviate the housing crisis.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #297
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actual real interest rates are still very negative. The real rate is the interest rate minus the inflation rate, so it's negative as inflation is still higher than interest rates. That means savers lose purchasing power on their savings - ie if you save $100, you get say 3% interest so in a year you have $103. But the stuff you could have bought with $100 now costs $107, so you can't buy it.

And of course the $3 is income so you have to pay tax on it, so you really probably only have $102.

Inflation is absolutely a cost to savers, while higher interest rates are a cost to borrowers, and inflation is higher than interest rates, so borrowers are the net beneficiaries right now.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:17 AM   #298
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The one good thing about increasing rates is that it forces and teaches fiscal awareness, fiscal prudence and should reduce debt levels. This is needed in this country and people need to start thinking about these things in such a competitive world.
Budgets balance themselves. /s
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #299
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty much. But that's the same people who also seem to benefit from high prices. Basically, anyone with capital is going to benefit if interest rates are low or high. Canada is doing nothing to alleviate the housing crisis.
The lost value in hard assets like real estate would be magnitudes larger than the increased benefit of higher interest rates for savers. It is no doubt a net negative, as we saw the last time we had really high interest rates.

Also, high interest savings sounds good in theory, but if people stop spending, and hoard their savings, it is a net negative for the economy.

Finding a goldilocks level of interest rates (4-6% range?) is extremely difficult. Extremely low interest rates were never going to be sustainable. But very high interest rates are much worse.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #300
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a reason that central banks around the world settled on 2-3% as an inflation target